Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (CheerfulJohn, Doubter, susie, ethereo222), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441783 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213897 - 03/29/08 08:56 AM Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!!
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

:-(

Edited by awakening (10/02/08 09:29 AM)

#213911 - 03/29/08 09:58 AM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: awakening]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Excellent post, Awakening, and I agree about the movie - I was dissappointed in it as well. It's like reality doesn't sell well in Hollywood, it has to be glamourized and made into something unreal.

And I REALLY, REALLY like your list of lies/truths - you nailed that one, my friend.

#213945 - 03/29/08 12:14 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: EGL]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Awakening,

As you may know, I am writing a book on the presentation of CSA in world cinema, and this is one of the two biggest problems I have come up against so far. Most films either make no effort at all to deal with the issue of therapy, or else they misrepresent, dramatize, or trivialize it in the ways you point out. Although not a film on CSA, perhaps the most dramatic example of this is Good Will Hunting, where the kid goes through a dramatic experience of admitting the (physical) abuse he suffered as a boy wasn't his fault, and then presto chango, is all fixed up and drives into the sunset (literally!) to go get the girl.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#213951 - 03/29/08 12:47 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! *DELETED* [Re: roadrunner]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#213959 - 03/29/08 01:34 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: awakening]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
I saw Sybil years ago in 1976 which was based on a true story of girl portrayed by actress Sally Field who played in the 1960's TV comedy series "The Flying Nun". Sybil was abused for years by her mother. The book portrays in more harrowing detail the tragic revulsions that this girl went through by her mother for years. Eventually she developed schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder. ("Thirteen different people")
The book and the movie are very upsetting to say the least.
At least that's how I perceived them.
I never did see "The Three Faces of Eve" nor do I really want to.

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#214004 - 03/29/08 05:05 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: jcf1957]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
I agree on Antwone Fisher. It is not a good movie.

My T summed it up as follows: "Movie directors don't consult with psychotherapists when they make movies about them."

I was so grossed out at some scenes of the therapy work in that movie.

The director, or story writer, cut several years worth of good therapy work, added to that perfect relationship building line and TADA - the guy is happy and has found the love of his life. Stupid, but not without tears in the eyes.

The good movie is "Mysterious Skin". Although I am not American, I liked how the characters were presented.

Alexey

Edited by alexey (03/29/08 05:06 PM)
(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#214006 - 03/29/08 05:20 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! *DELETED* [Re: alexey]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#214007 - 03/29/08 05:29 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: awakening]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I recently watched this movie and I guess my expectations were lower... lol. I was surprized to see as much as I did on CSA, especially a male abused by a female. I suppose that was just to avoid something homosexual... But I'm glad you are saying this. I did notice the lies, but I did wonder how the reality could have been conveyed in a movie/drauma. I'm sure there is a way though, there always is with creativity.

The reality:
I've had 4 years of therapy at a current dollar cost of about $20,000. That's major medical. And my T says I'm just getting through phase 1 of 3...

LOL. Women. It's been 30 years and I still would like to have a girlfriend, but am too afraid...

My family has never asked about the abuse, effects or anything. I'd love to talk about it, but they just don't get that something so long ago still matters.

I never told anyone in childhood about the abuse. I didn't remember some of it until my 40's.

My first real therapist was not bad with the abuse I suppose. He didn't have the huge boundary problems shown in the movie, which would probably be grounds for professional misconduct complaints.

I won't even begin to list all the effects. A whole freakin' world more than a lot of anger.

It's taken years to work on some of these effects. It's very complicated. There's a retraumatizing factor that can make talking about it just re-inforce the fears and effects. It sure isn't that simple.

Yes, just joining a team, the Navy, a church, even finding a wife doesn't in itself do a thing to help you break down the isolation effects.

Awakening, I really thank you for this post. I kind of bought all the lies here without knowing it. My reality is way different now that I really look. I thought that perhaps it's better than nothing, but why couldn't they just tell the truth? People believe the lies and it creates a bigger mess.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#214019 - 03/29/08 06:09 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: LandOfShadow]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Pozhaluysta!

Aleksey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#214025 - 03/29/08 06:26 PM Re: Antwone Fisher- the Movie, A Rant!!! [Re: alexey]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Awakening,

THANK YOU for this review. You just saved me 2 hours of my life and a ton of gas money going to rent and return the bloody thing!

Still's Globs

New Video

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.