Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63230 Topics
442166 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#218577 - 04/16/08 03:56 PM Mumís anguish as her sonís sex attacker is spared
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
This is from a UK newspaper.

A MOTHER has said she is horrified that the paedophile who ďruined her sonís lifeĒ has been spared jail.

Sixty-one-year-old Michael Edward Barnard, who admitted three charges of sexually abusing a young boy in Borth nine years ago, escaped a prison sentence after a judge decided he would be better served on a sex offendersí programme. But the mother of Barnardís young victim said she was stunned that he was not sent to prison and said she would try to have an appeal launched against the sentence.

She said: ďI am not happy about Michael Barnardís sentencing as basi-cally it is like a slap on the wrist. It has made my family and myself very hurt and angry that the judge gave him a sentence like this given the circum-stances and the ongoing trauma it has caused to an innocent victim in my son.

I believe the just option should really be a custodial sentence.Ē She said the sentence had added to the familyís heartbreak. She said: ďMy son is very upset and hurt. He actually said to me ĎThis is why children do not tell adults these things, as a type of sentencing like this seems to condone what the offender has done.í

ďThis gives Barnard the grounds to go out and do it again and again as peo-ple like that donít change. ďHe has ruined my sonís life by what he did to him and due to this, even with counselling, my son may not get over it.

ďMy son has to try to live with this all his life and that man, who by his self-ish and perverse actions has ruined my sonís life, has basically got away scot free. ďBarnardís life isnít ruined because of what he did and I doubt he has any true remorse, nor insight into how he has psychologically damaged a bright and caring individual who was in no way to blame and unable to prevent this gross and unnatural behaviour in someone who is deemed to be an upright and respectable adult member of society.Ē

Judge Christopher Morton heard that Barnard, of Paddock Close, Belton in Great Yarmouth, had told the boy to use a vibrator on him, took indecent pictures of the youngster and tried to have oral sex with him. Prosecutor Catherine Richards said Barnard confessed to the police after he was arrested.

Barnardís barrister, Matthew Gowen, said although he accepted Barnard was charged with serious offences, he didnít think he was a danger to society and that Barnard and the general public would be better protected if Barnard was enrolled on a sex offend-ersí programme.

He said: ďThere are serious elements to this and some worrying under-tones, but he has not reoffended since and does not have a criminal record. ďHe has brought shame on his family, but there is no suggestion he devel-oped a similar interest in any other child.Ē

Barnard was given a three-year com-munity rehabilitation order. He will also have to register as a sex offender for five years and will be banned from working with children for life. He was also ordered to pay £320 in prosecu-tion costs.

Quote:
He actually said to me ĎThis is why children do not tell adults these things, as a type of sentencing like this seems to condone what the offender has done.í

Quote:
ďBarnardís life isnít ruined because of what he did and I doubt he has any true remorse, nor insight into how he has psychologically damaged a bright and caring individual who was in no way to blame and unable to prevent this gross and unnatural behaviour in someone who is deemed to be an upright and respectable adult member of society.Ē

Sorry about their grammar, but what can I say?

It took the kid nine years of trauma to tell, and his abuser is given a slap on the wrist!

ste

#218584 - 04/16/08 04:22 PM Re: Mumís anguish as her sonís sex attacker is spared [Re: reality2k4]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:

but there is no suggestion he devel-oped a similar interest in any other child.

I think that statement is extremely ignorant and naive.

#218813 - 04/17/08 07:48 PM Re: Mumís anguish as her sonís sex attacker is spared [Re: JustScott]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Quote:
ďHe has brought shame on his family, but there is no suggestion he devel-oped a similar interest in any other child.Ē

Since when has that been a requirement for prison sentencing in a CSA case?

Still's Globs

New Video

#218915 - 04/18/08 02:54 PM Re: Mumís anguish as her sonís sex attacker is spa [Re: Still]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Sounds like he kept the others quiet etc.
I wish the kid well because I know that this would have been
my own worst nightmare as a child, and it would lead to me
having severe reservations as to any authority.

The kid gets a life sentence, feels like he wasn't believed,
and will need to get some serious counselling before he totally
believes it was ALL his fault.

The perp gets off with the "fine upstanding gentleman" sentence,
because maybe the judge believes it is just another trivial trial?

ste

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.