Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
7 registered (Bluedogone, ACRoberts, healingsoul, 4 invisible), 55 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12251 Members
73 Forums
63104 Topics
441299 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#220414 - 04/25/08 01:13 PM How do I start?
USFbull Offline

Loc: Florida
Ok so I've was up late last night kicking around some ideas in my head and I just thought I'd share them and seek out some advice seeing as I really don't know how to start. So recently I've started coming out slowly but surely to more and more people about my CSA, primarily because it helps me cope with it, it allows for my friends and family to better understand who I am, and lastly and most importantly it raises awareness. Everyone person who I tell, I pass along this site, and everytime from them I hear "You are the first survivor I've ever met" and I reply, "well if you meet another here is an amazing website". However I've been wanting to do something for a very long time, and that is do a presentation/set up a table at the local community college back home. The material presented would be based on the the mission statement of MaleSurvivor and would basically inform the students of who we are, what we want to do, and outreach to any survivors out in the student body. I would basically like to get approval from the Board of Directors to do this, I would front the cost of a board, flyers, etc. In order to assure adherence to the Boards standards I would submit all presentation and written material to the Board prior to the actual event. Once approval is obtained I would contact appropriate subject professors/the dean of the local community college...etc...etc. Just ideas rambling around in my head...so what do I do to get this rolling?

Also there may be concerns about me not being due-paying member, that will change the moment I get my tax return. woot woot! I'm stoked!

Edited by USFbull (04/25/08 01:32 PM)
These tears are shaken from
the wrath-bearing tree.
~T.S. Eliot~

#220438 - 04/25/08 02:28 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: USFbull]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Hey USFbull, you are starting to sound like a thriver! I am very happy for you. You can contact Curti St John or Taz or some of the other moderators on the front page and talk to them. I am glad you are taking active role in raising awarness out there and helping hurting guys find help. That is wonderful and you should be proud. After we get over coming to this site in a sad panic and we start to deal with our recovery it is a natural thing to want to turn and help others we know are out there hurting like us. That is progress.

#220457 - 04/25/08 03:42 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: Freedom49]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
USFbull,

I have put your post up in the ModForum so we can discuss it and get back to you, okay? I'm not sure your proposal requires any approval from us, since you are not an official representative of the organization, but I'll check.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#220479 - 04/25/08 04:37 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: roadrunner]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
that's absolutely fantastic, and I totally agree with Roger here, it sounds as if your really sorting yourself out and will be helping others to do the same, which is great!

I certainly wish someone had done that sort of presentation here in Durham, I don't know if I would've been able to come forward, but it would've been great to know I wasn't the only person.

all I ever got were incredibly angry feminists from the "Kill all the men" faction giving lectures where they talked about how women were always the victims of Sa. Very very rarely, a man could be so evil as to abuse another man, ---- but this didn't happen much, and as for the idea that women could also be abusers? unthinkable!

that one really made me angry! which is why I'm doubly in favor of all possible publicity, not just to reach out to other survivers (though that's certainly important enough), but to educate the general public as well.

#220488 - 04/25/08 05:22 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: dark empathy]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
UFS,
I noticed that you want to get the word out and I love this. Actually it brings a smile to my face. I am part of an organization that already does that. Breaking the Silence. bts.dragonpack.com we goes to college classes and are seeking to this the same in High school about getting the word out with regards to abuse. We already have materials and presentation slides and so fourth. if you need any advice or help please let me know or check out the sight. Good Luck. I wish you the best.

Simon

#220489 - 04/25/08 05:25 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: simonsurvives]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
ps. I noticed that you mentioned something about your friends saying that they are the first person that they have met who has been abused. I can see that they are amazed and you coming out to them and I applaud you for that. However I do not think that they see that they meet ppl all the time that have been abused and don't know it. I do not think that that was there intention though. \:\)

#220528 - 04/25/08 07:01 PM Re: How do I start? [Re: simonsurvives]
USFbull Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I want approval from Malesurvivor just to make sure I don't break any rules or misrepresent the organization. Simon I checked out the site, thats awesome that you are involved in it. I was the same Dark Empathy, I got angry women. Simon I get your second mention, you really never know who is a survivor as not too many are open or what not. My first post on this site was the first time I realized I wasn't alone! THAT NEEDS TO CHANGE. Assuming MS approval I will definetly be contacting you Simon, and be posting for suggestions in general. The good news is I'm an AMAZING public speaker, so hopefully I'll represent us well. (Assuming approval of course \:\) )

These tears are shaken from
the wrath-bearing tree.
~T.S. Eliot~

#220637 - 04/26/08 11:27 AM Re: How do I start? [Re: USFbull]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
USFbull,

We have asked Curtis to get in touch with you. I don't think there should be any problem so long as you aren't presenting yourself as an official rep of MaleSurvivor.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.