Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (susie, 1 invisible), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63557 Topics
444051 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#222082 - 05/02/08 03:38 AM Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada
scotia1 Offline

The age of consensual sex was officially raised from 14 to 16 in Canada today. My thoughts are that it’s a long time coming, but I’m happy at least it’s here. It should help with putting a few more scum-bags that hurt children behind bars.

What are your thoughts?

Scotia

Edited by scotia1 (05/02/08 03:39 AM)

#222095 - 05/02/08 06:59 AM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: scotia1]
Hourglass52 Offline

Loc: New York
The law is a good place to start, but each case should be treated, and investigated individually. When I was 16 I knew sex felt good, but I had no idea of the consequences of my actions. If a 17 year old manipulative person takes advantage of an immature 16 year old just for sex I would call it rape.

#222121 - 05/02/08 11:16 AM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: Hourglass52]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Its definately a start but the law is still flawed, it has a "close-in-age" exemption that allows for someone to be up to 5 years older. Example a 17 year old can have sex with a 12 year old. So that means a Junior/Senior in HS can have sex with a 7th grader. Anyone see anything wrong with that? Canada doesn't

**edited: I just read in another article that the close in age exemption only applies to people 14 and up, so it is a little bit better but I'm not exactly thrilled with a college freshmen and a highschool freshmen (or possibly even an 8th grader)

Edited by jtt5254 (05/02/08 12:08 PM)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#222127 - 05/02/08 11:54 AM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: onlyakid]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
My understanding of such laws is hazy.

What is the legal situation if two 15-year-olds have sex. Is it considered a crime?

#222130 - 05/02/08 12:10 PM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: VLinvictus]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
No not a crime VL. Their is an exemption for teens that are 14 or older provided the age difference isn't more than 5 years.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#222148 - 05/02/08 02:13 PM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: onlyakid]
scotia1 Offline

VL; you asked about two 15 year olds having sex, is it a crime? That would depend. If it is consensual then No it isn’t a crime. If it’s not consensual (one forces the other) then it would be a crime. However, it would have to be proven in a court that it was forced sex, and that can be difficult.
The point of this law is mainly to protect kids under 16. Even if a child said to an adult of say 30 years old, “I want to have sex with you”. , and if the 30 year old did have sex with the child (under 16), then the 30 year old would be committing a crime! Before in Canada, it was only a crime if the child was under 14, or if it could be proven (which is tough to do) that the person of 30 years was in a “position of power” (i.e.; teacher, coach, parent, etc) over the person which was 14 or 15. 16 or over however was always fair game (which I personally don’t agree with), and the burden is on the prosecutor to prove it was forced (or unwanted) sex.
Hope that helps,
Scotia

#222152 - 05/02/08 02:25 PM Re: Consensual sex raised from age 14 to 16 in Canada [Re: scotia1]
scotia1 Offline

To add: This new law is to try and make it easier to prosecute pedophiles for committing acts against kids, and in particular now acts against 14 & 15 year olds are a No-No, no matter what. However, the law is not there to prosecute teens having sex. There is a 5 year differental clause (i.e.; 14 yr & 19 yr still OK). Meaning sex between two individuals up to 5 years apart in age is still not illegal, and sex between younger kids is the responsibility of the parents not the kids.

I think it still may have a few flaws, but it's a good start.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.