Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
6 registered (don64, CafeMan, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63361 Topics
443061 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#217269 - 04/11/08 08:14 AM bilbo's last song
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
'Bilbo's Last Song'

Day is ended, dim my eyes,
but journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
beyond the sunset leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the Sea.

Farewell, friends! The sails are set,
the wind is east, the moorings fret.
Shadows long before me lie,
beneath the ever-bending sky,
but islands lie behind the Sun
that I shall raise ere all is done;
lands there are to west of West,
where night is quiet and sleep is rest.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I'll find the havens fair and free,
and beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship, my ship! I seek the West,
and fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the Star above my mast!

-- J. R. R. Tolkien

When I was five, my dad bought the Bbc radio version of Lord of the rings for me and my brother, which includes a beautiful musical setting of this poem by Tolkeen at the end. It always made me cry when hereing it, ---- right up to the age of about ten or so. I don't know what it was, the music, the words, or the situation of Bilbo, frodo and co taking ship from the grey havens at the end of lotr, but I could never avoid tears.

Today, I heard the soundtrack cd (which has the full three verse version set to music), and once again I cried, ---- though for a very different reason, ---- sinse this time it's me that's setting course for the islands behind the sun.

Just thought I'd share this.

#217276 - 04/11/08 08:47 AM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: dark empathy]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Quote:
it's me that's setting course for the islands behind the sun.

What do you mean? You're coming to visit us here in America?! \:\) We'll start preparing the party field!

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#217280 - 04/11/08 08:54 AM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: LandOfShadow]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I gotta look this up and find that set! Would love to hear it!!

Fantastic stuff! I have all the extended edition movies on DVD, and I just can't get enough LoTR.

Thanks!

#217304 - 04/11/08 10:33 AM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: JustScott]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

well set up the party field if you like, ---- but don't be surprised should I give a speech and then disappear shortly after dinner, lol!

I must admit, lotr ---- well the books anyway, is one of my more major obsessions.

for my 17th birthday my parents got me a plain gold wedding ring engraved with the appropriate words (outside and inside" so I can legitimately say "It was our birthday birthday present my precious"

I'm probably biased sinse I was introduced to it at such a young age, ---- three years before I read the book for real, but I absolutely love the 1981 Bbc radio play. Weerdly, it even stars a much younger Ian holme as Frodo.

I'm not sure how available bbc radio stuff is in the states, but I know that it was last released on Cd in 2002 and is stil being sold, ---- so you might even be able to get it from somewhere like amazon. but before I am swept off my feet by a huge tolkeen wrant I'll stop, sinse that's one road that really does go ever on and on, lol!

#217424 - 04/11/08 07:47 PM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: dark empathy]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Good gracious, lads! You really are hobbits at heart! I was just about the take tea. Pray sit here by the fire and have some with old LandOfShadow. Or I've got something stronger if you like!

Roaming fields and woods of Middle earth... is one of my more favorite places to escape to.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#217568 - 04/12/08 12:46 PM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: LandOfShadow]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm afraid so, actually my parents often call me bilbo baggins, and I do love writing, ---- though "at the moment I've been so sleepy, that whn I have time to write, I only really like writing poetry" --- lol! yes, I'm obsessed.

i'm not sure if it's quite as describable as an escape for me, sinse I'm very immotionally intangled with anything I read, ---- tolkeen especially, and it takes quite a bit of energy to get myself into that sympathetic state, --- and in fact I can't do it on a bad day accept with something incredibly immotionally easy going such as star trek (which I'm certainly not half as obsessed with as with tolkenn).

Hmmmm, this is something i'll have to think about.

#218042 - 04/14/08 12:29 PM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: dark empathy]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Is this the set you're referring to??? http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-BBC-Dra...08190059&sr=8-1
or this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-BBC-Rad...08190059&sr=8-2
I'd love to look into this audio set you've mentioned, but I want to be sure to get the one with the spiffy music you have listed here!

Edited by JustScott (04/14/08 12:30 PM)

#218052 - 04/14/08 02:05 PM Re: bilbo's last song [Re: JustScott]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hmmm scot, I'm afraid I'm really not certain, sinse Amazon doesn't make life easy for people using screen readers (too many adverts), and the release I own was made in the mid 90's, not the recent 2002 remastered release (though I believe that one stil comes with the soundtrack).

the price I find a little odd, sinse the complete thing should be 13 Cd's pluss the soundtrack, and being as it's the same price as the hobbit bbc radio play (which was only four disks pluss the soundtrack), this seems a litle odd.

I have also heard that somehow they've split it into the three volumes, fellowship of the ring etc, though I'm not sure how this works.

Here's the wikipedia artical which has release info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281981_radio_series%29

I'll have words with a friend of mine and get back to you when i have some more information, sinse as I said, imho it's the best adaptation of lotr ever, ---- though of course I'm biased.

I'm really sorry I can't be more help on this one.

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.