Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (Dave PNW, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447940 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#212435 - 03/23/08 07:55 AM The Cure
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
I recently ran across a web site which mentioned the death of child star Brad Renfro. He starred in two of my favorite movies. The Client and Apt Pupil. I read about his struggle with drugs and alchohol -- and it just made me question his troubles. We all have our inner demons.

I went browsing for other movies he has been involved in. I found a movie he made shortly after he starred in "The Client" titled "The Cure." I read the reviews on Netflix and everyone said it was the type of movie that made grown men cry. I accepted that as a challenge. The synoposis of the movie didn't really appeal to me. I was recalling my CSA and didn't think anything could make me cry. I have cried myself out recalling my own life story.

The theme doesn't involve CSA but it does touch on an abusive Mother. I don't know if that is what triggered me - but I broke down like a baby at the end of the movie. I felt a relief in a way. I felt I needed a good cry to cleanse my own system. To feel human again and have a story touch my heart in a way that gave me a sense of mourning - not only for the theme - but for something I felt I lost in my own childhood.

It is about two friends around the age of 12. One of them has contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion. It is set in the time when this lead to an early demise. The boys form a friendship and go off looking for a cure.

It touched on the memory that when I was young - I was afraid to talk about my abuse - because some viewed it as a "deadly disease" I had contracted -- even before AIDS was an issue.

The movie touches on that sort of prejudice and how the boys faced it with dignity and courage.

I felt Brad's acting this movie was just as good as it was in The Client.
Netflix Reviews - The Cure
IMDb -- The Cure

It was a feel good movie with a tear jerking ending.

Sincerely,
DKing

Bittersweet Symphony

#212442 - 03/23/08 09:41 AM Re: The Cure [Re: dking777]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Brad's death is one more piece of evidence that the movie and TV industry will use-up a kid and just dump him/her when the cute or the youth wears off...or if they become victim to the drug and alcohol culture that surrounds them. It seems that if they have no family or someone close who cares about them, they never get the help they need to survive it all. I hate that (and other things) about Hollywood.

#212456 - 03/23/08 10:58 AM Re: The Cure [Re: Still]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Robbie Brown
Brad's death is one more piece of evidence that the movie and TV industry will use-up a kid and just dump him/her when the cute or the youth wears off...or if they become victim to the drug and alcohol culture that surrounds them. It seems that if they have no family or someone close who cares about them, they never get the help they need to survive it all. I hate that (and other things) about Hollywood.

When I read the star of "The Client" had died -- I got that impression myself.

Edited by dking777 (10/25/09 01:31 AM)

Bittersweet Symphony

#212462 - 03/23/08 11:25 AM Re: The Cure [Re: dking777]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Cool....sad still....I stand corrected and Brad's death properly positioned.

#212495 - 03/23/08 01:38 PM Re: The Cure [Re: Still]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
i for one, was really hurt that brad died. he was my frist hollywood crush. i fell in love with him after i saw the client (dont judge me for loving a man in a mullet. haha.) i even went out and bought the book "the client" and it still is one of my favorites.

i saw the cure a number of years ago, and was also brought to tears. like just gushing. so i hear you on that. it is a heartfelt movie and you're right, there is a whole connection with csa. the feeling of childhood and loss. and just how strong the a child spirit is.

#212513 - 03/23/08 03:35 PM Re: The Cure [Re: Jarrad]
youthfulheart62 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey(exit3)
i think their should have been some intervention..I cant imagine going to work for X amount of time using drugs and not being noticed.

Julian

Edited by youthfulheart62 (03/23/08 03:36 PM)

#212519 - 03/23/08 03:52 PM Re: The Cure [Re: youthfulheart62]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
I too remember renting the cure. I was out of town and alone still struggling. I cried like a kid at the end. Even though I knew it was coming it still got me bad. I am saddened by his death so young.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.