Newest Members
Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss, JW1230
12363 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12363 Members
74 Forums
63536 Topics
443896 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#228079 - 05/31/08 10:36 AM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: AndyJB2005]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
St. John's Wort has been shown to be as effective as anti-depressants, it's an herb just hasn't had "illegal" attached to it....yet. If it conflicts with big drug manufacturers it might someday be. I am still not understanding why having the government classify something legal after all the crap the FDA has allowed into our system would make it better than an herb which grows in nature and has been the victim of politics.

#228115 - 05/31/08 12:49 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: Corbin327]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
You touched on it: It is an illegal substance. You get caught even by your employer the consequences can be pretty rough. Just a few years ago in Laramie, Wyoming, a 20 year old junior at the University of Wyoming was talked into sparing a joint after meeting someone at a bar for college kids. This kid was on the National Honor Society. He was charged with selling pot to an undercover narc, and got 2 to 4 years in the penetentiary. He was a fairly petite kid. Gee, I wonder if he is screwed up for life? For 28 years I really didn't think about the consequences at all. I had a much worse problem with cocaine which went from the early 1980s to 1999.

In a lot of places they just don't care when someone gets busted for drugs. Just wanted to let you know.

Trucker Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (05/31/08 12:50 PM)

#228118 - 05/31/08 01:16 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: Trucker51]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I used to be a daily smoker of the herb, but as I got older it started making me paranoid when I got high. So I stopped in my late 20s. The working Society today is at zero tolerance for substance use. The last place I worked they could do random drug tests and if you failed you might as well look for a new job. No wonder I got paranoid @_@

Trucker hit on it for me the part about control. After years of alcohol/drug abuse I have learned that I have little control once I get started using again. I also agree with Hauser on changing what you can to reduce the cause of the issue. I gave up on a relationship that was needy and hurting me. I have also passed up promotions to supervisor because I don't handle that kind of stress well. Yeah it would be higher paying but is my peace of mind worth giving up for
an extra $100.00 in the paycheck? I didn't think it was.

Anyway its your choice, and I wish you well on your journey of recovery.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#228119 - 05/31/08 01:20 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: Trucker51]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Well that's Wyoming. They aren't exactly laid back there. lol

2-4 years in prison for a joint? What a waste of tax payer money. That's over $100,000 (for 4 years) down the drain.

#228148 - 05/31/08 03:00 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: AndyJB2005]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

#228155 - 05/31/08 04:37 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: Nyjah]
dancr6 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: georgia
We all have differing ideas of what works for us.

I was raised around drunks but I relax with one beer or scotch most evenings. A binge for me would be three drinks at an all day event and that rarely happens. when I smoked pot I was satisfied with a "hit" two or three times a week. I don't think the government is doing a wise thing by keeping it illegal.

When I first realized that what happened to me as a six year old was not my fault I had a bout of depression and found that smoking one evening would keep me somewhat relaxed for several days. Maybe the placebo effect but It helped me through a pretty tough time.

I don't advocate any "crutch" but I believe we all have the right to experiment, hopefully with some sensibility and research about the product we plan on trying and it's possible consequences.

#229630 - 06/08/08 01:01 AM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: AndyJB2005]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
I was a real stoner back in the 60s, but when I tried to break free from drugs in the 70s it turned out that weed was no problem for me to walk away from.

The problem isn't marijuana as such, I think, but rather that using it can get you into a crowd that's into a lot of other very rough drugs. And if you "need' the weed, I suppose that can translate into big trouble with other more dangerous drugs being used in your circle.

That's what did me in back when I was 20. I had already been using a lot of weed and dropping acid too, but in San Francisco I ran into a crowd that was doing heroin as well. That connection almost cost me my life.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#230136 - 06/10/08 03:28 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry:

Were you still doing junk when you gave up the evil weed? I gave up pot after 21 years of everyday use when I was smoking a lot of crack. There wasn't any to buy for a while and a few weeks later when there was I didn't need it anymore. I had another drug that rendered it a moot point. And you are right about the crowd and needing it too.

I've got older relatives in Palo Alto that were hanging around the Haight back in the late 1960s. My cousin Martha and Spencer got married back in the late 1970s. They were big into the weed scene there at one time.

Trucker Mark

#230362 - 06/11/08 03:57 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: Trucker51]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Mark,

No I wasn't. I got my wake up-call when my pregnant girlfriend ODed and died on a river trip that was supposed to be "cleansing". Instead they all got drunk and then, of course, someone gets out their works .... I wasn't there, but I blamed myself.

I never saw weed as the problem, or at least I never got to the point that I would do anything for it. It never owned me. I've been clean off the heavy crap I was doing (junk, meth, acid) since the Fourth of July '75, and to do that it was mainly a matter of rehab and then keeping away from certain people.

I'm still very careful. I can walk down a street and tell you who's holding what, who's the lookout, who's the hook, etc. Even if I've never been in that city before. Weird. But I just use that info to keep away. If I'm at a party and I find out there's crap like smack or crack on offer somewhere in the house, I'm out the door.

And I still hear "the voice" when I'm stressed or pressured about something: "one more time", "it's okay", "I'm here for you", etc. I laugh it off and ignore it, but it's still there.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#230388 - 06/11/08 06:04 PM Re: I hope no one takes offense... [Re: roadrunner]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry:

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, my man. I've known a few people who have died or had worse things happen from using hard drugs. A close friend that I was living with in 1991 slipped and hit his head getting out of the shower while drunk as a skunk, trying to detox off of junk and methadone. He had to have brain surgery and has been institutionalized ever since. Or there is my old roommate in Minnesota. Five years after I moved out on him his girlfriend OD'd in bed with him. I guess that it could be said that he permanently ruined her recovery, just as he had helped to ruin mine, since she was clean out of Hazelden when they met. I also knew a known blues guitarist who Od'd in Cleveland back in the 1980s, and a kid I grew up with Od'd in 9th grade too.

You are so right about being able to see it going on. While waiting at a stoplight I watched a car park and a woman run in the back door of a liqour store. 30 seconds later four people including the woman came out and ran for their cars. I told my partner my suspicions even before one of them lit-up his glass pipe in his car. Or I was in a crowded bar a few years ago when a couple guys came in and headed straight to the john, as 2 dozen guys guys in the bar followed them. Gee, I wonder what they are selling, I asked my friend. And sure enough, 90 seconds later, they all left. These days I can even smell it if someone is smoking pot from outside of their front door, often from 15 feet away from their door. I'll bet that I'm not the only one with that ability.

Once in Cleveland I was renting an apartment right above the landlord's daughter. I noticed that there was beginning to be a problem with late night traffic, when people started banging on the front door at all hours of the night. I finally had an angry discussion with the landlord, who was angry at me at first. A few weeks later he came back to apologize and asked me how did I know? I said, come-on Joe, there is only one drug that people come back over and over all night long for. I knew that she was selling coke. He then thanked me for letting him know, and she moved out the very next weekend.

Glad to find out that you have had so much success staying away from it. I am at 8 & 1/2 years myself.

Trucker Mark

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.