Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jwmcd2, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63236 Topics
442202 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#219335 - 04/20/08 05:32 PM Coming out of my shell
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I'm alone this weekend, mom went to Raleigh. I was wondering what I was going to do Saturday, was thinking of doing some fishing when a friend called and invited me to a BBQ. I decided to go and had a great time. There were six of us all were from AA and I was happy that nobody tried to get me to back. They supported my decision to leave and said I looked happier than I did in the rooms. It was a fun filled night with lots of laughs, and good food. I didn't get home until 10:30pm it was just so much fun so be with people again and laugh with no pressure. We plan to do it again sometime and my friend wants to spend more time with me now he is single and has a lot of time to himself. I think this is a good opportunity to have a friendship as those I once had in my younger years. Someone to hang out with maybe catch a movie or go bowling or just sit and talk.

This is something I didn't think I would ever have since I have a hard time being a good friend in the past. Of course I always picked messed up people for friends and the only thing we had in common was drugs/booze. So things are looking up for now. I may even have a BBQ here at my house and invite some people I was close to in AA. There were some I really enjoyed their company and we still keep in touch. I don't know why I'm telling you this except for that its a milestone for me trying to make friends in a healthy environment.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#219337 - 04/20/08 05:36 PM Re: Coming out of my shell [Re: GateKPR4]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Ricky,
I am so happy for you. That is exactly I think what you need. You needed some good friend to hang out wtih that will encourage and help cheer you up and that maybe you can do the same for. This is progress for you I think and I am rellly happy for you.

And jealous of those friends who get to hang out with you in person. hahaha.

#219361 - 04/20/08 06:44 PM Re: Coming out of my shell [Re: Freedom49]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
VERY good to hear something like this. Why? It signifies growth, a shedding of the old self-defeating and meaningless habits that we carried over from childhood and into our adult lives.

It looks like you're finding yourself Rick, very good news.

#219422 - 04/21/08 01:03 AM Re: Coming out of my shell [Re: Hauser]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Ricky,

What a GREAT thing to have happen. I'm really glad for you, man. Creating good, lasting friendships like this is hard, even more so for men who have been through abuse and have a hard time trusting again. I hope this is the start of some really good friendships for you.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.