Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (don64, Obi, 2 invisible), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442131 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211865 - 03/20/08 11:21 AM what was it in me?
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
this morning I got a phone call from a social worker who's also a family friend, who was one of the people around back when i was 15 during the time of my bullying and abuse (she was involved in finally taking me out of school). Talking to her and rereading what I wrote in the litle me thread about my passed self, I have to wonder why me!

Even compared to other kids who went to that school it seemed I got singled out, ---- especially in the matter of abuse. what was it about me? What made otherswant to single me out and humiliate me?

thinking about myself, about how I read open university books on physics, went to theology lectures and was invited to seminars on the holocaust with an age range of 18 to 20 (which I found at eleven both fascinating and deeply moving), I have to wonder was I an arrogant litle sod?

I never found work at school hard and always got top marks (I was the only person in my entire year to take the A-C grade GCSE science paper), was I just showing off?

I was constantly told during my Abuse "You think your better than us, but your not" did I really think that?

All I remember was being afraid, but did I really act in such a superior way?

was it my physical appearence? was it the way I spoke (during the abuse I was always told not to be so ****ing posh).

What was it about me that made me such a targit. Was I really such a superior litle bastard? Could i have just changed myself and stopped the abuse? What was wrong with me!

#211867 - 03/20/08 11:59 AM Re: what was it in me? [Re: dark empathy]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
There seems to be a number of us here who have a history of "very bright, but lacking common sense" readings by others...
It helps to remember that abusers seek out the vulnerable; and never EVER has it been our responsibility, no matter how we may or may not have conducted ourselves. Does it honestly make sense to believe that anything we may have done or said legitimizes the actions of our abusers? There is a deep-seated urge to rationalize what happened, to have it make sense somehow- and very often the first place a young mind turns to (often assisted by the abuser's tactics) is "i brought it on myself"... erasing this notion can be very difficult, but absolutely essential.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#211895 - 03/20/08 02:28 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: dgoods]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
The school was in a really bad area, drugs, gun crime (I several times saw knives pulled on teachers). I don't remember consciously boasting, I'd never say "I was reading about the theory of relativity last night" or any such thing, but so often those who abused and hurt me told me I was being posh, or smart, or a teacher's pet getting all the answers right.

I don't remember consciously trying to show off, ----- that would've drawn attention to me and thus more abuse, in fact when not in class I tended to stay quiet and out of the way as much as I could, was this really i was.

I also realize how boastful the above post sounds about my eleven year old self. I'm really sorry, and I appologise to everyone if this sounds arrogant, I'm just trying to understand what about me was so offensive and caused such hatred in others that they would want to hurt and humiliate me so much.

#211914 - 03/20/08 04:42 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: dark empathy]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
d e,

Please don't blame yourself for what was done to you by others. Yes, you were probably different from them, you were inquisitive, you were intelligent and you were well spoken. Those are not reasons for anyone to abuse you. I think sometimes people think that when they feel someone is superior in some way, it's much easier to bring that person down than to raise themselves up. It's sad but I've seen it too often in this world.

You did nothing to encourage their bad actions. If you had changed it would have been more fodder for them and they would have found some other self-fullfilling reason to abuse you. It was not your fault.

Take good care of yourself,

Steve

#211921 - 03/20/08 05:50 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: Stephen_5]
ericc Offline
MaleSurvivor

DE,

I have had some of the same questions about some of my experiences. I was very bright as a child. I always loved to learn and enjoyed school and intellectual challenges and just always wanted to know how things worked or why things were the way they were. I wouldn't say I was singly more advanced in this than everyone, but I did fall on the high end of the spectrum in all my testings in school (at least when I was younger). I do not ever remember holding this above anyone's head, or using it to make me feel superior to others (again, best I can remember). I just really enjoyed learning.

Between the 5th and 6th grades I moved to a new neighborhood and was shortly singled out to be made to feel like a piece of crap. On an emotional level, I was somewhat sensitive (and this isn't a bad thing) and I think I took it pretty hard. I know most of why this happened actually had nothing to do with me, but I took the brunt of the blame for a situation that 100% didn't involve me one way or the other. It just seemed to grow from there. Also, and I am still working on trying to figure this out, but I think the emotional space within my family got difficult around this time (and maybe even a little before), but I am not certain what happened there, I just know there were a lot of changes in family dynamics. Sometime in 8th grade I was abused by a peer. I have no idea what drove his need for him to want so badly what he wanted, and to drive his insistence that he got it. I sometimes wonder if the fact that my self-esteem had not taken such a hit the years previous from so much garbage if this may have been more preventable and I could of stood my ground more so than I did (not that I didn't try and stand my ground, it just didn't work in the end). Tough question.

So, as related to what you speak of here, I have previously wondered if I had rubbed people in a way that they wanted to see me fall (was I arrogant, self-centered, and so on; yet never realized it?). I never wanted to hurt anyone, or had any ill will toward others on such a level, so it was hard to see why I had all this coming to me. Yet I sometimes wonder if I wasn't as good of a person as I want to remember myself as; I certainly had my faults. You are not alone in having such feelings, but I think what the other guys are saying here makes a lot of sense. And in no way or circumstance would you have deserved these types of things to happen to you. Sounds to me like you were just fine, and the problems stemmed from those that abused you. I am starting to think it is normal to try and ask why this may have happened to us. What did we do to bring it on? I think the most logical and truthful answer is, nothing. It turns out to be just another unnecessary crappy life circumstance that didn't need to be, and that is not your fault here.

Sorry to cut in on your thread, but I really needed to get this out because I have thought about this stuff before and it really seemed to hit home in regards to similar question I have had myself. Thanks for the post.

Eric

#211924 - 03/20/08 05:57 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: ericc]
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I don't really know what it was. The first time (I think) something happened to me, I don't think it was for any reason other then oppurtunity.

Later on.... I wasn't really exceptional in any areas, kind of just average. I certainly wasn't "the" popular kid. But I wasn't the extreme on the other end, but I was leaning "unpopular loser type" I didn't do good in school to the end of high school, and I wasn't exceptional at sports ever. I don't say I deserved or "brought it on myself" What I think is that I could have easily stopped it right when it started.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#211937 - 03/20/08 06:59 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: SuperTramp7981]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
DE,

I guess it's natural to ask these "why me?" questions - we all seem to do it at one point or another. But It's so important to keep our focus on the abusers and not on ourselves. What do I mean by that?

Take your question and turn it into something like this: "Why did the abuser(s) come after me?" Keep yourself focused on the fact that the abuse was THEIR crime, not your failing. Basically, predators zero in on boys who are vulnerable in some way. The boy may be shy, emotionally neglected at home, starved for affection, or isolated by health problems. Or he may be vulnerable because the absuer has immense power over him (parent, older sibling, priest, babysitter, youth group leader).

But being vulnerable just means the boy was a child. There is no fault or blame in needing support and protection. This is why abuse is ALWAYS the abuser's fault 100%.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#211938 - 03/20/08 07:10 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: SuperTramp7981]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
SuperTramp,

Originally Posted By: SuperTramp7981
I don't say I deserved or "brought it on myself" What I think is that I could have easily stopped it right when it started.

This kind of thinking is very common among survivors and I'd like to get you to look at this again, if I may. If I recall your survivor story correctly, this refers to incidents in the school band, when you were groped and fondled by an adult teacher.

I can easily see how you would think that you "could have easily stopped it right when it started". This is how things look to you now, at the age of 19. If someone tried that with you now you could probably hand him his teeth! But back then you were in 4th grade. What could you have done? Shouted at him and exposed what was happening to all the other kids in the school band? What words would you have used at the age of 9 or 10? What resources did you have that would have enabled you to speak up?

I have always found that it's really important to avoid judging ourselves as boys based on what we now know or think. As little boys, we just didn't see the choices or options that seem so obvious to us now. And when a boy doesn't know he has a choice or an option, then for all intents and purposes that choice doesn't exist for him.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#211972 - 03/20/08 09:18 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: roadrunner]
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I can see what your saying, and hindsight is 20/20 I know that, but looking back it was just SO easy to do something. I know I shouldn't beat myself up about it, but that's just me and my personality, I think about would've/could've/should've way to much

I just think I could have gone home whenever it started (late 6th grade I think)and been like "dad mr.____ touched me at school" I know logically I wouldn't have done that, it would have been too hard to do among other reasons, but I just think how much different and easier my life and screwed up head would have been in exchange for whatever discomfort would have come from that.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just thinking out loud.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#211983 - 03/20/08 10:02 PM Re: what was it in me? [Re: SuperTramp7981]
johnnymike Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
I also experienced bullying in school. I moved to a new town in the third grade and never quite fit in as one of them. I always felt years ahead of them and got along better with teachers. I do not know if I matured sooner due to abuse but I was different than my peers. They noticed the difference of course. They struck out at the differences. Having been abused by my father I knew to duck and cover. This technique at school of course did not work out well. My lowest point was when I thought if all these people thought ill of me could the majority be wrong.

Now I know it is not about us. I was devestated when I walked into school to see my name had been added to the list of candidates for prom queen. Many years later I am curious to know how many votes I received. Time does heal all wounds and I am sorry you also share them. I am at the point where I can be bulleyed no longer.

Being different is no reason to be mistreated. Having different interests is no reason. There is nothing about you that should cause someone to want to mistreat you. If someone mistreats you it is something within them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.