Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
5 registered (randombreeze, tbkkfile, Cthulhu, whiteflag, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63228 Topics
442144 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#214067 - 03/29/08 09:31 PM Misconstrued Male Rape Victim Statistics
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
"THE UNBIASED FACTS"

Popularized male rape victim statistics today suggest that the majority of men victimized by rape are recognized as being homosexual in orientation. However; the logical argument by inference suggest that these statistics only give evidence insomuch with the fact supporting that male rape victims recognized as homosexual are statistically ("more apt") to "report" their sexual assault to hospital's or mental health institutions, as opposed to most heterosexual male rape victims who are more apt to choose in remaining silent.

Currently; the prevailing statistical correlation between homosexual and heterosexual male rape victims shows only a marginal difference with homosexual men, who are more likely to be sexually assaulted due to the unfortunate fact that they are often targets of anti-gay violence. Regardless of sexual orientation, "all" male rape victims suffer virtually the same life-long traumatic injuries and intense stigma of rape assault.

Many clinical experts believe that there is a "greater number" of heterosexual men who do not report their rape ordeal to hospitals or mental health institutions. Regrettably; society has chosen to adopt an unfair biased consensus associated with all male rape victims who are often detrimentally pegged or classified as being gay. These conjectural beliefs are largely supported by cultural mainstream biased beliefs, assumptions, and false myths. The prevailing societal belief that men are rarely raped, or that it's only men incarcerated behind prison walls that gets raped, perpetuates a very cruel and callous stigma attached to "all" male rape victims.

Most men sexually assaulted tend not to report their victimization. they strongly fear "invasive medical examinations and procedures", including psychological counseling because; it only heightens a male rape victims traumatic sequella related to their harrowing affliction. While rape is undoubtedly a heinous crime of violence, male rape victims are often deeply shamed by the taboo of same-sex sexual contact, even though the actual rape itself was provoked by the violent force of aggressors.

Male-on-male rape seriously contributes to a deep sense of isolation and despair that carries with it painful life-long stigmatic effects. Of those men who actually report their violent rape ordeal; only forty percent identify themselves as heterosexual. Most mental health organisations believe that these figures are greatly under-estimated.

In fact; from a world-wide prospective, clinical experts believe that ("if") the vast majority of heterosexual male rape victims who choose not to come forward were to actually seek professional help; it would strikingly reveal a more accurate statistical account, quantifying the plausible authentication that most male rape victims are indeed heterosexual.
Regrettably; there is for the most part "no" mode of public information or mental health care systematization readily accessible to ease and assist respective homosexual or heterosexual male rape victims in making the alternative action to seek professional help.

Edited by jcf1957 (03/29/08 09:33 PM)

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#214101 - 03/30/08 12:50 AM Re: Misconstrued Male Rape Victim Statistics [Re: jcf1957]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
When I was raped . I did not report it imeadetly .Because I am a streight man . I was scared and embaresed. when I did finaly report what had happened . I was told get over it
YOU NEAVER GET OVER IT

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#214118 - 03/30/08 07:51 AM Re: Misconstrued Male Rape Victim Statistics [Re: OKIE MIKE]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Micheal;
Sadly your not alone friend. It took twenty-three years and a major nervous breakdown before I related my painful past.
I didn't trust my first psychiatrist. I wasn't convinced that he believed me, so I sought other help. I too am straight, and I have been told to get over it by numerous medical professionals. Just the same there are empathetic doctors, nurses, and shrinks out there. However whether your straight or gay really isn't the issue here. It's finding someone you can trust. It's something I believe a lot of complacent medical professionals and shrinks take for granted. Most doctors and nurses and even a vast number of shrinks are not trained to handle male rape victim issues. Being a rape victim "is" damned scary and embarrassing. As for "not getting over it" ?
Micheal; I'd like to think that there is light at the end of the dark tunnel. At least you and I are here at this site.
And that my friend is a start. Perhaps a small glimmer of hope on the long road to recovery; but at least its a start in understanding why we all feel the way we do.
Better days ahead my friend.
Hope to talk again.
Chris.

Edited by jcf1957 (03/30/08 07:57 AM)

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#214142 - 03/30/08 11:08 AM Re: Misconstrued Male Rape Victim Statistics [Re: jcf1957]
johnnymike Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
I am still trying to get over it. When I was raped as an adult I was very afraid to report it in my small town. My rapist called to tell me he was depressed and needed to talk with me. So I a gay man got in my car and drove to his house late at night. He was known to be straight. I feared the police would not believe it was rape since I drove to his house so late. I also feared for my safety if he was released. My rape was never reported.

When I tried to tell a friend what happened her response was "isn't that what you like"? Her thinking was well you are gay and you had sex with a man.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.