Newest Members
Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons, TantraPunk
12250 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Brandon (23), doctorfrau (51), dwigginsr (55), Glen (43), RFB (58)
Who's Online
7 registered (pufferfish, kcinohio, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, 3 invisible), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12250 Members
73 Forums
63101 Topics
441284 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#223621 - 05/10/08 10:20 PM Catch 22: Roadblocks
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I recently decided to go on medication because the talk therapy doesn't seem to be working, I don't have any motivation, I have trouble consentrating, social/generalized anxiety. Anyway, my therapist recommended someone who is out of network and while I can submit the bill and get remibursed I have to layout $150 for the inital consultation. Anyway, I made the appointment and I thought I would have the money because my federal economic stimulus payment was coming. Well it was supposed to be here by Friday and it hasn't arrived my appointment is 6pm on Tuesday, so if its not here by Monday, I need to cancel.

Actually I can pay for the session but then money would be so tight I couldn't even afford the medications that she'd prescribe. To make matters worse, my job will be moving to a more crowded area of our plaza where more teens are likely to hangout sometime around the beginning of June. That of course is one of my social anxieties, teens. And anyone who has taken any drugs for anxiety knows they generally take 3-4 weeks to work.

Somedays I think that life just has it in for me, I'll never be able to make my life better. Something will always come up and block me from doing what I need to do.

Jason

Edited by jtt5254 (05/10/08 10:25 PM)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#223623 - 05/10/08 10:36 PM Re: Catch 22: Roadblocks [Re: onlyakid]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hi Jason,

It sure does seem like everything goes wrong at the same time for us sometimes. I would encourage you to keep after it, even when you don't feel motivated to do so. I know that can be hard to do, but when I feel like throwing in the towel, it's usually when I'm just tired of dealing with all the crap.

As to the meds for anxiety, I take Alprazolam (generic Xanax) as needed which really helps me to calm down. It works from the first pill and takes about 20 minutes to kick in. So you might want to look into that if you're needing something with a more immediate impact.

#223655 - 05/11/08 03:12 AM Re: Catch 22: Roadblocks [Re: EGL]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

I know one thing I used to do that caused me a lot of anxiety and stress was generalizing things. That is, when something would go wrong I would think of other things that are going wrong, and before I knew it I had decided that the whole world was collapsing around me.

When things trouble me now, I try to think back and remember that I have been through this before and got through it - maybe not perfectly, and maybe way short of perfectly, but I got through it. That helped me to see that I would get through the present crisis as well.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#223670 - 05/11/08 05:02 AM Re: Catch 22: Roadblocks [Re: roadrunner]
hogan_dawg Offline

Hi Jason,

I hope your payment comes through fast and you can get the meds you need and the therapy you desire. All I can offer is to say that therapy and meds are worth it if you can get them nailed down.

Just hang in there buddy you're not alone.

Once you get the meds, just start taking them as per the pre>

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.