Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64018 Topics
446773 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#221764 - 04/30/08 05:37 PM Campus T-Shirt Project
blueelectron9 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
Hello, Survivors,

It's been a busy year on campus--what reminded me that is was another year was that there's the T-Shirt project in the central quad. These T-Shirts are from (primarily, as far as I can tell) women who have been r* or m*. I recall last year thinking to myself, "I wonder why there aren't any men who have their T-Shirts here" and then proceeded to make obligations to try to get involved with the campus and bring the topic of male survivors up.

Luckily, the year is up and I did make some progress. The progress came towards the very end of my "resolution" period and manifested itself when I attended a disabled student services meeting. In that meeting were people with disabilities--some physical, and some emotional (depression, etc.). Of note was that it was mentioned that a particular woman was a survivor. I really wanted to speak and quote some statistics such as the number of men/boys who were a*, but I didn't want to distract from the primary purpose of the meeting.

Regardless, I received an e-mail the next day from a facilitator asking for therapist recommendations for a client. Since she asked for references, I mentioned that I was also a survivor of childhood s* ab* and later r* as an adult and mentioned that few think that this can happen to men/boys, etc. I was able to give her the contact information to http://www.MaleSurvivor.org and she seemed grateful to have the additional resource.

So, here it is again a year later and the clothesline project is underway, and a quick browse on my way to class didn't show any signs of male survivors. I hope it doesn't take me another (almost) year to get this large campus in the know and maybe incorporate some awareness.

In the end, the T-Shirts bring back some very fond memories of the few retreats that I've attended. One of the healing and empowering activities was to create a T-Shirt, decorated with just about anything and saying whatever it is I wanted to say. One year, IIRC, I had a very small child's T-Shirt, and was able to get in touch with more of myself.

All in all, it's really nice to see the campus take such active roles in promoting mental health and such.

I wish you all the very best.

((hugs))
--Scott

#221779 - 04/30/08 07:18 PM Re: Campus T-Shirt Project [Re: blueelectron9]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Scott,

It's good to see you doing well and becoming active in this field. When I begin to get down about how little difference an individual seems to make I remind myself that I can never really know who has been moved by something I have said. I like to think that all it takes is one comment - someone might hear that and be moved to start out on his own recovery, or to look into a possibly abusive situation he knows about, or to reach out to a survivor.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.