Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (Mr. Malaise, don64, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#216745 - 04/09/08 04:53 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: dking777]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
This is my view and by no means is it meant to be an attack on organized religion or any one belief system.

For myself anyway I believe in faith. Faith in what I'm not sure, Faith I can heal from my past. Faith in anything positive will probably bring positive results, and I think that is more due to the human brain chemistry than an almighty being randomly healing those worthy of his gift. I think we are pretty ignorant of the power of the human brain and what it can do. After all this world is just our perception of it as we experienced it. Change your perception and change your world.
I have had one near death experience but I did not meet a god. What it was I do not know and I have interpreted it in many ways.
I believe it was a safe place my mind created for me while the trauma of my body healed from the toxic condition it was in.

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#216906 - 04/09/08 07:20 PM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: GateKPR4]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The High Seas
Some very sincere and thoughtful comments here... thank you for your thoughts, everyone!... You have given me more to think about.

-Darren

#217021 - 04/10/08 08:05 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: Darren]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Now that I've had time to think about the comments here to my original post, I wanted to respond to your thoughts.

Mark: I'm sorry that you, too, have lost many of your Chistian friends as have I. This is sad. As to your other comments, I appreciate your Bible references, as I have turned to the 'good book' many a time for comfort and guidance in the past. Although it's been gathering dust for quite a while now, you inspired me to to take it off the shelf and look up those quotes. This brought back some bitter-sweet memories. I find it fascinating that simply feeling guilty about something would make something a sin for one person but not another: "But the man who has doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith" -Romans 14:23. This would beg the question, what else might not be considered sinful if it is done 'from faith'? Is murder a sin, if it is done 'from faith'? Someone could justify murder by thinking the other person is evil, and needs to die, thereby doing it 'from faith'... this is probably what motivates a lot of serial killers. And then what of the CSA perps? Maybe some of them do what they do 'from faith', believing it is their right, that their child is their property to do with as they please. This certainly seems to be the case in Texas, where girls as young as 13 and 14 were being spiritually married to men of the church and then habitually raped and beaten. Certainly these men were doing what they were doing 'from faith', therefore not sinful in God's eyes?

Richie: Yes, I have read I Corinthians 6:9-11 many a time, and have struggled with the meaning of it. It is interesting that in my version of the New International Version it refers to 'male prostitutes' and 'homosexual offenders' where the New Catholic Edition refers to 'the effeminate' and 'sodomties' as not possessing the kingdom of God. Volumes have been written about this, and there is no definitive consensus, as far as I can tell, about what is really being referred to. In fact, there is so much variation in these verses between just these two bibles it makes my head spin! Which interpretation, if any, do I believe?

WalkingSouth: Yes, I believe those Christian 'friends' of mine were not in tune with the namesake of their religion. This seems to be the rule rather than the exception, though.

Freedom49: Your God is a God I would like to believe in: One who is all loving and accepting, nonjudgmental.

dking777: Your testimony was the most intriguing to me. Your experience is fascinating to read, and if there is a God and heaven I would also want it to be like you have described. Thank you for taking the time to respond at length, and to include so many references and links.

GakeKpr: I think I believe more as you do. I think the brain is more powerful than we know, and has ways of changing our perception of reality in order to protect us from ourselves, as is the case with CSA and the dissociation many of us experience in that regard. I believe also the mind can manufacture visions and religious experiences as a way of protecting us as well. If we feel we have nothing to live for, our mind can manufacture a religious experience to give our life meaning. I believe this is what happened to me.

As I told a Christian friend of mine not too long ago, I just don't think I believe in any of it anymore. I hold out little hope of ever rejoining the fold; short of God knocking on my door and telling me that yes, it is true after all. My Christian friend told me that faith really is the key; if you don't have faith, you can't have a belief in God. But isn't faith just hope, and isn't hope just a gamble, a guess?

I can't live my life based on a guess.

#217029 - 04/10/08 09:51 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: Darren]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
The>

#217034 - 04/10/08 10:08 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: MarkK]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Hi all

This is from another book

"Words reduce reality to something the human mind can grasp, which isn't very much.
Language consists of 5 basic sounds produced by the vocal cords.
They are the vowels a, e, i, o, u.
The other sounds are consonants produced by air pressure: s, f, g and so forth.
Do you believe some combination of such basic sounds could ever explain who you are, or
the ultimate purpose of the universe, or even what a tree or stone is in its depth?"

In the beginning was the Word

Sexuality is God given
As is humanity

nuff said

C

Edited by ineffable (04/10/08 10:51 AM)

#217059 - 04/10/08 01:04 PM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: ineffable]
maxshame Offline
New Here

god is a man made marketing gimmick to promote a certain ideology, organized religions gods are evil hate mongering phony lies. the real God is all knowing and ever present in all our hearts, never judging or condemning.

#217067 - 04/10/08 01:37 PM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: maxshame]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Except for the first phrase to the first comma, I agree with you Maxshame.

#217199 - 04/10/08 11:12 PM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: Freedom49]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
We may possibly be a little shy of this forum, but there are other atheists here as well, and I think we would probably all agree that atheists can be spiritual too.

I think it's a misconception that an atheist has to be a person who believes in nothing and believes that life is an "accident". The fact that I don't believe in a being that in any way resembles humanity who is running the show doesn't mean that I don't believe the universe has an aspect of intelligence and direction.

Anyway, just want to let you know you're not alone.

#217235 - 04/11/08 01:10 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: blueshift]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: blueshift
I think we would probably all agree that atheists can be spiritual too.

Indeed we can. Spirituality does not necessarily mean one is spiritual with, to, or for a given religion, organized or not. One definition is "Of, or relating to the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."

I think that pretty much covers the issue you speak of, blueshift, but it goes beyond that as well. To me it also has a meaning of being kind, loving, caring, etc., and possessing within one's heart and mind a sense of the greater purpose of humanity and the universe than just living only for oneself.

#217314 - 04/11/08 11:31 AM Re: Is there a God? TRIGGER WARNING [Re: blueshift]
Darren Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: blueshift
just want to let you know you're not alone.

Thanks Blueshift! I'm glad I'm not alone in my thoughts on this topic and that there are others here who feel the same way.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.