Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (peroperic2009, mike1965), 69 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62517 Topics
438110 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#216149 - 04/07/08 01:11 PM the relationship
nic_z Offline
New Here

this morning i woke numb, ready to throw up dreading tomorrow. my gf is back tomorrow. i wish i could think clearly about this...wish i felt different.
we've been together for a few years. it started out as good friends.
i was at a bar one night met someone and later things went bad. i crashed with nightmares, flashbacks, panic...the ptsd kicked in real bad.
when i lost my last job and got on disability for ptsd she let me sleep on her couch for the 7 months it took to get it.
it was not going to be more than a friendship, she had made that real clear because of the age difference and my baggage , but thats not how it turned out.
she help me though the flashbacks, my confusion, shame. she got help for me when the s.i. got bad enough to be hospitalized. she set boundaries on intimacy to keep things healthy between us... difficult for me because i had/(do?) up until then equated sex with pain. for her too, there has been healing. she said i was the first person she trusted to really open up to intimacy, and it was good. she stopped the drinking because she wanted us to stay together. she started doing her work too.
what happened?
-i'm tired of caretaking though broken bones from bouts of occasional drinking. (and she is a mean drunk). tired of caretaking though her depressions and heart surgery. tired of the constant control and threats to leave. tired of being called a child.
- do i see this clearly? according to the couples therapist, i do.
this year has been rough, she has told me she is a sexual anorexic vs my addiction.
yeah, i can handle this, she is a survivor too...i understand.
it's the attacks, i think...when i attempt to set boundaries instead of being like her little lap dog she attacks and goes into days of depression under the blankets. i feel guilt for putting her there.
last week was bad, i tried without attacking to tell her change is needed. she attacked, justified.....i s.i'd, damaged the bathroom door by pounding it and kicking. threw things... broke things, including her things this time. and pushed her back when she started pushing me.
do i love her? i think so, thought so. can i really love anyone? can she?
yea, well...i guess i know now why i feel sick about her coming back tomorrow.

#216186 - 04/07/08 02:48 PM Re: the relationship [Re: nic_z]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
nic-z In spite of what you say and you feel. From an outsiders perspective this does not look like a healthy relationship for either of you. I see only tragedy here and not much progress in either one of your recovery efforts. Just a thought from an outsiders point of view.

#216321 - 04/07/08 09:20 PM Re: the relationship [Re: Freedom49]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Nic,

I have to agree with Roger. The situation you're in sounds toxic in every way. You both have your problems, so perhaps pure blame can't be laid at anyone's feet, but sometimes 2 people just aren't good for each other.

I don't know what your options are for moving out, but if you can, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. You were friends at one time, maybe with some distance, you can be again.

ROCK ON........Trish

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.