Newest Members
Jerone, teba, Serpenta, mojo, James M
12114 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 78 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12114 Members
73 Forums
62510 Topics
438086 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#222803 - 05/06/08 11:12 AM Dreams, Dissociation, and Somatic Experiencing
inthegrass33 Offline
New Here

I just wanted to share something--my experience with somatic experience just now really started. i read peter levine's book maybe about a year ago. did anyone notice that he didn't really give an idea about how to go about doing his therapy?! i did, but found this website and started to work on myself.

I have had dissociation or been "frozen" for about 22 years, i'm guessing. this shit is really hard--it's been hard to live, hard to decide, hard on every part of me. but the advice of the therapy is, i think, really working on me. i'm just now trying to separate the trauma in my nervous system with what i think and believe. so anyways, i'm having really profound dreams. very small muscles, tissues, parts of my body have been shaking--it FEELS like it's electricity almost where there was no feeling before. so i went to sleep last night and had a dream--long story short i felt i had to force my eyes open before it was over.

i don't know where i am on the road to recovery yet. i wish somepeople on here would let me know if they've been through this kind of de-tensing, shivering thing in their bodies and the coming back to physical life sort of thing. \

but in my body, i felt like i was two places at once. right now, as frozen, i don't really have an awareness of where i am, but in this dream thing, i was like in another place and i was really really really really scared of what was about to happen to me. i just hope i can face this next time. cause i was soooooo frightened.

thanks for listening people. send me some feedback, cause i feel really alone and crazy on this...uh...ride.

#222935 - 05/06/08 09:13 PM Re: Dreams, Dissociation, and Somatic Experiencing [Re: inthegrass33]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
I have never experienced muscle stuff that you are describing.I have experienced bizarre body sensations. They often have occured in the middle of the night, getting woken up by them. I have run through the house screaming in some weird state in the past. Woken up screaming and scared the crap out of my wife. I have had the sensation of feeling like I am two places at once. I have also had the experience of "losing time" and absolutely having no memory of a period of time or event and being told about it by my wife, my grandmother's funeral, for example. I still get tunnel vision sometimes ... usually when I get really tired. There is a definate body connection in my opinion. When I was going through a bunch of this shit I ended up having MAJOR surgery on butt --I will spare you the details only to say it was MUCH more than a hemorhoid... and something that the surgeon said he only sees once or twice a year. I am a really healthy, active and relatively young guy! Freaking bizzarre!!!

Dude, I am getting through it. You are too!! Hang in there. This may not make any sense... but I am going to say it... Stay in your eyes. Stay in the here and now. Ground yourself. I have often done this by looking at specific things in my surroundings... for example.. I was driving down the interstate and having a difficult time in my head.. I started looking at my surroundings, noting them out loud.. Green sign, blue car, white puffy cloud, the song playing on the radio is____, I am going 70 miles per hour, Hertz truck, silver Nissan... things to ground me into the here and now... Hope it helps.

Edited by River (05/06/08 09:14 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.