Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (blufish, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63854 Topics
445859 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212718 - 03/24/08 03:10 PM Trapped and Codependent
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
For background on my situation, see the "Couples counseling tonight" thread on this board.

I had a decent weekend with my partner (better, now, "cohabitant") but I felt trapped. I felt as if I were being suffocated in really tiny box. I thought about how he will be turning 50 next month and I'm 28. I thought about how could I possibly ever leave him? What would he do? Would he be alone for the rest of his life? Could I abandon him? I immediately felt trapped, that I would be stuck in this relationship for the rest of his life (a good what, 30, 40 years?) by which time I'd be old with my best years far behind me. I felt like I was drowning.

Thankfully, I got out last night for some much needed R&R with a good friend, and I was feeling good today. But then I spoke to him on the phone just now just to check in and see how he was doing and he said he was feeling "blue."

My defenses are weakening. I felt bad. I felt guilty. I felt like I was responsible and to blame for his feeling sad. I felt that I am a horrible person who has harmed and wronged him and made him unhappy.

I'm feeling very alone right now. My boss is out of town today and there's not much to do around the office. I went shopping at an Army & Navy store over lunch time and flirted with the really cute sales clerk, but even that wasn't enough to lift my spirits -- it only hit further home how trapped I feel.

I wish I could run away. If it weren't for the mortgage and the dogs I'd pack up my things and go. But I can't abandon my committment to these animals nor can I reneg on my financial commitment to my partner.

I don't know what I'm looking for posting this: it's good just to reach out across the cybernetic ether to find some kind of connection or support. Any comments gratefully appreciated.

I really want to be sure that I'm not a horrible, awful, evil person. \:\(

#212721 - 03/24/08 03:21 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: VLinvictus]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
All feelings are valid no matter what you feel. The guilt comes from the lies. The lies inside that have binded us to the people that hurt us. I hate these feelings as well. I can see a lot of confusion in your post and I see that these feelings are all over the place. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to be with someone. People do change and it is in this that we have to change with each other. If you personally feel that your partner cannot provide you with this need that maybe it is time to leave. This is all based on what you wrote without more information I cannot help much and i don't mean to pry if I am. At the same time i noticed that you mentioned trapped not just by your partner but your life in general. Your partner is a part of your life and so are your dogs and the morgage and your job. It sounds like maybe a helpful few days off to a vacation spot or a day trip somewhere. I live in Fresno California and that is about 3 hours from San Francisco and one weekend my friends decided that we should go to SF. It was only a day trip but man did we have fun. It gave me a lot of perspective on my life and where I wanted to go with it. Sometimes that can help as well. I constantly feel trapped in my life. Sometimes that has to do with our past as well. Whenever I get close with anyone sexually or emotionally i back off in some way. Sometimes to extremes. Out of this whole thing I hope you hear that your feelings are valid and you are DEFINITELY NOT a bad person. You deserve to be happy and loved remember that. Thank you.

Simon

#213000 - 03/25/08 02:25 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: VLinvictus]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
VL,

You're not a horrible, awful, evil person! Repeat that to yourself as needed.

You feel like you are smothering in your present situation. From your previous posts you've said that this was your first serious relationship and there is/was a power imbalance. It seems that you want a more equal relationship in all ways not just financial and dog ownership. You want your life to be more fulfilling. There is nothing wrong with that. You cannot be responsible for how someone else feels or reacts to your feelings.

Take good care of yourself, you have a lot of support here when you need it.

Steve

#214297 - 03/31/08 12:25 AM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: Stephen_5]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Hope you don't mind a straight guy barging in on you. But I can so relate to that trapped feeling. I am 51 married to a 80+ woman. Part of the problem between you and you man could be that he may be going through his mid-life crisis. He probably thinks if he losses you, he'll be alone in old age. I am not suggesting that you stay with him. He hooked up with you knowing full well that there was a large age difference between you two. You are now a young man able to think on your own.

On the housing problem, I suspect that it will take about two more years to correct it's self.

take care,
Clifford

#216288 - 04/07/08 07:40 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: lostcowboy]
Jordan Offline
New Here

Loc: Kenosha, WI
I'm 20 and gay, feeling something similar to you in regard to my straight best friend whom I have absolutely controllable, but definite feelings for.

We've got an extremely close relationship, to the point where people suspect more than a friendship. It's definitely not, but it's starting to feel as though it is; completely platonic, but nonetheless. My father was my abuser and his father was abusive to his mother and died the same time I told my mom what was going on with my dad. It's just one of those friendships that you know will be there forever.

He got a new job a couple weeks ago and the schedule is completely opposite of what he/we was/were used to. He's up at 3:45 every morning for work and usually out at 2: right when I'm going in to work and by the time I'm out of work, he's asleep.

I was somewhat resentful about it at first. We both are pretty busy, but we spend all our time together when we're not working or sleeping, whether it's our band or just hanging around. I started to feel like he cared less, and thus started showing that I care less, and the first time I saw him after he started the job, he seemed to be really, really sad if it came up that we hadn't seen each other in a while.

I felt awful. I knew it was because of how short I had been with him the few times we had talked since he started the job and we really both don't have anything but each other right now.

I think it's just a natural reaction to deny eye contact with something we're not sure of or not happy with. It definitely doesn't mean you don't care about your partner and it definitely doesn't make you an evil, awful, OR horrible person. It makes you human.

This is my first post.
Soooooo long, sorry.
I just feel like maybe some people are gonna listen and want to be heard here.

Hope things are better for you.

-Jordan

#216307 - 04/07/08 08:38 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: Jordan]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hi Jordan,
Welcome, welcome! What a great first post! I just want to let you and VLinvictus know... I'm listening, I'm listening...

You both are great guys to me.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#217183 - 04/10/08 09:58 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: LandOfShadow]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
It seems like survivors---among other categories, I'm sure, are really good at feeling like everyone else feeling good is our responsibility. If some one feels bad because of us feeling how we feel, it's got to be our fault (we think). We gotta try to distinguish between our programming and what really makes sense.
No one ever needs spectacular reasons for getting into relationships, but most people seem to feel they need to convince half of congress to get out of one.

I hope your partner can love you enough to let you go. Your being in a relationship you feel trapped in isn't good for either of you.

I know it isn't that simple, but I think it's a piece of the picture anyway.

#217346 - 04/11/08 01:45 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: blueshift]
Roofus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Utah
Vlinvictus,

just want you to know you are not alone. Im in exactly the same boat. I've been with my 'partner' for 8 years now. Im 36, he's 54. Our relationship has been rocky at best, and we have separated, gotten back together, separated, and gotten back together so many times. I try to get out, but he has a very controlling way about him that always pulls me back in even against my own good judgment.

What keeps pulling me back are exactly the same issues you bring up. My fear that he will fall apart if I leave permanently, our two beautiful dogs that we both love, and our home and financial commitments.

I don't know how to escape. Recently when I went to the WoR, I sat in the airport on my way back. I was sooooo tempted to walk up to the ticket counter and buy a ticket to anywhere else but home. Even now, I feel as though my only way out will be to disappear into no where... go somewhere that no one will know me, and no one will know where I am.

My partner (or as I like to call him, room mate), is a very controlling man, and his anger is something to steer clear from. I guess Im feeling that my only way to escape everything is to just run away, but that too scares me... not to mention I really do love and rely on my dogs (my kids).

I just want you to know you're not alone. I don't know what to tell you... I wish I had the answers. If I did, I'd give them to you.

Hang in there, and PM me if you like. Would love to swap stories with you.

#218016 - 04/14/08 10:24 AM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: Roofus]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Wow, Roofus!

Thanks so much for the reply. It makes me feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone! That's been one of the worst parts of this whole mess, the loneliness. It's easy for people to say "Why don't you just break up?" But as you know, it's far from simple.

Your avatar makes me chuckle. A few months ago, the cantor of my synagogue and his boyfriend announced they were getting married. They were showing off their engagement rings and were kvelling about how they had them specially made at this trendy jewelry store in SoHo.

"That's really nice!" I said, and then gestured to the gold band on my left hand.* "My was forged in the fires of Mount Doom, and unfortunately that's the only place it can be destroyed!"

*I don't wear it anymore. I keep it in the zipper pocket of my wallet when I'm not around him.

#218057 - 04/14/08 02:24 PM Re: Trapped and Codependent [Re: VLinvictus]
Roofus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Utah
VLinvictus,

we have so much in common... shoot me PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.