Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443343 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#221224 - 04/28/08 08:48 PM Socially Awkward
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was at my demotologist today, getting my light treament for my psoriasis, I do this 2-3 times a week, and there are only 2 nurses that do this so I know them fairly well. Anyway, as I'm getting undressed from behind my curtain, I hear one of the nurses, Crystal say that they will be closed on Monday next week because she is moving. She lives in the town, I just moved to. So I deciede that I will joke with her and say something like "What I move to (city name) and you suddenly need to move out. I'm offended". What came out is "I move to (city name) and now the towns not big enough for the two of us or something". She of course didn't laugh, why because I was acting stupid. Had I not been nervous and delivered the line correctly, I think I would have atleast gotten a smile, a slight laugh or something.

Anyway, maybe this is why I don't usually do stuff like that, because this usually happens

Jason

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#221231 - 04/28/08 09:19 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: onlyakid]
JustJeff Offline

Whats ps......? i can't even spell that. lol. Mind me asking how old you are?

#221238 - 04/28/08 09:27 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: JustJeff]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

Jason,

I do that all the time. In my head I got something to say and then it comes out all wrong and makes me look like an idiot. Sometimes you got to let it go, sometimes you can kind of explain. If you see her again, maybe ask how the move went and try to say something that explains what you meant without actually saying it if that makes any sense? Because sometimes explaining it makes it worse because one ends up getting nervous again and it comes out even more wrong!! I guess I just wanted to let you know that I completely understand the feeling, as I have done it many times.

Eric

#221310 - 04/29/08 03:48 AM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: ericc]
Magoo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: far, far away

I think anyone can tell it was innocent and you were just joking, however it came out.
She should have given you the laugh.
Some people are just too uptight.

M

#221448 - 04/29/08 02:30 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: JustJeff]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Psoriasis is a long-term skin problem that causes skin cells to grow too quickly, resulting in thick, white, silvery, or red
patches of skin

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/psoriasis-topic-overview

I'm 29. Will be 30 in June (not looking forward to that one)

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#221451 - 04/29/08 02:33 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: onlyakid]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
I have been guilty in the past of that and probably will be in the future. I got very poor education in social skills. Trying to be funny to hard at times. AWKWARD! Now I just chuckle and say sorry, my wittiness is only half there.

#221482 - 04/29/08 03:49 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: Freedom49]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Jason,

I wonder if you really make a lot of such comments, or whether, when you make them, you take them to heart and dwell on them. I think this kind of self-judgmental behavior and thinking is a big problem among survivors. I know I had a big problem with that for a long time.

I mention this because I have read so many of your posts, talked to you, and never came away feeling that you are socially awkward or inept or whatever. Really! \:\) So maybe you are just too hard on yourself.

Sound like something to think about?

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#221487 - 04/29/08 03:56 PM Re: Socially Awkward [Re: roadrunner]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Jason,

For years i used to get in trouble for making comments to conversations that had only happened in my imagination. I would think of saying something "clever" - but then decide the other person would think such-and-such and then i would react - then they would say something else.... By the time the conversation actually DID happen - i would say something so lame and out of place.

i've always declared myself "socially inept". i'm beginning to see that there is a learned skill involved. Unfortunately, the only way to learn is to "be involved socially"...

M

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.