Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
7 registered (bcl092, Obi, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63574 Topics
444163 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212068 - 03/21/08 07:08 AM Can women join?
Kiota Offline
New Here

I'm female but I'm also a survivor of abuse and an advocate for all victims of abuse, male or female. I'm in college studying to become a social worker. I've worked as a peer counselor online for the past four years and I'd really like to offer help and support to guys as well, but I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or anything like that, if this forum is generally men-only.

#212091 - 03/21/08 09:09 AM Re: Can women join? [Re: Kiota]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

There are women who are members here, although they are usually partners of male survivors. There are certain forums that requested that ladies do not post in (like the primery Male Survivors forum). If you become paying member, again, there is some forums that ladies are allowed, and some not. It is very nice that you are wanting to offer support. Not to be rude, but I would just hope that you do not join here, if you do, to focus onto your own issues. If that is the situation, there is many, many groups and forums available for female abuse survivors. There is very little open to men. I do not say that is your desire here, I just wished to comment that. Thank you to not think badly on it.

Andrei

#212134 - 03/21/08 02:44 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: ak]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hi Kiota,

This is a site primarily for men, but like Andrei said, women are welcomed here as family/friends who are supporting the male survivor in their life. We do have professionals here who are members of the Malesurvivor organization as a whole. Some of them are active on the website and others are involved in different aspects of the organization. If you are interested in using this site as a professional/scholastic resource, you would need to seek permission to post inquiries. I'll get the information as to who you need to contact and pm you; feel free to pm me with any questions you may have as well.

Trish

#212159 - 03/21/08 06:24 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: Trish4850]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
I've PMed you the address of a site that is a lot like this one, but is 98% female in membership and perspective.

Its a VERY good site.

(edit)I would not feel uncomfortable with you being here BTW.

Edited by Robbie Brown (03/23/08 07:43 PM)

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#212163 - 03/21/08 06:56 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: Still]
Kiota Offline
New Here

I am already a member of that site. I'm not here for my own issues.

I'm not a partner or a relative or anything of a male survivor, though... just a random girl who would like to help guys who were abused as well as girls.

#212167 - 03/21/08 07:06 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: Kiota]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Kiota,

It's a bit of an odd situation, but you're certainly welcome. This is a supportive community. Anything you can gain and give would be welcomed.

Trish

#212270 - 03/22/08 12:16 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: Kiota]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Hi Kiota;
Welcome to this site. Some men might feel uncomfortable talking to a woman on personal issues, and I have to respect that. However; I'm not one of them and I've seen other men on the chat-line who would welcome a woman's point of view. My present psychologist is female who was once a social worker who worked specifically with rape victims. Not surprising though, in the last five years I happen to be the only male rape victim in my city, who has officially come forward to speak about my agonising past at the local provincial mental health clinic. Hell; there's not even an official Rape Crisis Centre for women in my city of 150,000. I doubly doubt there will ever be a Rape Crisis Centre for men in my life time.
Well enough about me rambling on. Just wanted to say your very welcome to be here. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing from you in the Post's and Chat line in the future. Have a great day.

Edited by jcf1957 (03/22/08 12:32 PM)

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#212392 - 03/22/08 11:24 PM Re: Can women join? [Re: jcf1957]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
Kiota,

Speaking only on behalf of myself, I'd like to say welcome. I think that you're desire to connect and help is at it's heart, completely healthy and honorable.

I would personally request on thing from you. Please don't post in any of the clearly designated male-only groups. If you feel the need to reach out, send a PM to that person. There are a lot of us who would find ourselves less willing to be as candid as we might be in those forums if we knew that were were addressing mixed company.

That one request aside, there are so many places that you can offer your support and insight. The chat room, the F&F forum, sending supportive PM's, and many of the other forums that are open to general discussion (Spirituality, Off-topic, health and well-being, to name a few).

Welcome and thanks.

Chris

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#212422 - 03/23/08 02:48 AM Re: Can women join? [Re: Kiota]
Kiota Offline
New Here

Wouldn't PMing someone in response to something they posted on the male-only boards defeat the purpose though?

#212561 - 03/23/08 07:06 PM Re: Can women join? *DELETED* [Re: Kiota]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.