Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
5 registered (pufferfish, Obi, finallyhere, don64, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63407 Topics
443315 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218318 - 04/15/08 01:18 PM Larry... this notes fer u
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
some Bo fer yer bucket!
love the rhythm guitarist with the scare-do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8FJergjas&feature=related

\:\)

#218333 - 04/15/08 02:50 PM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: ineffable]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Craig,

Thanks for this one mon \:\) . Bo Diddley is one of my favorites. I remember freaking out over his stuff when I was a teenager.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#218343 - 04/15/08 03:43 PM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: roadrunner]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
To the guitar gods out there, ughhhhh "orgasam" The main, then the song. Try to get through them both it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX79UTGd4no

Okay, know you just saw the guy who played it, imagine the guy who wrote it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZIhDvGmd9E

I love you guitar player's, you are my gods \:\) Nothing like the guitar player

Love
Mike

Edited by mogigo (04/15/08 04:20 PM)

#218448 - 04/15/08 11:49 PM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: mogigo]
theatrekid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: oregon
I'm not trying to hijack this post but this seems like a good place to ask.

I have a guitar I really want to learn how to play it, But i know nothing about music. can some one give me a few tips on what to start out on?
I mean the very basics too. I can't read music or anything.

Thanks guys,
Chris

#218459 - 04/16/08 02:17 AM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: theatrekid]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i had a crazy urge kind of day yesterday, instead of going straight home from uni i went and bought some models to make, a regiment of cadian shock troops, inner child? (but wont touch them till after exams) and then i missed my bus, and ended up buying a waist-coat, i've always liked them, not sure why, it was completely random and i don't need one, but that's probably why i did it, next i saw some books on learning how to read music, and play different instruments, i flicked through them and it doesn't seem like an easy task, but some of the books are good, so i think that's the best place to start Chris, in books.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#218461 - 04/16/08 02:21 AM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: theatrekid]
rehpotsirhcs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Chris,

If I had a guitar I would spend time listening to my favorite songs and trying to hear the notes and match them to guitar strings. I tried this on my stepdad's guitar once.

But, I'm not a guitar expert. I remember when I used to get piano lessons she would teach me the notes by using little kid songs like "twinkle little star" or "marry had a little lamb"... it wasn't real fun. I bet you could learn musical notes by googling around a bit.

I hope this inspires you in some way,
Chris

Edited by rehpotsirhcs (04/16/08 02:21 AM)

#218501 - 04/16/08 08:48 AM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: rehpotsirhcs]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Chris,

In the day of the DVD and WWW, I'd say go with electronic instruction. At your age, you are probably more visual a learner anyway.

I started out by learning scales. If you learn scales, you can do SO much with the guitar. Plus, scales can be really fun and relaxing to master because you can see improvement with every hour you put into practice. You can google beginner scales.

Please....just dont play like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9JYq-mXprw

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#218527 - 04/16/08 11:15 AM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: Still]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
Chris,

In the day of the DVD and WWW, I'd say go with electronic instruction. At your age, you are probably more visual a learner anyway.

I started out by learning scales. If you learn scales, you can do SO much with the guitar. Plus, scales can be really fun and relaxing to master because you can see improvement with every hour you put into practice. You can google beginner scales.

Please....just dont play like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9JYq-mXprw

hmm, yeah, but books are precise, accurate, refined and developed with care and attention with guaranteed professional input and completeness in most cases, websites are not, the age of technology may bring information at the click of a button, but you lose alot in the process, the day everything goes electronic will be a gloomy day in my books (no pun intended). It is true there are different kinds of learners, but books teach more than their contents, they teach patience and develop a sense of being and learning and disposition that internet sites can not, if we continue to point young people towards the fast hyperactive and distractive source of the internet then we will lose alot in the next generation of adults that people probably wont even realise until it is too late. Books are not only made with more quality but they develop a quality in the reader and not just in the transition of the information either. (this is just general- but my point is- lets not knock books)

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#218528 - 04/16/08 11:26 AM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: king tut]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Larry...
You play guitar doncha?
How did you learn my friend?

#218623 - 04/16/08 08:42 PM Re: Larry... this notes fer u [Re: ineffable]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Craig,

Yep. I play mostly blues and roots music, also some old 60s rock - Stones and so forth. This kind of thing is in my family. My great uncle Willard was a musician wandering around from gig to gig in the 30s, then he came back to PA, settled down and started a band called the Royal Hawaiians - guys all dressed up the same, including my Dad, who was 11. He played uke, tenor guitar and banjo. Here's Willard about 1932, somewhere down south:

I started playing when I was maybe 14-15, just after the abuse ended. I was pretty much influenced by my great uncle and his blues pals, who would show up at his place to jam sometimes. I just picked it up from them and really don't know much about keys and chords and so forth. I mostly play slide and finger-style blues. I have 5 guitars now, including two old Dobros from the 30s, which I have set up for slide. Here's my favorite Dobro (1931):

I also have a Gibson flattop (1969), a Martin 12-string (2002) and a hand-made German acoustic.

Much picking,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.