Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
2 registered (96789594, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441785 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#210607 - 03/14/08 03:25 AM what do u do when...?
Nate Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
what do you guys do when you're scared? i dunno what triggers it but that's how i feel now so i'm curious on how you guys cope b/c well i'd like to snap outta it.

thanks.

- Corita Kent

#210616 - 03/14/08 05:08 AM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: Nate]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Hi Nate ...

Sorry to hear your feeling that way ... its a horrible feeling, but I guess it all depends on what you're feeling scared about as to how to tackle it.

If it's something tangible I try to rationalize my way out of it - what am I scared of, why am I scared, how can I overcome it - The other day I wrote a post here, it contained some stuff that scared the bejesus out of me, so after letting it fester into a full on panic attack, I edited the post and everything back to normal.

If it's something less tangible I try to change my mindset, read a book (guaranteed to put me to sleep in 30 sec. LOL), go for a walk, watch a movie or play a game - anything that I can lose myself in. Its amazing how fast that feeling dissipates when you're do something you enjoy doing.

and sometimes I get really mad at myself for being scared of things and rush head long into what ever is scaring me.

I am scared of heights - so I went bungy jumping LOL Still scared of heights but I now know what it feels like to fall, and its exhilarating \:\)
I am scared of snakes - so I went to the petting zoo and got them to wrap a python around my neck - what the heck was I thinking !!! get this f*ing thing off me !!!
Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't LOL

Hope you are feeling some relief soon \:\)

Edited by arronb (03/14/08 08:50 AM)

#210642 - 03/14/08 08:58 AM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: arronb]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Nate,
Is there anything in your house that you can get the makes you feel safe? Something you can carry with you? For me sometimes it is just a blanket or stuffed animal. It coud be anything but check around. Also if you have a good friend you can call them. Glad your here. Being here helps me too.

#210657 - 03/14/08 10:20 AM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: Freedom49]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I'm grateful not to have experienced this in a while, but when I've felt irrationally afraid (it usually happened when I would be alone at night), turning on as many lights as possible as well as the TV and radio helped reduce the sense of being alone and vulnerable.

Calling a friend is a good idea, but when I would get scared I would also be feeling isolated and breaking out of that shell to interact with other people would require a great deal of courage and energy.

Kind of ironic: I felt scared because I felt vulnerable because I felt alone, but I was also to lethargic and scared and inert to reach out to other people so as not to be alone. I could only create the simulacrum of company by artificial noise.

#211780 - 03/19/08 10:36 PM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: VLinvictus]
cat lover Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, Colorado
When I'm scared, I try to be intentional about self-care activities and things which nuture me. For me, that can include cycling, journaling, cooking, having a bite to eat with a friend or a phone call. Sometimes it can be taking a hot bath and reading a book in the club. Sometimes it can be a prayer or meditation book.

#212637 - 03/23/08 11:18 PM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: cat lover]
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I get scared often, especially lately. I woke up last night in a horrible state after an incredibly terrifying nightmare that I think was a bit of repressed feeling from an event that happened when I was 5 years old and don't remember. All I can really say I do/did to cope with it was to tell myself it will pass, it will pass, It can't last that long......on and on.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#212641 - 03/23/08 11:46 PM Re: what do u do when...? [Re: SuperTramp7981]
simonsurvives Offline

Loc: California, Fresno
When I get scared I notice that I am acting on survival instincts. With that in mind I know that it is very hard for me to think about what is going on in my head if I am in this mode of thought. Realizing your surroundings in the best thing that I do. Where am I at this moment physically. Am I in my room. What color are the walls. How far is the door from me. Where is the light from me. This gives me perception on my reality and not the trigger in my head. Once I calm down and realizing my surroundings and try and process best the trigger that occurred. If I can't I try and step away from the situation, but know that I have to come back because the feelings won't change unless I work with my mind not against it. I hope some of our posts helps you. Good luck. \:\)
Simon

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.