Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jay1946, HenryinJax, 2 invisible), 48 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441374 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#216313 - 04/07/08 09:02 PM always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
I cannot remember a time when i would read about trauma and not get so drowzy that i fall asleep.When i wake up after about 10 minutes i am fine and it's as though i never fell asleep to begin with.

Is this a normal

Is it a signal from the body to stop reading therefore a defense mechanism.

This really irritates me and i wish it would stop.I read the book "Victims no longer" many years ago and one of the things i remember reading is heavily yawning and getting real drowzy are the hallmark of the body telling you it's time to put the book down.However i disagree because it always happens within 10 minutes of picking up the book and i get so drowzy that i cant keep my eyes open.

I'm not ok with this and i have tried reading about csa during all kinds of hours ...late night,day light,first thing in the AM,early evening,afternoon....etc etc ....and sure enough i get drowzy yet even when i drink alot of coffee sure enough i get friggin tired.

Why am i not drowzy talking / typing about it am i not doing the same thing only more focus is required to do both type / and read what i am typing sitting here posting about "trauma"

Anyway this has been on my mind for awhile and it's really pissing me off and i absolutely love to read yet i struggle with keeping my damn eyes open.

I have dealt with my csa in therapy for over 4 yrs now and yet again i can't figure out why this always happens.....am i making any sense.

Coop

#216328 - 04/07/08 09:29 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: thecoopstah]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Hey, Coop - do you get drowsy reading in general? I wonder if you could listen to someone reading it to you?

For me, typing is active - physically - and much more stimiulating that reading... and reading what you wrote is very cognitively active because you are editing/evaluating something you wrote (and if you are like most people, you are usually very interested in what you wrote, or you wouldn't have written it \:\) )

just some thoughts.

Dan

Marge Simpson

#216332 - 04/07/08 09:44 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: dannym]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

hey stranger i am glad i heard from you again,.to answer your question no idont usually get drowzy when i read only when i read about trauma.

I wish i knew why i do this.....i guess its not important ...only that i cant help it and i will deal with it ....i'd like to chat more but lisa is watching a movie and i am pretty loud when i type and she keeps turning up the vloume....ok maybe she's not turning up the volume alot but i think you get my point.I hope.....stay in touch buddy i like hearing from you and your perspective is important and alot of wisdom.

Coop

#216336 - 04/07/08 10:13 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: thecoopstah]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hi again Coop

Do you mean trauma IN GENERAL or do you mean trauma that happens to be particularly triggering to you? I ask this because, in my own case, I tend to "shut down" and simply want to desist what ever I'm getting into when I get upset or feeling helpless and/or angered by a particular activity/event. It's like, in the back of my mind, I'm saying "fuck it" or "forget this", all it does is get me upset and gets me nowhere.

#216343 - 04/07/08 10:31 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: Hauser]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

no i get drowzy in general and asfar as triggering no.....if i feel the least bit triggered i dont ever pick it up again..Coop

#216364 - 04/07/08 11:28 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: thecoopstah]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
One of the basic responses to trauma, that we humans have just like all animals, is called "hypoarousal" by my T. Here, "arousal" refers to the degree of excitement of your nervous/defensive systems. It's the play dead survival response you see in animals. I experience it quite a lot, though it has taken a lot of practice to learn to recognize it. I just, yes, get sleepy, very "slow", rather unaware of things going on. Like I'm very tired. It helps me to quickly get up and walk around, movement to interrupt it or I may "shut down" completely.

The others are Freeze (like play dead but awareness, energy remain very high, like in fight or flight), and fight and flight.

"Waking the Tiger" if you have that book talks about it I think. I guess it tends to come after a freeze response or fight or flight that hasn't worked.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#216375 - 04/07/08 11:47 PM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: LandOfShadow]
hogan_dawg Offline

Depending on the kind of thinking you do, it's possible that thinking a lot about a topic and all of it's implications will tire you out. You might be depleting 'executive' memory resources that are used for 'working' memory. Once memory resources are depleted, you get tired.

The substrate would be glucose. Deplete it and you're exhausted.

Eat a good breakfast, some OJ, sit down and read. Skim if you have to and put it down after about 45 minutes of thought. Pick it up again after you've had lunch or whatever. Don't try to read more than 45 minutes at a stretch or you're wasting your time. For some it'll be 30 minutes.

Edited by hogan_dawg (04/07/08 11:48 PM)

#216392 - 04/08/08 12:42 AM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: hogan_dawg]
Magoo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: far, far away
I read somewhere reading simulates R.E.M. and before you know it, zzzzzzzzzzzz your out!

M

#216490 - 04/08/08 11:20 AM Re: always really drowzy reading about CSA....WHY [Re: Magoo]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I often found that in therapy, whenever my T and I would get close to really sensitive issues I would inevitably start to get tired and feel like I'm about to fall asleep.

He said it was a defense mechanism: the mind decides to shut itself down rather than think about things that make it uncomfortable.

Dan

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.