Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
1 registered (rolex), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#217751 - 04/13/08 08:23 AM Should Children be Taught This?
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA

Can you tell someone's intent by learning certain characteristics?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24036082?GT1=43001

I know that the intent of this article was not for children, but wouldn't it have been cool if we could have recognized their intent?

#217754 - 04/13/08 08:39 AM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: pufferfish]
hogan_dawg Offline

Google Ekman's Facial Action Coding Scale - he's the boss for this kind of stuff.

Typically you have to train facial raters. It's difficult. 100 hours of training. Plus, there's an ethical concern in introducing such concepts into a very young child's cognitive repertoire.

One problem with street proofing 2-4 year olds is that they don't have a sophisticated language for understanding deception or misdirection, tactics perpetrators employ.

Yes it would have been extremely cool to have these tools in my arsenal before the attacks - I feel this as an adult only. It also would have been extremely cool if I'd been taught when it is appropriate to bite down hard.

Edited by hogan_dawg (04/13/08 08:51 AM)

#217755 - 04/13/08 08:40 AM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: pufferfish]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Pufferfish,

Interesting article. It's uncanny how interest in casual sex as opposed to commitment seems to show in one's face. But I wonder at the reasoning. According to this study any guy with strong square features is doomed by physiology to always want casual sex as opposed to a relationship.

When I was a teenager none of this mattered all that much. I thought that everyone who approached me or was nice to me wanted me for casual sex.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#217803 - 04/13/08 12:08 PM Re: Should Children be Taught This? [Re: roadrunner]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Quote:
ôSo in fact, we do judge a book by its cover. And the funny thing is, it often works for us.ö

I found this to be true in my adult life. As a child I was not as aware of first impressions as I am now and today they are usually right.
Hard to do this on the internet though.

__m_˘┐˘_m__
|| || || || || || |

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.