Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
3 registered (BraveFalcon, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63651 Topics
444532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#218179 - 04/14/08 11:22 PM Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Nightline
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Tonight April 14, on Nightline ABC News

Interview with football star Hershell Walker on

his DID = Dissociative Identity Disorder

We don't know what he is going to say yet, but it is

usually caused by CSA

#218193 - 04/15/08 12:04 AM Re: Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Nightline [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
The interview was very, very interesting.

It did not get into "WHY"

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4647428&page=1

His book came out today.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Diss...08232049&sr=1-1

The name of the book: Breaking Free. His name is Herschel Walker, football star with University of Georgia

#218206 - 04/15/08 01:13 AM Re: Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Nightline [Re: pufferfish]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I saw most of it. What an interesting topic. The interviewer kept acting so skeptical... "claims to not remember", etc.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#218208 - 04/15/08 01:15 AM Re: Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Nightline [Re: LandOfShadow]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Hey, didn't he play for the Minnesota Vikings?

#218260 - 04/15/08 08:45 AM Re: Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Nightline [Re: AndyJB2005]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Not from CSA, but another tramatic childhood event.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Diss...08232049&sr=1-1

"Born into a poor, but loving family in the South, Herschel was an overweight child with a stutter who suffered terrible bullying at school. He now understands that he created "alters" who could withstand abuse. But beyond simply enduring, other "alters" came forward to help Herschel overcome numerous obstacles and, by the time he graduated high school, become an athlete recognized on a national level."

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#218282 - 04/15/08 10:38 AM Re: Hershell Walker and DID Interview on ABC Night [Re: onlyakid]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Yeah Andy, I think he did.

Is this interview kind of breaking new ground in the US MSM (mainstream media)? For DID taken seriously?

This review on Amazon was kind of surprizing.

Quote:
By Therapist (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I just watched the rather balanced piece on ABC that included collaborating interviews with people in Herschel's life over time. I am now ordering this book. I am a therapist and work with DID in my private practice. At the hospital where I also work (Psychiatric hospital) there are Doctors and Therapists who don't really believe in DID. Can you imagine the difficulty this places on both the professionals who work with patients and the patients with DID who are simply trying to provide and gain some relief from their symptoms? Don't even get me started on Insurance Company problems with this disorder. In my private practice experience, I have also encountered professionals who see it everywhere even if it is not likely there. In my experience, this is also a disorder where the professional working within in the shadows of disbelief (from the profession) have to tread very carefully lest they complicate the process more, and were there seems to be a higher percentage of boundary problems, cross transference, and fatigue, between patient and professional. I know more than one professional who has had their licensed revoked after spending many years working with DID and providing much needed healing and understanding to their patients. If this weren't such a shadow diagnosis, I think that the profession could better dialog about the specific risks brought on in working with DID. I think that it is time that both the good (and less good) experiences with DID come to light. I think that our world has just been blessed by Mr. Walker and I send a blessing back to him.

Another good book to read is: I Am More Than One by Jane Hyman

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.