Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447958 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#219840 - 04/22/08 11:52 PM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: Jeff Amsel]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Jeff Amsel
I thought I was willing to forgive. Not any longer. I cant do it. I am not ready to do it. I want revenge. I will never get it, and that upsets me more. Abe(my father) is nothing but a leech and scumbag. I have supported him more years that he deserved. I tried making amends, and was shunned by him. It is disgraceful how he acted. My anger is not at rage level any longer, just good ole' angry. Cant get rid of it. Learning to live with it instead.

Any way - thanks for allowing me to share my feelings here.

Edited by dking777 (10/25/09 01:04 AM)

Bittersweet Symphony

#219905 - 04/23/08 11:24 AM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: ericc]
Magoo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: far, far away
An old chinese proverb says, 'when seeking revenge, dig two graves, one for yourself'
This is because you will always be tied to and buried with your anger. To forgive and let go is helpful in order to move on. For others, it can't be done. To forgive is not to forget, just to be able to enjoy the rest of your life without carrying that bag of garbage around with you.
My case, I hope the bastard's dead already and died a horrible death!

#219911 - 04/23/08 11:50 AM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: Magoo]
Denniss Offline
New Here

Loc: California
WOW, topic of what I've been wrestling with as of late.... thank you for teeing it up!

I hate, resent, and pray for eternal damnation for those who hurt children.... my personal feelings. That said, I also have come to learn that "Hurt People, Hurt People" and it's important to remain mindful that breaking that cycle is something I choose to do.

My abusers hurt me and I wasn't even old enough to understand that I was being hurt. If I mentally swim in that for more than a minute or two then I become overwhelmed with so much negativity that I cannot even function. I consciously have to work at looking forward rather than in the rear-view mirror. The ghosts and monsters are just too evil behind me.... therefore I keep them behind me. Everyday they become further and further behind me.... not sure if I'm making sense but it helps me to share.

Right or wrong, I can't keep going back to those who caused me so much hurt and try to somehow even the score.... it's a death-spiral. As much as I'd like to see them burn, it won't remove the thumb-print that they've left on my life. I'm not even going to attempt forgiveness 'cause it's just too big and I'd rather invest in building a safe future for myself and family.

It feels like the abuse cycle has been broken and that's sweet revenge for me....

#219960 - 04/23/08 05:00 PM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: Denniss]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Denniss
My abusers hurt me and I wasn't even old enough to understand that I was being hurt. If I mentally swim in that for more than a minute or two then I become overwhelmed with so much negativity that I cannot even function. I consciously have to work at looking forward rather than in the rear-view mirror. The ghosts and monsters are just too evil behind me.... therefore I keep them behind me. Everyday they become further and further behind me.... not sure if I'm making sense but it helps me to share.

A couple of days ago - I was updating my web site - and stopped to look at one of the video's I have emmbedded in one of my pages.

Edited by dking777 (10/25/09 01:03 AM)

Bittersweet Symphony

#219964 - 04/23/08 05:13 PM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: dking777]
delta.tetra Offline

Loc: Netherlands
DKing

"We have to be better than the evil that was done to us."

I agree.

Will it do us good to see our perps dead?

For a long time I thought I'd not start getting better until my father (perp) was dead. I'd decided years ago not to murder him, though I had had means, motive, and opportunity. So I waited and waited as he got older and older.

But then I got in therapy, and this attitude was directly tackled and dealt with. Towards the end of 2006 I enacted a ritual, with the intention to say farewell to the past and the perps.

My ritual speech began, "We are gathered here today to celebrate the death of my father!" And celebrate we did with a detailed and meaningful ritual, exactly to my specifications. (Made up by the inner child!) Champagne was popped and poured away in the river, representing tears that would never again to be shed for the crimes of the past; there were coffin nails and fireworks, a message in a bottle, red sealing wax and an enormous heave and it was gone!

It felt great to throw away all that anger and hate. After all I had no use for anger and hate. I wasn't going use my anger to help me actually kill the perp, and to keep carrying around the tools of murder in my heart, only hurt me.

Since then I have continued to develop the feeling that I can live my own life, as if he were dead, regardless of whether or not he still lives.

Later I might forget about living my life 'regardless of whatever' and just get on with living my own life.

I believe we can recover from CSA without taking revenge on our perps.

all the best to you

#219967 - 04/23/08 05:24 PM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: dking777]
Denniss Offline
New Here

Loc: California
Dking,

Thank you for the note and for striking a chord (no pun) with Kurt's song. I'm a HUGE fan, have the sheet music, the CD, played it many times, and have NOW found new/compassionate meaning within the lyrics.

Like Kurt, it is clear that you care about making a difference as well.

If you get a chance, check out Everlast's song titled "Put Your Lights On". It's loaded with more simplistic yet applicable symbols of overcoming evil with love.

Thank you DKing!

#220074 - 04/23/08 11:36 PM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: Denniss]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Denniss
I hate, resent, and pray for eternal damnation for those who hurt children.... my personal feelings. That said, I also have come to learn that "Hurt People, Hurt People" and it's important to remain mindful that breaking that cycle is something I choose to do.

Very powerful statement, Denniss. Thanks for stating it in the way you did.

Lots of love,

John

#221024 - 04/28/08 07:36 AM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: delta.tetra]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Originally Posted By: delta.tetra
It felt great to throw away all that anger and hate. After all I had no use for anger and hate. I wasn't going use my anger to help me actually kill the perp, and to keep carrying around the tools of murder in my heart, only hurt me.

Since then I have continued to develop the feeling that I can live my own life, as if he were dead, regardless of whether or not he still lives.

Later I might forget about living my life 'regardless of whatever' and just get on with living my own life.

I believe we can recover from CSA without taking revenge on our perps.

I can so relate to this. I was stuck in the situation of fearing and fuming over a perp I knew had been dead more than a decade. Learning to let go of that was a process crucial to my recovery.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#221038 - 04/28/08 09:20 AM Re: Haboring Hate and bitterness [Re: roadrunner]
hogan_dawg Offline

Hey DKing you asked:

- Will it do us good to see our perps dead?
- Will it make us feel good about who and what we are?
- Will it make us feel good to see someone else tormented?

My anger is justified, I don't accept what happened to me, I'm pissed off and I like it.

Revenge is uncool. Justice is cool. Irony is way cool.

My perpetrator drunkenly falling into a vat of other men's discharge without me lifting a hand would be amusing, but wouldn't solve my problems. Is it too dark? Maybe. But life imitating art is sometimes dark.

I say, 'fume away'. To hell with relinquishing your anger. And if staying angry means your recovery takes a little longer, I say So be it. You've got time to move through it at your own pace.

Your anger is valid my friend!

Nature or God gave you that emotion 'anger' for a reason - to inform you that you were unjustly abused at the hands of another. He/Nature gave you that emotion because it works and is adaptive to FEEL what is inside you.

And to hell with numbness.

That all said, if you do get to the point where you are nearly Messiah-like and can 'let go' of your anger and forgive your perpetrator, then you're doing just great.

I personally am not 'letting go' right now. But I admire those who do so.

Edited by hogan_dawg (04/28/08 09:29 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.