Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443345 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#213928 - 03/29/08 11:07 AM www.jimhopper.com Updated
Chester Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
I was just following a few links around (Thank you jcf) and noticed the http://www.jimhopper.com/male-ab/ page is way different than I remember. It looks really nicely updated just a few days ago, though he could have been updating it on a regular basis for a while now.

It was actually one of the only web pages I could ever find on the topic of male sex abuse. It looks like he left out the phrase that got me thinking, and it was something to the effect of "You are not the only one who has questioned your masculinity." I think I'm going to ask him to put it back! Regardless, there is a link to some newer research/articles and the uber list of books we've all come to love.

#213946 - 03/29/08 12:15 PM Re: www.jimhopper.com Updated [Re: Chester]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
"Whether the child told anyone, and if so, the person's response. Doubting, ignoring, blaming and shaming responses can be extremely damaging - in some cases even more than the abuse itself."

This is just one of those things that really stands out for me.

#214008 - 03/29/08 05:31 PM Re: www.jimhopper.com Updated [Re: Hauser]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
That jumped out at me too. "more than the abuse itself" is extremely strong language. But it rings true to me.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#214068 - 03/29/08 09:48 PM Re: www.jimhopper.com Updated [Re: LandOfShadow]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
LOS? I find it interesting that you say that. Could you elaborate on that please? (perhaps in a new thread, lest we hijack this one). I have a poignant example to tell of this in my story. Perhaps we could start a new thread and talk about this?

#214316 - 03/31/08 02:51 AM Re: www.jimhopper.com Updated [Re: Hauser]
lostcowboy Offline

Loc: North Texas
Found this long list on the page about 1/3 of the way down.

Potential Long-Term Effects of the Sexual Abuse of Males

This section lists potential, but not inevitable, lasting effects of the sexual abuse of male children. It should not be read as a "laundry list" of problems and symptoms that necessarily follow the sexual abuse of males, nor does the presence of any in males with sexual abuse histories necessarily mean the abuse is their primary cause. (See above.)

Findings on the long-term effects of child sexual abuse in males have been more consistent than those on prevalence. Methodologies for detecting problems and symptoms that could be outcomes are relatively straightforward, and many studies have utilized standardized measures that are widely accepted in the field.

First, I want to recommend a paper by David Lisak, Ph.D. This paper contains many powerful quotations from interviews with male survivors of sexual abuse. Lisak groups the quotations into themes, and discusses them with remarkable insight and compassion. The themes are:

* Anger
* Fear
* Homosexuality Issues
* Helplessness
* Isolation and Alienation
* Legitimacy
* Loss
* Masculinity Issues
* Negative Childhood Peer Relations
* Negative Schemas about People
* Negative Schemas about the Self
* Problems with Sexuality
* Self Blame/Guilt
* Shame/Humiliation

One man emailed me to share this experience: "reading [Lisak's article] was the first time I realized that other people have the same issues I have. I sat in the library and cried when I read that article. Not the usual reaction to scholarly research, but I'm sure Prof. Lisak wouldn't mind" (used with permission).

Lisak, D. (1994). The psychological impact of sexual abuse: Content analysis of interviews with male survivors [2 megabyte PDF]. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 7, 525-548.

Using standardized measures of symptoms, researchers have found that men who were sexually abused in childhood, whether or not they seek out mental health services, may suffer from:

* Anxiety
* Depression
* Dissociation
* Hostility and anger
* Impaired relationships
* Low self-esteem
* Sexual dysfunction
* Sleep disturbance
* Suicidal ideas and behavior

The following researchers have used standardized measures and found different combinations of the above symptoms:

* Bagley, Wood, & Young, 1994
* Briere, Evans, Runtz, & Wall, 1988
* Collings, 1995
* Fromuth & Burkhart, 1989
* Hunter, 1991
* Olson, 1990
* Peters & Range, 1995

Therapists working with men who were sexually abused in childhood have conducted clinical case studies and consistently reported findings on long-term problems including:

* Guilt and self-blame

Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989; Hunter, 1990.

* Low self-esteem and negative self-image

Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989.

* Problems with intimacy

Bruckner & Johnson, 1987; Dimock, 1988; Lew, 1988; Krug, 1989; Hunter, 1990.

* Sexual problems, compulsions, or dysfunctions

Bruckner & Johnson, 1987; Johnson & Shrier, 1987; Dimock, 1988; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989; Hunter, 1990.

* Substance abuse and depression

Krug, 1989.

* Symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Myers, 1989.

Some of the long-term effects of sexual abuse are related to the development of gender identity. A number of clinicians' case studies indicate that male survivors of childhood sexual abuse may experience:

* Attempts to "prove" their masculinity by having multiple female sexual partners, sexually victimizing others, and/or engaging in dangerous or violent behaviors

Bruckner & Johnson, 1987; Lew 1988.

* Confusion over their gender and sexual identities

Nasjleti, 1980; Bruckner & Johnson, 1987; Johnson & Shrier, 1987; Dimock, 1988; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989; Gilgun & Reiser, 1990.

* Sense of being inadequate as men

Dimock, 1988; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989; Pierce & Pierce, 1985.

* Sense of lost power, control, and confidence in their manhood

Myers, 1989.

Finally, some clinicians have noted that sexually abused males often experience confusion and distress about their sexuality:

* Confusion about their own sexual orientation

Nasjleti, 1980; Dimock, 1988; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989; Gilgun & Reiser, 1990.

* Fear that the sexual abuse has caused or will cause them to become homosexual

Nasjleti, 1980; Finkelhor, 1984; Dimock, 1988; Gilgun & Reiser, 1990; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989.

* Homophobia, an irrational fear or intolerance of homosexuality

Gilgun & Reiser, 1990; Lew, 1988; Myers, 1989.

take care,
Clifford

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.