Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443285 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#212158 - 03/21/08 06:16 PM Hero's in Childhood?
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
In the last few months – when the painful memories come back of childhood, I have been trying to combat them by “counting my blessings.”

My Dad once advised me that in this world – you had to take the good that came to us – as well as the bad that came to – and it was up to us to make the best of it.

A part of my strategy has been looking back on my childhood, (for the first time in many years,) and looking at the people I consider my hero’s. Those who instilled in my positive values – that in hindsight, I now feel paid off – because it helped make me a better man.

So I thought I would share a question with the others here and ask who was your hero in childhood and why? Fictional or real life? Father, Brother, Sister, Mother, Aunt, Uncle, Cousin, Friend, Teacher, Counselor, Probation Officer, Police Officer, -- Mayor, or any person who came into your life and touched you in a way you never forgot.

Who inspired you during your days of turbulence and hardship….. and why?

Mine were my Dad and my Junior High Football Coach.

I will share the why in a later reply.

Sincerely,
DKing

Bittersweet Symphony

#212160 - 03/21/08 06:24 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: dking777]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Great question!

Childhood: HE-MAN! Master of the Universe! Woo!!

Teen: Mrs. Valdez, one of my teachers all 3 years of high school, who really helped me.

Adult: All YOU guys. \:\)

#212161 - 03/21/08 06:34 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: AndyJB2005]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
-I had my Uncle Earl. He was just like John Wayne. He was a nuke sub COB and ran river speed boats in Nam. He was bigger than life...but spent very little time with him throughout my life. He was either fighting in a war or sitting under the polar ice cap playing cat & mouse with the USSR subs. He tried to get me to spend a summer onboard a US Navy Ship as a civilian teen. My mother would not allow it.

-The 1968 RedSox

- David Bowie (seriously)

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#212162 - 03/21/08 06:45 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: Still]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
hmmmmmm
Childhood my mom. She wasn't a whole lof of help but she did what she could to make me a better person. I always hated it when she said I disappointed her.

teen CS Lewis. Fank Herbert, Issac Asimov.

Adult. Mr. Spock

#212166 - 03/21/08 07:04 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: Freedom49]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Oh I forgot to mention my other hero....HOMER SIMPSON! \:\)

#212172 - 03/21/08 07:17 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: AndyJB2005]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
My real uncle Percy
He had a goatee, wore an ascot & beret, took me fishing on his boat & told me I had the hands of a doctor

Brainiac 5
I mentioned my "fascination" with super heroes & comicbook characters earlier
He was green & had dials on his head

Bam Bam
I liked his vocabulary & his strength

Astro the dog in the Jetsons
rye riked ris rocabruary roo

#212182 - 03/21/08 08:59 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: ineffable]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i've thought a lot about people in my childhood

how some adults wanted to be my friend and were kind to me and i find it hard to understand why, so my childhood heroes are the people that for absolutely no reason were kind to me

an old guy- in school, he used to wait for his grandson to come to the gates, but he also used to wait for me, and he would give me a penguin chocolate bar, almost every day, he didn't used to give his grandson one as far as i know, why did he do this, i'll never know

the milk man- he was the tallest guy i had ever known (he had to bend his head to come into our house), i don't know why he always felt compelled to give me things, but he must have spent a lot of money on me in all, he used to give me a 50 pence piece, almost always, i never understood why, and he also used to give me sweets, and if i saw him in the street he would give me sweets, he was cool

the shop keeper- when my grandfather died, and i was never in a rush to go home (especially near stressful times like christmas), i started just going to the shops for a bit instead of going straight home, there was an old shop keeper, and i used to talk to him about my day, he didn't seem to mind, and he bought me a birthday card, he didn't have to be kind, they told me he went home to his country, i think he died, i kept asking if he was coming back but he never did come back

school caretaker- he always used to speak to me, he was like a heroe to me, one of those guys who was a real man, and he used to mess up my hair and tell me that i was special (not in a weird way) and i think he really saw something in me, he didn't have to speak to me

i think those people are as good as any heroes,

and of course, that's all of you guys included!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#212190 - 03/21/08 09:10 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: ineffable]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Helen Keller - she was able to overcome so many difficulties and obstacles.... I decided to become a speech-language therapist at the age of 6 or 7... this is my 20th year in the profession

My mother... was and is the coolest person - beautiful, smart, caring, compassionate -

My grandmother - she was a brilliant surgical nurse who would talk science with me for hours and hours and hours... gory stuff and brainsurgery stuff... I LOVED her! She was a raging alcoholic, and I never knew!

Mrs. Pyle, my 4th grade teacher.

Pony Boy from "The Outsiders" (book NOT movie!)

Scout from "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Agua Man - he was too cool and i wanted to be a speech-pathologist AND a marine Bioligst AND a surgeon for a time there... and he swam with all the coolest animals!

Dan

Marge Simpson

#212195 - 03/21/08 09:36 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? [Re: dannym]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
also, Madmartigan (swordsman-played by val kilmer) in the film Willow, brilliant film!

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#212196 - 03/21/08 09:49 PM Re: Hero's in Childhood? *DELETED* [Re: king tut]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.