Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dannyboy22 (31), ScorpioBlue (45), Wife - Survivor (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (Bloom, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63856 Topics
445878 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#222115 - 05/02/08 10:43 AM The Lost Necklace
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
This came through my inbox today and since we all seem to be trying to find ourselves I thought I would post it here.

The Lost Necklace

...No special effort is necessary to realize the Self.

All efforts are for eliminating the present obscuration of the Truth. A lady is wearing a necklace around her neck. She forgets it, imagines it to be lost and impulsively looks for it here, there and everywhere.

Not finding it, she asks her friends if they found it anywhere, until one kind friend points to her neck and tells her to feel the necklace around her neck. The seeker does so and feels happy that the necklace is found.

Again, when she meets other friends, they ask her if her lost necklace was found. She says, "yes" to them, as if it were lost and later recovered. Her happiness at re-discovering it round her neck is the same as if some lost property was recovered. In fact, she never lost it nor recovered it. And yet she was once miserable and now she is happy.

So also with the Realization of the Self.--

Ramana Maharshi, 365 Nirvana, Here and Now

#222718 - 05/05/08 11:56 PM Re: The Lost Necklace [Re: Curtis St. John]
Gerald2007 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeastern US
Curtis,
Thank you. The story is powerful.
Gerald

#222794 - 05/06/08 09:52 AM Re: The Lost Necklace [Re: Gerald2007]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
That metaphor must have been cooked up with me in mind..not 'cause I'm "self-realised" or anything, but because it would be just like me to be looking for something that's hanging around my neck!lol

That is a good analogy though. \:\)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.