Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
7 registered (randombreeze, VASurvivor, CafeMan, Obi, dan_in_newengland, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443276 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#218746 - 04/17/08 01:07 PM Overwhelmed w/Bad News
jacob77 Offline

Loc: Northern CA
Just called my Mom this morning to discover that my step-sister's friend committed suicide and my brother's daughter was admitted to the hospital for anorexia. My family is going thru so much and I feel so powerless to help them.

Jacob

#218761 - 04/17/08 01:50 PM Re: Overwhelmed w/Bad News [Re: jacob77]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Hi, Jacob,

It's always rough when people we care about are having trouble. I know that I immediately feel that it's my job to make everything OK, that I'm somehow responsible for other people's feelings. It's frustrating, though, when I realize that often there's nothing I can do but simply be there to listen and let them know that I care.

I don't know how close you are to your step-sister and your brother, but they're both in a lot of pain right now. There really isn't anything that you can do to help them except let them know that you are there for them. Don't beat yourself up for not being able to work miracles and make everything OK. No one can do that and this will only add to the stress your family is going through. Just let both of them know how you feel and that you'd like to help if there's any way you can and leave it up to them if they need anything.

This is advice that has helped me, so I hope it helps you.

Hang in there,

Dan

#218904 - 04/18/08 01:42 PM Re: Overwhelmed w/Bad News [Re: VLinvictus]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
Overwhelming situations can cause a lot of unneeded stress. Help your self and do not forget. In taking care of yourself you can help your family more then when you are not grounded. Good luck. Safe hugs.

Simon

#218910 - 04/18/08 02:15 PM Re: Overwhelmed w/Bad News [Re: simonsurvives]
NWcats Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Jacob,
I've been going thru a lot of the same thing as my partner struggles with illness. Be sure to take care of yourself. Remember to breathe.
Peace.
Jackson

#218918 - 04/18/08 03:02 PM Re: Overwhelmed w/Bad News [Re: jacob77]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Jacob,

I can only reiterate what the others here have said.

You cannot control what others do, as much as you'd like to have that magical power. You can take care of yourself and tell them that you are there for them and that you care for them. You can reassure them that you love them.

Take good care of yourself,

Steve

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.