Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63992 Topics
446668 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224417 - 05/15/08 02:04 PM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: bardo213]
Calanthe Offline
New Here

Loc: California
Interesting question and though it has been said by others in different ways here is what think I a man is.

A man is what you are.

Your actions are what tell others what kind of man you are.

A simple point on having the right equipment between your legs, I agree with it as far as it goes…But I must simply state I know men who do not have the standard issue between theirs legs and women who can pass as men from the waist or neck down…so see my first point. (and gee I love living in such a versatile and uncertain world)

In answer to one of the other questions asked by Lynch what makes you happy? I am going to narrow it down that what makes me happy about being a man?

Here goes…That I don’t have to sit down to take a piss …nuff said ….lol

Enjoy,

Scott

And given the choice I will save my ass first everytime(STC)

#224451 - 05/15/08 07:29 PM . [Re: Calanthe]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 04:39 PM)

#224482 - 05/15/08 10:58 PM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: bardo213]
istrong Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: CT
Ok let me take a shot at it;
I should have learned through experience not to trust peopel.
*I trust anyways
I should have learned not to love or feel anymore.
*I still do with reckless abandon
I should have learned that the world is a dark and scary place.
*I stay optomistic every freakin day!
I should be mean because nice guys finish last.
*I'm nice anyways
I should have learned how to be a good little boy and be normal.
*BUT I've been forced to do to many things and I'm going to live life my own damn way!

So I guess Lynch, I'm the man I am today becasue of the things I didnt learn, or refused to learn.

I'd rather be above the grass than below it.

#224499 - 05/16/08 12:25 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: istrong]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I should be mean because nice guys finish last.
*I'm nice anyways

ahhh. but we ARE going to inherit the earth \:\)

That'll be cool

Stay strong
Mike

#224722 - 05/17/08 12:34 PM . [Re: mogigo]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 04:39 PM)

#230284 - 06/11/08 07:48 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: bardo213]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
very thought provoking question. it's the kind of question that invites people to look in the mirror of their souls and come up with more questions than answers.

'manliness' is a romanticized cultural ideal imposed on us from the day we are born. for me, being born at the point time that i was, i came to believe 'real' men naturally prefer blue, is heterosexually oriented, aspire to be jocks, have an urge to make war, is hairy and sweaty, is valued for his large genital equipment, has lots of testosterone, excels in sports, is superhuman; he embodies all the characteristics of gi joe, the marlboro man and ward cleaver. lest we forget, he is also trustworthy, loyal, helpful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. get the picture????

boy, i spent a lot of my life berating myself for not being able to measure down to that standard.

nowadays, having unburied myself from all that madness, i have come to allow myself a new model for aspiration: that a 'man' is a multi-dimensional person who has learned to transcend his own once accepted culturally imposed value system. in its place he has created another system within that functions to maintain balance between all of the dichotomies that he is challenged to juggle as he comes to terms with the process of becoming a fully human being living in a world of stereotypical expectations.

he humbly accepts his own limitations, and sees himself not so much as self made, but as part of a whole; his voice is 'not a monologue, but rather a chorus' of all those who contributed to shaping his spirit. he is free to utilize the talent resources he has been gifted with, cultivate them and express them and shares them freely.

peace to all,

ron

#230300 - 06/11/08 09:50 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: bardo213]
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
I think the simple answer is a penis and testicles. lol

But seriously, I'm not really sure what a man is supposed to be. I've been told by people, usually assholes, that "I act too gay," and that I should be "more manly." I think this is so ridiculous. I have no intention to act at all or to be somebody I'm not. "I'd rather let my flame burn bright than be some puny little pilot light!" Emmit Honeycutt QAF

#230301 - 06/11/08 09:53 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: JasonSmalls]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: JasonSmalls
I've been told by people, usually assholes, that "I act too gay," and that I should be "more manly." I think this is so ridiculous. I have no intention to act at all or to be somebody I'm not. "I'd rather let my flame burn bright than be some puny little pilot light!" Emmit Honeycutt QAF

You are so right. People who expect you to conform to their own vision of manhood are assholes indeed, and you know what, there is no pleasing them anyway. So why bother to try?

Just be yourself always. Flame on!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#230305 - 06/11/08 10:15 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: roadrunner]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Hey Jason. I'm just in the process of coming out. A well meaning therapist - the first person I said the words "I'm gay" to, said... "Well, the earring is suggestive, but you don't really have gay speech". I was insulted... I am not Gay Dan... I am Dan... a person, and I happen to be gay. I am also a friend, a father, an athlete, a reader, a movie watcher... I am me... and I am starting to realize that "me" is great!

You be yourself - People who worry about how YOU act have thier own issues and, as Larry says, will never be pleased - they want you to validate who THEY are - or who they want to be - to hell with them.

Jason=Just right!

Dan

Marge Simpson

#230309 - 06/11/08 10:26 AM Re: What does it take be a man? [Re: dannym]
JasonSmalls Offline

Loc: NJ
Dan,

The next time you see your therapist and he/she asks how you are, say loudly that you are FANTABULOUS! Than there won't be any suspicion of your sexuality. lol

Joey

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.