Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447721 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#212395 - 03/22/08 11:31 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: SuperTramp7981]
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

As a child, my grandmother

In college, my english teacher

As an adult, my dad

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#212409 - 03/23/08 01:16 AM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: healing_inside]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

My Uncle Ray was a big hero of mine. He was soo cool. Him and uncle Carl. Uncle Carl had a prosthesis for his right leg. I didn't know it for years. When he was visiting he'd ask me for a hammer and a tack in the morning when he got up. I'd go get them for him and he'd hammer the tack through the sock into his leg! DAMN!!! That always got me going! \:D

I had no superhero's or anything. My folks never had a TV. They didn't get one till last summer about a week before dad passed away.

I spent my time inventing superhero's in my fertile imagination. They always came in and rescued me from the bad things that were happening to me. (sigh)

I guess I'm somewhat in the same boat as some of the other guys in that It's hard for me to come up with any hero's other than those two uncles.

Lots of love,

John

#212460 - 03/23/08 11:12 AM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: ScottyTodd]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: ScottyTodd
I don't believe I'm alone in this but I can't think of any heros as a child or a teen!

I had the same sort of experience. As an adult I realized that there where people I admired when I was a kid, but as a kid, I made sure not to rely on anyone. With hindsight, my heroes were Jacque Cousteau and the Phantom*.

Mike

* The ghost who walks.

#212465 - 03/23/08 11:28 AM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: mike5]
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
DKing, Thanks for your response! You are correct in that I am having a good childhood now. I have a friend my age who introduced me to salt water fishing and, since I absolutely love the ocean...water sports...etc. that has been a big fun time for me. Even if I don't catch anything, being around the ocean, watching the fishing trawlers pass up and down the inlet, I'm having a ball!!! Try as I might to connect with positives , my memories of any of my childhood are best avoided!

Thanks for your responses!!!!

Howard

#213755 - 03/28/08 04:24 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: dking777]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
Outside my relatives --

Age 2 to 6, Casper: He was real to my mind growing up. He was always trying to be friendly and do good to others.
Age 6 to 8 Batman: He was fighting the evil in his world - for the sake of citzens. He was hidden behind a mask which I identified with by that age. I felt there was a part of me hidden away from the rest of the world.
Age 8 to 16 Elvis: My Grandmother is the one who introduced me to the music of Elvis. She told me how the world had tried to villianize him and he overcame that. She felt that was because "God" was standing on his side. I had "pain attacks" when I was a child. The Doctors associated it with nerves. She told me the sound of Elvis's voice calmed her nerves. He introduced me to the healing power of music.
Age 16. Rolling Stones / Bowie / Elton: For the healing power of their music and walking with the dignity of being gay or bisexual.
Age 16 - Jacklyn Kennedy Onasis: For having to face the world in the aftermath of her own tragedy and doing so with grace while trying to raise her children with the fear - some villians in the world would do them harm. For sheltering them from the media and trying to give them the nurturing they needed.
Age 20 Steven Stayner: For bringing the nation's attention to a problem people had wanted to blind themselves to in the past. The outrage that followed in aftermaht of the trail for the lack of a conviction for sexual crimes against a child. When I heard he died in 1989, I went and bought a 12 pak of beer. For everyone I drank - I poured one out for him. I felt he had accomplised a great feat in this world. He has been and will always be a hero to me.
Age 24 Tina Turner: for overcoming the abuse she endured in her early life - and making a comeback -- proud and strong.
Age 26 My friend the humble musician from Aberdeen: For being there for me during an eight year period and for being a person who felt the healing power of music and the message - was far more important than the money or fame.

Some of the hero's I have had over the years.

Sincerely,
DKing

Bittersweet Symphony

#213763 - 03/28/08 05:59 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: dking777]
HurtinginMD Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cranston, RI
Childhood: Martin Luther King Jr. (still is)
Zorro, Superman, Dr. Leonard Heroo (my pastor)
and my dad (I miss him).

Teens: Mr. McNamara (my band teacher for 5 years)

Adult: My wife, my 5 year old daughter who is overcoming
her autism (she's my heart, my two sons who are my
pride. My Grandfather who was an honorable man
until his last day. Darth Vader (any guy that will
go to the dark side because of his love for his wife
is ok with me. ha ha).

#461350 - 02/23/14 07:32 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: dking777]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Old thread but I'll comment anyway as this one can't annoy anyone that I know of. First, my oldest sister, who took the beatings too. I don't know if she or anyone in my family knows about the perps on me outside of our home on me though, or if she got perped too.

Also, Walt Disney. Disneyland was a place I could and did feel safe. Now that I saw the movie "Saving Mr. Banks" and found out he's an abuse survivor too (at least verbal and physical types) makes him all the more a hero to me. May sound like a silly hero to some, but he was and still is to me.

#461431 - 02/24/14 10:30 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: GateKPR4]
randombreeze Offline

Loc: WNY
Ricky,

Your post, from the dubious music heroes to your large family raised mainly by a strong mother, could be mine.

Absent father, I was oldest of six raised by a mother that put herself through college, off of welfare and became a teacher. She died suddenly a couple years after my youngest sibling moved out. She wasn't perfect but the only thing close to a hero I've ever had. But the drugs, alcohol, and rock music I still look back on as quite possibly saving my life. Thanks for your post.

Peace & Love, Paul

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.