Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444081 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#221859 - 05/01/08 07:22 AM White House Admits Fault on Banner
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota

White House Admits Fault on Banner
By TERENCE HUNT,AP

WASHINGTON (April 30) - The White House said Wednesday that President Bush has paid a price for the "Mission Accomplished" banner that was flown in triumph five years ago but later became a symbol of U.S. misjudgments and mistakes in the long and costly war in Iraq.

Thursday is the fifth anniversary of Bush's dramatic landing in a Navy jet on an aircraft carrier homebound from the war. The USS Abraham Lincoln had launched thousands of airstrikes on Iraq.

"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended," Bush said at the time. "The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on Sept. 11, 2001, and still goes on." The "Mission Accomplished" banner was prominently displayed above him a move the White House came to regret as the display was mocked and became a source of controversy.

After shifting explanations, the White House eventually said the "Mission Accomplished" phrase referred to the carrier's crew completing its 10-month mission, not the military completing its mission in Iraq. Bush, in October 2003, disavowed any connection with the "Mission Accomplished" message. He said the White House had nothing to do with the banner; a spokesman later said the ship's crew asked for the sign and the White House staff had it made by a private vendor.

"President Bush is well aware that the banner should have been much more specific and said `mission accomplished' for these sailors who are on this ship on their mission," White House press secretary Dana Perino said Wednesday. "And we have certainly paid a price for not being more specific on that banner. And I recognize that the media is going to play this up again tomorrow, as they do every single year."

She said what is important now is "how the president would describe the fight today. It's been a very tough month in Iraq, but we are taking the fight to the enemy."

At least 49 U.S. troops died in Iraq in April, making it the deadliest month since September when 65 U.S. troops died.

Now in its sixth year, the war in Iraq has claimed the lives of at least 4,061 members of the U.S. military. Only the Vietnam War (August 1964 to January 1973), the war in Afghanistan (October 2001 to present) and the Revolutionary War (July 1776 to April 1783) have engaged America longer.

Bush, in a speech earlier this month, said that "while this war is difficult, it is not endless."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

#221983 - 05/01/08 04:52 PM Re: White House Admits Fault on Banner [Re: AndyJB2005]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Bush, in a speech earlier this month, said that "while this war is difficult, it is not endless."

It's just mindless!

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

#222122 - 05/02/08 11:20 AM Re: White House Admits Fault on Banner [Re: Stephen_5]
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing.
- Ben Okri

Vote early, and often.

#222129 - 05/02/08 12:10 PM Re: White House Admits Fault on Banner [Re: Don-NY]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
President Bush, (I call him "President" only to honor the title, not him), to this day, fails to realize that although conquest is easy, subjugation and occupation of countries via military force is not.

Anyone who knew of the history of our occupation of the Philippines after we "liberated" it from Spain, will tell you that a country that does not want us there, must either be ruled with an iron fist, or not at all. There is no middle ground. It takes a brutal dictator like Josep Tito to make such diverse ethnic tribes "get along" and "play nice" with each other. Which leads to my next point.

This "country" of Iraq, isn't a country AT ALL. Those straight arbitrary lines that you see forming borders between Iran and Turkey and and Saudi Arabia were drawn by Winston Churchill and his cohorts after WWI (probably in the morning when he was drunk on his morning brandy still) with BLATANT disregard of the ethnic tribes and their histories that comprise not only "Iraq", but all other former British Colonies that lay next to it.

Larry? Could you perhaps elaborate on this? (I notice that that the only professor of Middle East History on this site is eerily quiet on this matter).

#222142 - 05/02/08 01:37 PM Re: White House Admits Fault on Banner [Re: Hauser]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
What I never got about the Iraq war was, we supposedly wanted to topple this dictator to "save" the citizens of Iraq and give them democracy.

Trouble is, there's 1000s of dictators world wide subjugating their populations. Why did we never go to their aid? What is it about Iraq? (Oil?? lol)

It just boggles my mind people who don't see the illogic in all this mess, and even defend it. I can't wrap my head around it. lol

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.