Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1159, finallyhere, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64008 Topics
446740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#217326 - 04/11/08 12:32 PM My Decision
USFbull Offline

Loc: Florida
I'm not coming back to USF next year. I'm spinning my wheels here. Ever since my supressed memories emerged in high school I havent been able to do well in school. My parents discussed enterting therapy this summer, but how quickly am I am going to be to overcomemy issues to the point of functionality if I can only do 3 months of therapy, then go to school, then 3 months of therapy. It will be years before anything is resolved. I've made the determination to enter therapy full time, work, and live. I'm making therapy my number one concern. I'm probably going to have to find a place on my own, close to a good therapist. Of course get a job etc. My parents will be able to help me out a little bit but its still going to be tough. If anyone in the Tampa, Brandon, St. Pete, area has any recommendations I would appreciate them, pm is fine. Thanks everyone in advance. Wish me luck!

These tears are shaken from
the wrath-bearing tree.
~T.S. Eliot~

#217327 - 04/11/08 12:34 PM Re: My Decision [Re: USFbull]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Good luck, man. Gotta follow your heart. \:\)

#217328 - 04/11/08 12:39 PM Re: My Decision [Re: USFbull]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
USFbull,
I think that is smart. Get you head together and everything else will be much easier. Two things come to mind. One it may take less time than you think to become functional so don't be surpirsed. Second if you want to speed up your healing, be totally, painfully honest with your T. Tell him everything no matter how trivial or embarassing it may eeem. Once he has all the facts he can guide you. That is a decision I made long ago and it has served me very well. Well, there is one more thing. No matter what exercise or treatment he suggests try it. Some of the stuff I was ask to do seemed pretty stupid but I found if you get a really good T they know what they are doing. Best of luck.

#217335 - 04/11/08 12:49 PM Re: My Decision [Re: Freedom49]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
USF, Good luck to you! I hope you will return to school once you feel you are able, but your mental-health and well-being should come first. I hope everything works out for you!

#217341 - 04/11/08 01:16 PM Re: My Decision [Re: Darren]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
USFbull,

I am a university professor and also work with students who encounter troubles during their work in college. On some occasions it becomes crystal clear that the student is not going to be able to cope with the pressure of full-time studies and will just do poorly if he continues. In that situation it is ALWAYS better for the student to take a break, regroup, and return to studies later.

So I think you are taking a good and wise decision, bro. Deal with the problems facing you, and then return to your studies with the strength and confidence you need to do your best.

But can I offer two pointers here? If you can, please do go to your professor and explain the situation as best you can. You don't have to refer to CSA; saying that you are facing "personal difficulties" will suffice. This will be lots better than just disappearing.

The other point is that in most universities you can withdraw for a time on either personal or medical grounds. If you leave for personal reasons then it's up to you when you return, subject to available places in the year and subject you want. If you leave for medical reasons, then you will probably be asked to produce medical confirmation showing that you can resume your studies. Which way you go will depend on your circumstances and the regulations at your university, so this is worth checking out now, before you decide how you want to proceed. Your Office of Student Affairs ought to have someone you can talk to in confidence.

Good luck, my friend. From what you say I think you are making the right decision.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#217406 - 04/11/08 06:10 PM Re: My Decision [Re: roadrunner]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
He USFbull,
Are you talking University of San Fransisco. University of Southern Florida? And getting a therapist for you is most important so maybe think about getting a therapist near where you are going to go to school.

#217432 - 04/11/08 08:51 PM Re: My Decision [Re: simonsurvives]
USFbull Offline

Loc: Florida
University of South Florida, I appreciate everyones wishes and gratitude. I'm glad most people are seeing this as a wise decision. Thank you especially roadrunner, I am close to some of my professors and they are helping out immensly, but thank you for the advice!

These tears are shaken from
the wrath-bearing tree.
~T.S. Eliot~

#217519 - 04/12/08 06:18 AM Re: My Decision [Re: USFbull]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
USFbull,

I'm really glad some of your profs know you on a personal basis. Having this kind of connection will help you a lot when it comes time to consider a return to your studies. If you wish to do so, please feel free to PM me about this.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.