Newest Members
stillhere35, RKS, Albertus, Judd, LMG
12555 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
2dayistheday (34), 4LaurenAline2 (48), akn (61), barrington (65), Gideonfl (52), James Michael (57), Obi (44), tu (46), Vedder32 (34), yoga_mom (46)
Who's Online
5 registered (bluesky, NoSimpleMachine, MYTIME, 2 invisible), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12555 Members
73 Forums
64435 Topics
450077 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#222903 - 05/06/08 06:22 PM Re: Overwhelming Fears Of Invasive Medical Procedures [Re: jcf1957]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago. They adjusted the anesthetic so that I was not aware of anything.

The prostate palpation occurs with the yearly checkup. I at one time had severe PTSD but a T helped me. His technique was quite simple.

The T asked me: "Are you aware at all that you are not really there (as a child)?" This broke the bubble for me. I was able to inject my conscious mind into that PTSD thing and that made the bubble pop - like the disguise of the Wizzard of Oz.

#222957 - 05/06/08 11:45 PM Re: Overwhelming Fears Of Invasive Medical Procedures [Re: pufferfish]
johnnymike Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
I work as a caregiver and this Friday I will be taking the gentleman to the urologist for a cystoscopy. The urologist said he will be injecting some numbing lubrication into the urethra and then will be inserting a probe to examine the prostate. This is not a rectal exam.

I have shared with my doctor both my childhood and adult abuse. He now mentions what he thinks he needs to check and I can tell him when I am ready for it. I find it easier when I decide when the time is right.

I can not drag myself to the dentist. I was working part time in retail when my dentist came in to shop. I told him I would like to make an appointment and explain my issues and why I have not been able to see him. In the midst of the conversation I began to tear up and feel shame. Of course I have never followed through.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.