Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#222411 - 05/04/08 09:14 AM The Time Traveler's Wife
rchsweetie Offline
New Here

I'm wondering if anyone has read the book "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger? And if they found the same connections that I did...

The overview of the book is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveler's_Wife

I know that the book is supposed to be about this man named Henry who, under stress and pressure and without the ability to control it, jumps to different points of time in his life. And there are specific points of his life that he continues to revisit (like the car crash that killed his mother).

It is a love story, and it is as much about Claire, the woman who loves him, as it is about Henry. And Claire has learned to live with the fact that she can never count on Henry showing up, that at big events in their life (like their wedding and the birth of their daughter) he might not be there because they are stressful moments and that is what causes him to disappear.

Anyway, I could continue, but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it - but I identified with Claire so strongly. She loved someone who, while he loved her back, wasn't able to love her in the way that other couples do. He wanted to be with her, but couldn't necessarily control when he "left" (to me this is dissociation - just that Henry's body when with his brain). And she couldn't necessarily introduce him to her friends and family, because their relationship was far from normal. I found it to be incredibly brave of her to be able to plan a wedding, not really knowing for sure that he would show up.

The entire time I was reading it, I couldn't help but think about how similar the situation is to a CSA survivor (and/or a trauma survivor), and their partner.

I don't like to read too much into books that wasn't meant to be there - but this one really intrigued me. And I'm wondering if any one else had a similar take on the book.

#222560 - 05/05/08 12:36 AM Re: The Time Traveler's Wife [Re: rchsweetie]
childsplay4 Offline

Loc: USA
What an interesting and complex book! Thanks for sharing.
Sadly, I can definitely see the parallels.
Take Care of yourself,
CP4

#222706 - 05/05/08 10:33 PM Re: The Time Traveler's Wife [Re: childsplay4]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
rchsweetie,

I've never read the book, but it does sound like it has a hauntingly familiar ring.

ROCK ON........Trish

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.