Newest Members
gdj, Db, dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty
12386 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, 3 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12386 Members
74 Forums
63655 Topics
444547 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#218578 - 04/16/08 03:57 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: king tut]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
1. I am morbidly afraid of deep water and so have never learned to swim.

2. I lived in a haunted house until I was 6 years old.

3. I like to talk to myself in foreign languages.

4. I wrote two very bad overly melodramatic novellas between 8th and 11th grades, one about vampires and one about Nazis and an ancient Egyptian curse. I burned all extant copies.

5. My college career was entirely determined by obsessive crushes on two older male teachers to whom I was sexually attracted.

6. I am a severe hypochondriac.

7. No one I have ever met has ever been able to pronounce my surname correctly unassisted.

8. My Halloween costumes in elementary school included Napoleon, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Phantom of the Opera.

9. I have never been able to pick a single favorite color, song, movie, or book. My favorite ice cream flavor, though, is black raspberry twisted (if possible) with orange sherbet.

10. I loathe mushrooms. As a child, whenever I would see them growing wild, I felt compelled to sout "Flower of the devil!" and kick them down.

#218582 - 04/16/08 04:13 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: king tut]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

1. I have all but the 4x4 Rubik's Cube and can solve them all.

2. I'm a diehard Dr. Who fan. I can name all the actors that have played the Doctor and even have Dr. Who toys on my desk, including a nice blue Tardis Bank, and soon (once my sister finishes it) I will have an awesome 15' remake of Tom Baker's scarf!!!!

3. I love Lego! I have a nice Lego Mellenium Falcon sitting next too my cubes and Dr. Who Toys on my desk.

4. I haven't bought a computer that had to be taken "out of the box" since I was 14 or so. (I buy the parts and build it myself).

5. If it wasn't for my wife, I'd seriously sell both the "boys" off and be done with all that physical crap if I could. Hell at 50k to 80k a piece who wouldn't????

6. I sing. I love to sing. I sing all the time. Most of the time people make fun of me because I sing all the time. Then the few times they heard me sing in front of a group all they could do was say "wow". Then after awhile they go back to making fun of me because I sing all the time. I say, "Screw Em!" I love to sing, and it ain't for you, it's for me!!!

7. I love Astronomy, and would like to one day, with the help of my son, build a 14" or 15" diameter Dobsonian telescope. Would be fantastic, and in podunk PA the sky's are clear and the nights are dark!!!

8. I read non-stop. Mostly fantasy novels, but occasionally some other type of novel or a book for learn something new. My wife gets tired of all the books I buy and leave sitting next to the can in the bathroom!

9. My first major in College was aviation, followed by pastoral studies. Got 3 years under my belt and would need at least 2 more to graduate :-(

10. I never dated. Never. Yet I've been married for going on 9 years!

Edited by JustScott (04/16/08 04:14 PM)

#218585 - 04/16/08 04:25 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: JustScott]
MemoryVault Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ

Quote:
2. I'm a diehard Dr. Who fan. I can name all the actors that have played the Doctor and even have Dr. Who toys on my desk, including a nice blue Tardis Bank, and soon (once my sister finishes it) I will have an awesome 15' remake of Tom Baker's scarf!!!!

Don't forget Peter Cushing, and William Hurndall, the Hartnell-lookalike who played the first Doctor in The Five Doctors. (He wasn't bad.)...And all the "doctors" in Curse of the Fatal Death... (I'm loving the new series, btw.)

These are mine from a year ago--updates in red.

1.I was the secret identity of the great Pencil Thief in 5th grade.

2.The poet Allen Ginsberg tried to pick me up at a party when I was 20 and he was 70. He thought I was a little old for him. I was vaguely proud of this when I first posted. Now I'm much more skeeved.

3.I bite my nails.

4.My first summer job was as a bank teller at a Savings and Loan that hardly ever had a customer.

5.Im paranoid about getting lost and bring maps, even if I should know where Im going. The GPS has literally expanded my world. I can go places!

6.My first post-college job was for the government. I helped give $2 refunds to people whod requested them five years before. I had to call to find out whether they were still alive. I learned a lot about the government that way.

7.I dropped out of grad school after a faculty party where a professor staggered in, shouted, This school has destroyed me, passed out, and nobody even looked at him. Same closeted professor who evaluated me in writing this way: "He has a combination of receptivity and resistance that I find very attractive."

8.I appeared once in the New Yorker its a little bronze statue of me, commissioned by my parents, and its in an ad for the sculptor. (August 1976). I always thought that little heavy statue would make a great murder weapon.

9.I cant stand coconut, tomatoes, or raw onions. Mellowing on the coconut after a really good Thai meal.

10.I get along with my parents on visits by pretending I met them around 1986. Wow, I wish this still worked! \:\(

Edited by MemoryVault (04/16/08 04:29 PM)

#218592 - 04/16/08 05:34 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: king tut]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right Behind You!
Originally Posted By: king tut

10. I would like my own castle, and my own army, and i would like to rule the world (lol?)

May I be a General in your army? Come with my own division of little green soldiers and artilery pieces.

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#218595 - 04/16/08 05:49 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: Still]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
Originally Posted By: king tut

10. I would like my own castle, and my own army, and i would like to rule the world (lol?)

May I be a General in your army? Come with my own division of little green soldiers and artilery pieces.

Can I join, too? I still have four regiments of the Napoleonic Grande Armee and the Imperial Guard in 15mm scale that I meticulously painted in college out when my friends out doing things like having a social life...

#218601 - 04/16/08 06:19 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: VN]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
1) I have attempted suicide 5 times
2) I have been in the mental hospital twice for extended stays
3) I have a son 23, a daughter inlaw and 3 wonderful grandchildren
4) I spent a total of 1 year of my life in rehabs.
5) I am a recovered alcoholic/drug addict
6) I am 44 years old and own a house with my mother
8) I like myself most of the time, and learning to love who I am.
9) I play guitar and harmonica
10) My younger brother is my best friend

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#218614 - 04/16/08 07:17 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: king tut]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
1. My first memory is of receiving a hobby horse in a big box as a Christmas present. I was 19 months old. I was desperate for the horse to come out of the box, but when my Dad and grandfather got it out I climbed into the cool box to play with it.

2. I was a prolific reader in elementary school and in 4th grade I read the whole year's reading assignments in 2 weeks. The director of the Harrisburg Children's Library got me a reader's card for the PA State Library when I was 12; my state congressman asked me why I wanted to read books there and I said the Children's Library doesn't have Plato.

3. The State Library was my refuge from abuse for a time. I would go read poetry there, and one reason I decided against suicide was that there was so much still to read.

4. I was first seriously drunk at age 13, was having episodes of alcohol poisoning by the age of 16, and by 18 I didn't consider that I was having fun until I had been sick at least once. But somehow I did not become an alcoholic.

5. I was hopelessly naive about girls as a teenager. A girl I liked once came with her mother through my check-out line at the supermarket where I worked. I told her Mom my parents were away for two weeks and I was alone in the house, then right there in front of her I turned to the girl and asked her if she wanted to come over; I would make burgers and I had the new Jefferson Airplane album, which I knew she was anxious to hear. She came over expecting we would have sex, but I was too nervous and freaked out to do it. All I had been expecting was burgers and music! Really! \:D

6. I worked in a student bar at Penn State, the Futura, as the guy carding people at the door, beginning when I was 19. The drinking age in PA is 21.

7. I have written books in English, French and German and I don't really know (without checking) how many languages I know or how many books and articles I have written. But I am hopeless at simple math and have no idea how to fix a leaky faucet. In college I couldn't figure out how to use the washing machines properly, so I washed my clothes by jamming the lid of the machine open. On the spin cycle all the water and clothes would fly out in a huge gusher, and I would just walk around the room, pick my things up and be on my way. No problem. \:D But my first major in college was aerospace engineering.

8. My great artistic love is the blues, which I have been playing for 43 years. I have 5 guitars, including two dobros made in the 1930s. My Dad was in a local roots music band, the Royal Hawaiians, at the age of 11 in the 1930s.

9. When I first came to MaleSurvivor I was shy and didn't post much. The site supervisor (Thad) talked to me a lot on the phone to get me to come out of my shell, with the results you now see.

10. My hopelessness with anything to do with computers or technology is a running joke in the ModForum, where Dewey2k gave me the nickname "Program". John (walkingsouth) once talked about his MAC address, and since I have an Apple/Mac I thought my MAC address would be my street address in the UK, because that's where my Mac is plugged into the wall. I was genuinely impressed when I got my first digital camera and discovered it doesn't take film. Just last year I came to the earth-shattering conclusion that speed cameras don't take film either. My cell phone is almost 10 years old and its sophistication endlessly amazes me.

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#218654 - 04/16/08 11:28 PM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: roadrunner]
tallsteve Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Boston, MA
1. I am not very coordinated physically. I have never been on a sports team. I feel I missed out on something important. My nieces and nephews are great athletes. I am happy for and proud of them and at the same time feel pain over the gap in my life.

2. I studied accordion for 2 years. I did not like it all that much. Mom and dad had great dreams that I would be on the Laurence Welk show. No such luck.

3. I graduated high school with the highest average in Latin (four years). I loved studying it and would love to study it more. I did four years of Spanish too.

4. I studied ballet in my mid-twenties and liked it alot. I was the Financial Manager for a ballet company at the time. My teacher told me that I had a great sense of rhythm and musicality, however I did not know what to do them.

5. I grew up in the Brass Capital of the World, named for producing the most brass products in the world.

6. As brainiack in the fourth grade, I was chosen to play Baron von Trapp in our little production of the Sound of Music. One chorus of Edelweiss, compelled the teacher/director to replace me. I was relegated to the chorus and as the only one who memorized the words, I was heard the most. The teacher told me to only move my mouth and not sing. At the last minute on opening night, the teacher gave me the task to move scenery. I was devastated.

7. It took me four months to decide to become a mod. I was afraid and feared I would not be good enough.

8. I have knitted five sweaters for myself.

9. I worked three jobs after graduating college to afford a trip to Europe. I took 45 days to jaunt through the big cities of Europe. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I too visited Dachau and found it so cold and silent, except for the noise of stone grinding on stone as people walked on them. I got to see all the places in Spain that I had to research and report on. Being able to speak Spanish helped me enjoy the country alot. Interesting enough, Paris and Florence were my favorite cities visited.

10. I do not go to movies as I think the are a waste of money and time. Moreover, I will not see a movie with any violence. I have seen about 4 movies in a movie theatre in 10 years.

This is a great thread. THANKS

#218682 - 04/17/08 02:15 AM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: tallsteve]
rehpotsirhcs Offline
MaleSurvivor

1. I hate the American School System (ASS). I demonstrate this by skipping class often.

2. I like to draw and I wish I could show/express them here.

3. I'm an insomniac. I think my record is going 4 days without sleep. It's hard to sleep with the lights on or off and I'm afraid of my bed most of the time.

4. I used to write short stories. They varied on a wide range of topics! Most of my ideas stemmed from books I've read. I've read a lot! ... I learned to read at age 2.

5. I have a girlfriend. Her name is Emily. She's the coolest person in the world. Well, she ranks right above Larry. \:\)

6. I like to drink when I can. I would give anything to try a long island iced tea.

7. I'm a bit of a daredevil. The bigger the risk, the bigger the rush.

8. I love ice cream.

9. I love italian foods.

10. I'm secretly planning to take over the world.

Holy shit, that was fucking hard.

#218684 - 04/17/08 05:09 AM Re: 10 things you do not know about me [Re: rehpotsirhcs]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
1. I was in passion with making traps for mice and birds when I was 8 years old and living at my grandfather's house.

2. I never caught any of these creatures. )

3. I was following my older cousin's interest in ninja practice and we created nunchaku and throwing stars.

4. When I was in elementary school, I began to love reading. I read J. R. R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" when I was 9. I read lots of sci-fi fiction too.

5. My another reading passion was the Soviet Encyclodepia in 10 volumes, which I read starting from about 7 to 17 years old,

6. I was in regular pot smoking in hgh school and University. I planned on creating a home-based greenhouse for cultivating marijuana, while studying the properties of alcalines and hoping to make a good fertilizer to ensure a robust growth of the plant in the conditions of Russian winter. ) Well, I watched lots of movies about drug cultvation.

7. I always wanted my own PC, and I even developed a plan to steal several PCs from school's informatics class with my best friend. Happily, we did not go further than making a plasticine copies of school entrance keys.

8. I participated in street wars, but never engaged in actual fights, but I was always carrying with me either a steel stick or a chain. One time a crowd of bad asses came to my door and they wanted to beat me. Since that time I was holding a big construction steel armature part near the door.

9. I was invoved in Basic coding while in High School open classes, and my friend and I created a Biology testing program for 8 graders which we presented at a city conference.

10. I was participating in the conference with professors from Stanford, which was fun (they gave us much money for several days), and I made a research project on the international security. I had my first publication at age 20.

Aexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.