Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (Shyshark, don64, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447937 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#211346 - 03/17/08 09:05 PM Will I ever find "the one"
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I feel like I'll never find someone special, In particular someone who likes ME for ME. I'm to nervous to join any of the GLBT Groups at school so so that cancels that out. Gay bars and clubs are definitely NOT my scene. I'm not a stereotype, I don't have a lisp and act feminine (i enjoy some "non-manly" things though) And I'm not looking for a stereotype, I'm looking for someone to just spend time with, be honest with, to enjoy life with. Is it ever possible to find such a person? It doesn't seem like it will ever happen.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#211348 - 03/17/08 09:21 PM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: SuperTramp7981]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
relax. he's out there. you are still in school? that's part of the problem. a lot of guys aren't really "looking" for "the one" in high school or college. focus on finishing and getting out into the real world. then, i swear... all the hot men of your dreams start coming out of the woodwork. it's weird. like everywhere you go you see gay guys.

#211355 - 03/17/08 09:53 PM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: Jarrad]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Jarrad's got a point. I waited a long time to pursure my life. Once I did and as I started to become comfortable with socializing as 'who I am', they were and are all around
'coming out of the woodwork.' Wherever I have gone. You'll find 'one' and even 'the one!' We're everywhere :)!

peace - Mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#211388 - 03/18/08 12:43 AM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: markgreyblue]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Is there such a thing as "the one?" The one person who understands you totally and unquestionably? I'm not sure. I think it may be a product of romantic comedies and Halmark.

I think all relationships take work and a little give and take on both ends. I think it's working through the differences in each other that makes the relationship special. *shrug*

BTW, I loved "Into the Wild," (i.e. -- Christopher McCandless, Supertramp, et al). It's one of my many Bibles. LOL \:\)

#211431 - 03/18/08 09:37 AM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: AndyJB2005]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I don't believe there is a "the one" or "soulmate" or "true love" -- that would imply that human beings are static and frozen and do not change or evolve so that the "one perfect person" is always the bashert or destinied partner no matter what a person may experience in life.

There is no "Mr. Right" -- but there are probably many "Mr. Right-For-Now" (as opposed to "Mr. Right Now"). Rather than focusing on some elusive goal of "the one" it's much better, IMO, to be appreciative of whom you have in your life at the present, because the present is all we really can count on.

#211458 - 03/18/08 12:05 PM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: VLinvictus]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
ST,

When I was in college a gay friend of mine had a problem that sounds similar to yours. He could easily find guys who wanted sex, but no one who seemed willing to see him as anything other than that sort of opportunity. We talked about it, and it turns out he was looking in the wrong places: gay bars, baths, saunas, and so on. I suggested he check out the gay students' organization on campus and that opened up all kinds of opportunities for him. Don't be afraid to call them and say "I'm real nervous about this". They will understand; they've ALL been there.

I am not gay, but I want to comment on your idea of finding "the one" and connecting that to the idea of finding someone who will appreciate you just as YOU. Those two things are different. You are 19, bro. You have a whole LOT of life ahead of you, and I would not be worrying right now about whether or not you will find someone to spend your life with. Finding people who will accept you and care for you just as you are, however, is something else. We all need that, regardless of our sexual orientation, and remember that you don't need to reward friendship with sex. Many survivors, teens and adults, fall into that trap.

You are special and important just as you are, and without any sexual attachments or connections. There are plenty of people out there who will be willing to accept you on that basis - including, to begin with, friends you make here.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#211475 - 03/18/08 12:43 PM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: roadrunner]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Larry has a lot of good points (as usual!)

Let my story be a cautionary tale: I thought I had found "the one" because I was still emotionally a child and needed someone to replicate my abusive relationship with my father because I was terrified of being alone.

So I jumped into a "committed relationship" at the age of 20, which I now regret with every fiber of my being and wish to God or Whomever is there to release me from it.

Don't make the mistake I did!

Dan

#211626 - 03/19/08 05:42 AM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: SuperTramp7981]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
deleted

Edited by dking777 (10/25/09 01:34 AM)

#211627 - 03/19/08 05:43 AM Re: Will I ever find "the one" [Re: SuperTramp7981]
dking777 Offline

Loc: CA
deleted

Edited by dking777 (10/25/09 01:33 AM)

Bittersweet Symphony

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.