Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Obi, 1 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64015 Topics
446761 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#211866 - 03/20/08 11:24 AM New law in St. Louis... it's a start...
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
OK...

Maybe this is a start. I agree with the pricipal of this new law, but I also feel it is going to be very hard to enforce.

So right here in river city, we have convicted child molesters opening business's that cater to children. I have to say I am very concerned that these "monsters" could have access to children again.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/st...F5?OpenDocument

Please share your thoughts.

Luv ya,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#211880 - 03/20/08 01:12 PM Re: New law in St. Louis... it's a start... [Re: Scoutvictim]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Geez Carl I would think this would be common sense. You don't turn the wolves loose in the pen with the sheep. You know what will happen so you keep them away from the sheep. If they try to sneak back in ......you shoot them. Simple, effective and saves a lot of money.

Just my opinion.

#211901 - 03/20/08 03:22 PM Re: New law in St. Louis... it's a start... [Re: Freedom49]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Roger,

I have to agree, but as a small businessman, I can see the point of the lawyer who said "how do we choose what business would be allowed."

It is a fine line, and I also think a person needs to be able to earn a living.

I really don't have any answers, just wanting opinions.

Thanks, and believe me, shooting them has come to mind.

Luv ya,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#211919 - 03/20/08 05:22 PM Re: New law in St. Louis... it's a start... [Re: Scoutvictim]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: Scoutvictim

Thanks, and believe me, shooting them has come to mind.

I thought we were gonna drop that type of hyperbole?

#211949 - 03/20/08 07:46 PM Re: New law in St. Louis... it's a start... [Re: Still]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Yeah, the problem I have with the "shoot 'em" talk, is, that there is no responsibility in it for all us perfect, blameless choosen ones. It just isn't that simple. And it won't work. The abusers were 80% abused themselves, which sort of complicates it enormously for me. That other 20%, I just don't have a clue about, but this kind of solution isn't going to protect kids.

A 16 year old just recently killed another boy with a knife here, and the calls for vengence ring out.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#211954 - 03/20/08 08:14 PM Re: New law in St. Louis... it's a start... [Re: LandOfShadow]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
The problem that arises here is that lawmakers, journalists, and public commentators like ourselves usually speak from emotion, not from informed experience or expertise.

The fact of the matter is that perps who have been through offender-specific therapy usually do not return to their crimes. And even if they do, restrictions like this have no strategic effect on them. Over 90% of CSA, for example, occurs with people the child knows and trusts, and of that, the majority occurs in places the child knows and where he feels comfortable: home, relatives' home, camp, church, etc.

A perp who opens a pottery shop is doing something self-affirming that will help keep him from re-offending. Hounding him in this way will simply set him up for another possible fall. Who gains from that? Setting up a candy shop, a video game arcade or a kids clothing store, of course, would be another matter entirely.

I have said this before and will repeat it here. Knee-jerk measures that aren't based on any knowledge of the real nature of the problem are palliative only. That is, they make us feel like at last we are "doing something". And for the politicos, who should know better, this is a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle than doing things like setting up offender therapy programs, child-education, and public awareness campaigns.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.