Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
5 registered (Ken Singer, LCSW, Scott1962, Obi, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444092 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#216333 - 04/07/08 09:47 PM why i get drowzy reading truama...? ...no idea
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
I cannot remember a time when i would read about trauma and not get so drowzy that i fall asleep.When i wake up after about 10 minutes i am fine and it's as though i never fell asleep to begin with.

Is this a normal

Is it a signal from the body to stop reading therefore a defense mechanism.

This really irritates me and i wish it would stop.I read the book "Victims no longer" many years ago and one of the things i remember reading is heavily yawning and getting real drowzy are the hallmark of the body telling you it's time to put the book down.However i disagree because it always happens within 10 minutes of picking up the book and i get so drowzy that i cant keep my eyes open.

I'm not ok with this and i have tried reading about csa during all kinds of hours ...late night,day light,first thing in the AM,early evening,afternoon....etc etc ....and sure enough i get drowzy yet even when i drink alot of coffee sure enough i get friggin tired.

Why am i not drowzy talking / typing about it am i not doing the same thing only more focus is required to do both type / and read what i am typing sitting here posting about "trauma"

Anyway this has been on my mind for awhile and it's really pissing me off and i absolutely love to read yet i struggle with keeping my damn eyes open.

I have dealt with my csa in therapy for over 4 yrs now and yet again i can't figure out why this always happens.....am i making any sense.

Coop

#216399 - 04/08/08 01:06 AM Re: why i get drowzy reading truama...? ...no idea [Re: thecoopstah]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Well, i for one often have a similar reaction with anything that pushes the "overwhelm" button for me- and sometimes that's included reading posts on here, dealing with unsolvable family problems, etc. I get an overwhelming urge to go to sleep, and it's not the happy, cozy feeling of "sitting on a soft couch in a warm room after shoveling snow for three hours" sleepy; it's the "had the flu for a week, way too little energy for anything" type. So, yes, you make sense to me...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.