Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, Nothing Man, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447704 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211712 - 03/19/08 03:27 PM I'm Biking!! :-O
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
So today I bought a bike -- mountain bike, to be more specific, at Target. 21 speeds! I think that's a good thing (?) LOL

It has been a goal of mine to do more biking instead of riding the bus as soon as it got warm enough, and not icy. Since my work is only 2.7 miles from my house (I'm so anal, I mapquested the distances. LOL) -- and pretty much everything else I go to, except my Saturday meeting, is even closer, I thought it seemed reasonable.

I want to do it for my health mostly -- and possibly to lose some weight. I'm not that big, but I don't enjoy how I look in the mirror or in pictures, etc, and if I'm honest I am over weight. My body has been on my mind a lot lately, and I don't like it. I don't think exercise would hurt my depression either.

So a little is vanity and a little is good health. LOL

So I rode the bike home from Target -- which is 1.3 miles. I tell ya, I'm a lot more out of shape than I imagined. I was pretty winded just going that far, and I felt that pain in my side that I haven't felt since high school gym class. LOL

I guess I'll just have to work through it and get use to it. I'm sure as I do it more, I'll more accustomed to biking. But I felt like a total ...dork...when I was stopping about half way. lol. Since it's been about 5 or 6 years since I've done any real exercising, I can't really beat myself up too much.

I'm really excited about this though. I have a lot of drive and motivation so far. It's unusual for me to be this motivated in the exercise department, so I must really want it.

Wish me luck! Any advice on biking is welcomed! I'm such a newbie! LOL

#211717 - 03/19/08 03:55 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: AndyJB2005]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
HAVE FUN! But don't try to jump a curb like the young kids who make it look sooooooooooooo easy or you'll find yourself on your ass. How do I know that? 'cause I forgot I wasn't 14! *ouch* Other than that, riding is fun, fun, fun!

ROCK ON.........Trish

#211720 - 03/19/08 04:16 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: Trish4850]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Good for you Andy! With gas closing in on $4, it has benefits besides health and mood adjustment. I think I might follow your lead and pull the bike down from the garage attic.

dan

#211721 - 03/19/08 04:22 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: DanM]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Hi Andy. VERY Cool. You might find that whatever brand you bought is rather flimsy and breaks easily. For instance, plastic pedals, easily broken sprockets, etc.

Just remember this isn't that dirt bike that you had as a kid, one good bump, and there goes your tire, and the rim! LOL

I rode my bike to my local downtown college campus, and I found that it was actually FASTER than driving a car because I didn't have to wait for traffic or find a parking place!

Bikes are very nice to have.

#211724 - 03/19/08 04:41 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: Hauser]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
This sounds great! Congrats...!

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#211725 - 03/19/08 04:43 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: Trish4850]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Hey cool Andy! Check out all the trails in the metro. And I've taken my bike on the light rail easily. The last station is about the same distance as Target.

Here are are the trail maps: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/bicycles/where-to-ride.asp

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#211792 - 03/19/08 11:18 PM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: LandOfShadow]
KeithR Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
GOOD LUCK, Andy. AND good Idea. \:\)

Be safe on the bike

Keith

Edited by KeithR (03/19/08 11:19 PM)

#211821 - 03/20/08 01:45 AM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: KeithR]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
I am glad, Andy.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#211843 - 03/20/08 08:50 AM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O *DELETED* [Re: alexey]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#211844 - 03/20/08 08:55 AM Re: I'm Biking!! :-O [Re: awakening]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Great Andy,
I was an avid biker for years until I almost got hit by a car. then I started walking because we did not have bike paths to go on and we only had 10 speeds. I would love to start again but until they provide a safe place to go I'm not going to start again. I hope you have a good time. OF course you will be sore for a few days but it will pass. \:\)

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.