Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 66 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438140 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#219807 - 04/22/08 08:55 PM Credit for the acknowledgement now the work starts
kiwi64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia, USA
I was surprised as a lot of other people were with the Pope's acknowledgement of sexual abuse in the church. While this was encouraging as a start I am not sure where the healing actually begin's. I am from the Anglican church and was abused by a Vicar over a three year period. When this predator was exposed, the church did nothing to acknowledge the role it played in fostering a culture of blind followership while protecting thier own interest's in terms of any sort of reporting or exposure that they would have. They tried to distance themselves from this person by moving him out. All to often this happens as we saw in the Catholic church. The Anglican church will still not acknowledge what happened.

It is sad that organized religion seems to be set up in such a way that it is easy to pass the problem from one parish to another as the perpators move from one location to another. Without any sort of conviction it is easy to deny the existence of the abuse or shroud it in secrecy based on the person's right to privacy.

The predator's in these situations are very cleaver, they focus a lot of energy on developing the basis for abuse and fostering the trust, if that is what you call it, of the victim.

It seems that if organized religion or following of any sort was really serious about protecting themselves, they would start by providing the protection to the followers that if abuse happens or is about to happen, it is not betraying the church or god to report it, it is okay to protect yourself and expect that the church will protect you.

This is why I say that the work really has to start now, not just in the catholic church, but in all other religions. The work is to expose criminal acts or acts of manipulation openly so that there is no hiding behind a vale of secrecy. The whole process needs to be transparent, not just have lip service done to it when someone gets caught.

We are taught that God is love, his house of worship, in whatever form should be a safe place. We need to be vigilant and keep the momentum going, making all organizations accountable for the abusers in thier midst.

As I started off, I am encouraged by the Pope's address, but disappointed that the Anglican church can not do the same.

#219881 - 04/23/08 08:28 AM Re: Credit for the acknowledgement now the work starts [Re: kiwi64]
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The basis is wrong.

Religion is not real, god does not exist.

These men who get their power 'from god', use this basic fault in believers:

you believe the lie about god existing,
then you believe the lie that this is a man of god,
and then you believe the lie that he gets his authority from god.

What this man of god says, goes, he is a man of god after all.

So if he tells you lies you believe him without questioning, without using your reason or your own moral sense of right and wrong.

Religious believers have already agreed to believe in things for which there is no evidence whatsoever.
Some more unlikely things to believe in, is not a big step.
So the priest goes from god loves you, to god wants you to take your clothes off now.

If priests believed god was real the priests would NOT be acting that way!

Use your reason!

Join them in their disbelief!

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.