Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
2 registered (Banjo596, 1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447593 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211208 - 03/17/08 03:50 AM Bedtime Rules for little children
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Bedtime Rules for little children (and big children who just can't remember)

okay so i was hoping that people could add to a list or share their experiences about getting a good nights sleep- i seem to be talking about sleep quite alot on this site so i thought it's about time that i do this

i seem to be neglecting the most basic things- that's how far my sleep pattern is messed up- i try to justify my weird sleeping pattern by telling people that the morning is just an approximation- that way i don't feel so odd walking around the house at 4am! and rule number 3 was one thing that i noticed when i woke up today lol

1) Routine and Consistency!
2) Change out of your clothes
3) Take your shoes off!
4) hug your dog/teddies if you must- that is okay
5) we're usually told to grow out of night-lights, but night-lights are better than nightmares!
6) Reverse psychology alarm clock? just a thought lol- the only time i feel like i can get to sleep is when my alarm clock prompts me to wake up

what do people do to prepare for bed? i don't remember anymore

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#211212 - 03/17/08 06:11 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

i have one of those sleep machines- they give you a choice of different sounds-----light rainng-----waterfall-----heartbeat-------ect---------helps me calm my mind when it is racing-------steve

#211220 - 03/17/08 07:03 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: sabata]
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
Try melatonin, it is a natural hormone that tells your brain it is time for bed. It has worked for my 8 yr old son and I.

I heard some where too, to make sure you dim the lights in the evening, the dark is what triggers the natural release of melatonin

Hope this helps.
David

Edited by des6263 (03/17/08 07:04 AM)

#211221 - 03/17/08 07:04 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: sabata]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Take a warm bath or shower before you go to bed

go to bed at the same time everynight

turn down the heat or sleep with an open window so you don't get too hot

sleepytime tea

No alcohol after about 6 pm... alcohol makes you fall asleep quickly, but the quality is compromised

Don't watch T.V. in bed.. make is just for sleeping.

And I always have to leave the closet door open so i can see if the mosters are moving around in there \:\)

Dan

Marge Simpson

#211222 - 03/17/08 07:34 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: dannym]
spirit of winter Offline
New Here

Loc: Weaver Alabama
All these things work well.

Concerning temperature when sleeping. I read a study that said that the warmer your sleeping environment the more nightmares you will have and the worse they will be.

Personally if the thermostat is above 70 degrees, my sleep is much more disturbed than if it around or below 68.

Also, what goes for tv also goes for books. You kind of train your body not to sleep in the bed. So laying there for extended amounts of time when not sleeping is also bad (or so my doc tells me)

I want to be me. I want to be whole. I want to be the loving person me and my wife and family deserve. Mostly I want to feel like I deserve to live without fear of people, of who I am, of intimacy, and without fear of a past I can’t change.

#211256 - 03/17/08 12:37 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: spirit of winter]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I have a similar problem with sleep. If it's too warm, I have unpleasnt dreams and I sweat profusely.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#211261 - 03/17/08 01:07 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: cbfull]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
I'll add one to your list... Lay off the CAFFEINE!

I also strongly recommend for those who struggle to fall asleep:

Prepare your bedroom and yourself for sleeping 1 hour before actually physically going to bed. Turn down the sheets, crack a window to make it cooler, brush your teeth set out your clothes for the following morning. All that 1 full hour before bed.

Then, in that hour after getting ready for bed, avoid brain stimulants being televisions and computers and loud music. Reading works for some but for others it engages their mind. Stay in a dimly lit room for a while and just think of all the stuff that you'd usually think after you go to bed. The idea here is to train your mind to understand that BED=SLEEP.

Did you know it takes people an average of 7 minutes to fall asleep? When I first heard that I didn't believe it. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep in less than 15 minutes but I know my wife can easily do that.

From a recovered insomniac,
~Brian

#211280 - 03/17/08 04:06 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: frost]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks everyone, all brilliant responses!

I'm going to implement as many as i can- this is the first time i've felt positive about sleep for ages now- i can already feel myself getting excited at the prospect of a good nights sleep

love the idea of getting ready an hour before bed Frost, i think that could be very beneficial

where do you get melatonin from David, is it a suppplement that you buy or do you mean you make the conditions right for your body to release it, and if it is a supplement does it make you too sleepy in the morning?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#211284 - 03/17/08 05:00 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I don't really have a right to say anything here, not with the way my sleep has been going, but I've noticed that doing 20 minutes weights about an hour and a half before sleeping works very wellfor me. Any later and there's too much adrenaline, in my system, and any earlier and my muscles will have recovered and no longer feel tired.

Exercize in general I've found very good for sleep.

another old one I've found of course is %70 coco hot chocolate made with milk, bbut I know some people find coco to be a stimulant, I'm personally mildly addicted to coco so it helps me relax.

anther handy trick I used last week, which fixed my pattern over the weekend is if I happen to wake up at some hour of the morning (say 3 am), rather than lying in bed worrying myself silly trying to force myself to sleep, I get up and do something mundane, ----- just as in the hour before sleep, such as watch dvd's or read.

then I spend the day as awake as I can, and finally go to bed at the normal time with a bog standard nightol.

I'm not sure if this is correct, or even if I'm doing the right thing, and I'm sorry if this isn't ood advice.

#211301 - 03/17/08 06:14 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: dark empathy]
des6263 Offline

Actually both, your body produces melatonin, some people not enough so they have trouble falling asleep. You can buy melatonin at health food stores, walgreens, anywhere they sell supplements. the Kind my son and I take is a pill you put under you tongue and let it dissolve. Works wonders for us.

Nature's way Melatonin Lozenge sublingual form.
Took that off the label. I think the wife mail orders it for a better price. I will find out where.
Hope this helps
David

#212955 - 03/25/08 10:43 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: des6263]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Damn me!
I didn't give much thought to turning the light off last night, and maybe it's because my brother is home and sleeping in the same room, or maybe because all of that arguing on here last night got to me, but i don't think i've ever ever had dreams as bad as that before!!!!
absolutely terrible i am really not happy at all about the realness of those dreams and the feelings and fear and pain and i cant even write them down because they would make me look like a freak
the thing is i cant keep the light on because he will want it off and the bulbs in both of my lamps are broken
i don't know why my father played the role he did in my dreams, i think it was something symbolic
i really want to talk about the dreams and see what you think so maybe i'll write about them in the open forum later

#214481 - 03/31/08 09:55 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i found this on my university website about sleep routine advice

"Don't be ashamed of having your teddy or security blanket"

i was suprised that they advise this on a university website, they've got some quite good advice about sleep

i have to get my act together, i don't like the idea of sleep anymore, it seems such a waste of time, i wish i could be awake all the time, i could get so much more done, there are too many loose ends to even want to go to sleep, sleep is like a luxury and it's just such a waste of time and i don't even feel like i deserve sleep half the time, and if i have a bad dream it will just play on my mind all day, i wont go to sleep tonight so that i'm extra tired tomorrow night, and i'll just drink tonnes of coffee tomorrow so that i can get my work done, and then maybe i'll fall back in to a routine

#214503 - 03/31/08 10:31 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
SuperTramp7981 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
In a dorm it's hard to have a consistent sleep patter/schedule to say the least.....but I try to go to bed around 11:30-12:00 midnight every night. I usually sleep well.....unless I have nightmares or weird dreams then I'm up all night and probably the next night at least.

'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fulfil de book.

Chat Name-Lparsons

#214718 - 04/01/08 09:32 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: SuperTramp7981]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i just typed 'sleeping after csa' in google and it came up with this from the canadian space agency

"Sleeping in space is not like sleeping on earth. On earth, when you go to bed, you lie down on a mattress, close your eyes and, hopefully after counting a few sheep, you fall asleep."

i don't know why i found that really funny, maybe i will pretend i'm sleeping in space tonight lol

#214719 - 04/01/08 09:42 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

and now i found a study about sleep and childhood sexual abuse, they used results from 147 FEMALES, they used 147 people and it seems it didn't even occur to then to include any MALES, that is annoying, i don't know how different their results would have been, but that is just annoying dont you think?

#214721 - 04/01/08 09:49 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

there is so much on the internet these days, i wish i had had the internet back then, maybe i would have told somebody maybe, i don't know, you never know, i need to go to sleep

#214750 - 04/02/08 01:00 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Lewis,
It is a fact that the human body needs sleep. Please in your next research look up sleep deprivation and notice the side effects! I think your already experiencing some of them and attributing it to other things. You worrying me guy. Your trying to keep yourself busy so you won't dream and won't process and that is a weak dam your building and when it gives way you may be sorry your not rested enough to handle it in a healthy way.

just my opinion and concern.
Your friend

#214752 - 04/02/08 01:07 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Freedom49]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

yeah i do need to go to sleep, it's just hard, and for some reason my cd player has locked into a loop of a couple of songs, it's not designed to loop, so it's just going on and on and it is basically morning now anyway, i can sleep tomorrow, i don't feel up to facing sleep tonight

#214806 - 04/02/08 08:50 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sounds like you and your CD player have something in common. Love ya guy. Get some rest.

#214819 - 04/02/08 11:04 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Freedom49]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

ok, i have part of the solution, my dog started stretching out her paws like she wanted me to go to bed and she was being very cuddly and then i felt like i had to go to sleep just so she could go to sleep because she doesn't like sleeping on her own at night so i went to sleep for her and i didn't have any bad dreams, she must have got up before me but she came back to wake me up, so i have to remember to go to sleep for my dog

#214847 - 04/02/08 04:18 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dogs are great. They always seem to know what we need. Like doggy telepathy. Give him a puppy hug for me.

#215508 - 04/05/08 05:04 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Freedom49]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

feeling positive

got myself into a good zone last night, could feel it wasn't a very permanent zone, like a humming car that your glad is running but are conscious could stall any second

i started writing a story and the characters let me go somewhere more certain

i have bulbs for my lamp now, and got up at a reasonable time, ate well yesterday, prepared for bed early so got at least 3 hours solid sleep, even just had breakfast!

think i really grasped the idea of 'progressing' last night, it means 'implementing', i knew that of course before, but more so i think it means finding a zone, i'll lose it, but there is a zone i think

#215523 - 04/05/08 08:55 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
des6263 Offline

Hey King Tut, Did you try the melatonin?

Hope you get this under control.

Peace
David

#215549 - 04/05/08 11:44 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: des6263]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

no, i don't like buying stuff over the internet so i went to this place where there is a health shop that sells stuff like that, run by some chinese people, but found they have closed down and been replaced by a clothes shop, it has been in my mind though, and will look into it further if this persists, i just bought lots of different kinds of tea today, i know caffeine keeps you up but i really do like tea lol, mostly drink normal tea but some tea is really relaxing, like green tea (reminds me of tibetan monks for some reason?- although i think they drink butter-tea) and camomille tea is really relaxing, i've also bought some blackbery tea because blackberrys reminds me of when i used to go blackberry picking with my grandfather and it just makes me smile

#277799 - 03/01/09 07:05 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

pffff, what to do? try going to sleep? i dont know, it is midnight now, i didnt do my homework, i guess i will do it tomorrow night. i will drink lots of coffee and do it tomorrow night even though i will be tired. im annoyed that i didnt do my homework, really annoyed, totally my fault, but i will do it tomorrow night.

i think going to sleep now is too early, i feel more tired if i go to bed too early, and i feel more sluggish in the morning.

i dont know what i should do though, maybe find a dvd to watch? that might be ok. i watched a really rubbish film today, and it was long, so that has really annoyed me, what a complete waste of my time. i have to learn how to use my time better, i should have just turned it off when i could see how rubbish it was instead of watching it to the end just for the sake of it.

i could get things ready for university, or could actually do my homework, but i really dont feel like it. it will be really hard and it will take ALL night and i wont end up sleeping at all, and that will be even worse, i guess.

i havent really done any homework this weekend, its been more of a reflecting weekend that was over before it began. when they ask me what work i got up to on the weekend in university i will just make something up, i hate it how they are so judgemental- really gets on my nerves, you know, even if it is my friends, what business of it is theirs. i can do what ever i like, and it doesnt make me bad if i dont do any work, i have time to do my work. my homework doesnt have to be in until wednesday this week, and all my other homework doesn't have to be in until next week i think- although sure there is alot of it so i have to get it done before this week is over, so i dont have to worry myself, i just have to be careful, pace myself, plan carefully, use my time carefully. none of this is anything to do with the title of the thread is it? but it is good to babble on anyway, kind of relaxing, i must have alot going on in my mind right now, maybe that is why i cant sleep, or why i dont want to sleep, like i dont deserve to sleep, because i havent done enough today to warrant sleep. sometimes i think im better if i dont sleep actually, because i try to focus more. well ok, one thing i will do is plan to dedicate my time carefully this week, and not waste next weekend like i wasted this weekend.

ok, i promise to be more dedicated to my work next week- you see that, that is a promise, so i will keep to that and get lots done next week

#277880 - 03/01/09 11:17 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
Letourski Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey,

Here are some facts about sleep:

1) The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

2) Seventeen hours of sustained wakefulness leads to a decrease in performance equivalent to a blood alcohol-level of 0.05%.

3) Exposure to noise at night can suppress immune function even if the sleeper doesn’t wake. Unfamiliar noise, and noise during the first and last two hours of sleep, has the greatest disruptive effect on the sleep cycle.

Here is a link that contains 40 facts about sleep.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm

#277888 - 03/02/09 12:15 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Letourski]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Sleep has always been a big issue to me as a survivor of CSA.

As a child, I seemed to have a lot of that inherent hormone or whatever it is that helps most children sleep. Yet I know I was troubled by severe dreams. By the time I arrived at Uni, I would try to stay up late to get my work done. I would arise to attend class feeling quite miserable. I overheard another perceptive student at the breakfast table comment that I was groaning as I sat there. Yet I was quite unaware of my adverse dream life because it was so intolerable to my conscious mind that it was suppressed. I have only recently figured out that the reason I made much better grades during summer session was that I could sleep late. My brain could function better because of getting more sleep.

When I entered into the recovery phase of my lifespan, I became aware of a lot of things I had hidden from myself since childhood, including dreams and flashbacks. I am just beginning to understand that since bed was where I was abused mostly, going to bed at night presents me with all sorts of problems. I tended to have flashbacks and body memories of abuse just because of the fact that I had plopped my corpus in bed.

I have been wrongly advised by books and T's that when I go to bed I need to have nothing else to do there, such as read, etc. But I believe this is bad advice for me. Since bed was the place of abuse, just being there is a source of triggering memories and flashbacks. When I go to bed I have to read something really interesting to occupy my little mind until I get so sleepy that I will fall asleep without having these body memories pop up. Actually I read comforing Psalms until I get sleepy. Getting plenty of exercise during the day also helps normal sleep.

Some CSA survivors sleep better in a comfortable recliner chair that doesn't remind them (subconsciously) of being in bed. Those memories tend to crop up simply because of being in bed. Even having some kind of a soft noise-maker or tv or radio music seems to keep the brain from getting trapped into those roller-coaster dreams that are destructive to our sleep.

Allen

pufferfish whistle

#277895 - 03/02/09 01:44 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: pufferfish]
Brother B+ Offline

Loc: France
I, too, have a lot of trouble with going to bed at night. I am frequently troubled by either fear or anxiety (sometimes I even leave a candle burning so as not to be totally in the dark, and I am 42 years old!) or tortured by night sweats and nightmares.

I was also abused at night, when my mom worked and my dad would be home alone with me and my sister. He used to make me go to bed naked after my shower/bath so that I would be ready for him. For a long time, I had trouble getting undressed for bed, and even now if there is someone with whom I am sharing a room, I have a lot of fear and shame about getting undressed and going to bed.

I hadn't heard that a noise maker or radio helps with nightmares. I have to check it out!

Sometimes I think milk and cookies are the ultimate comfort food!

Brother B+ Story

#277901 - 03/02/09 05:38 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Brother B+]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Well Brother,

I'm soon to be fifty two and until very recently I had to sleep with a light on! And I still sleep with the TV on, it's the only thing that I have found that keeps the nightmares at bay - in spite of all the different drugs the medical profession keeps trying to fill me up with - it's the TV that prevents my nightmares.

#277915 - 03/02/09 10:00 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
melliferal Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: king tut

5) we're usually told to grow out of night-lights, but night-lights are better than nightmares!

My father could never understand the need for a nightlight. He would always tell me there's no reason to be afraid of the dark. I tried to explain to him that I wasn't afraid of the dark, I was afraid of what's IN the dark...but he never seemed to get it.

Originally Posted By: king tut
and now i found a study about sleep and childhood sexual abuse, they used results from 147 FEMALES, they used 147 people and it seems it didn't even occur to then to include any MALES, that is annoying, i don't know how different their results would have been, but that is just annoying dont you think?

It is not annoying at all, to me. Abuse is abuse is abuse. If females are as capable as males of suffering PTSD, anxiety, depression, and all manner of other mental difficulties and disorders as a result of CSA, they're capable of suffering the same sleep disruptions. What were the results of the study?

Oprah's resources for male survivors

#277916 - 03/02/09 10:47 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: des6263]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
For ME:

1-Hot Shower
2-I turn on talk radio
3-Stereo plays "sailing on ocean" sound.
4-sleep

OH....and 3 Klonopin, 2 Effexor, 1 Lamictal, 2 Toperal, 1 Abilify

Chem-induced coma comes on within an hour.

For My 10 & 8 year-olds:

1-Routine and set times
2-Hot Bath at a relaxed pace
3-off to bed with a habitual "decompression time" wherein they read books or comics.
4-Lights Out after Dad tucks em in and gives a kiss
5-Off to sleep - then wake up Dad at 0600 with flying body slams.

#277995 - 03/02/09 11:40 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Still]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Anyone else here feel the need to sleep on their stomachs? Its an awful habit and kills my back. I feel like I get beat up every night when I`m sleeping (partly due to an old mattress), but it takes me hours to fall asleep on my back and even if I do, I wake up with a nightmare within 20 min. I just feel too vulnerable.

#277997 - 03/02/09 11:58 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Riley]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I used to sleep on my belly when I was a kid, but since my teenage years I have been a side sleeper. Which is a good thing, because as you get up in age you can sleep on a different side if one side gets sore!!!

A new mattress might work wonders too. Or a nice recliner in front of the TV.

Mark

#277998 - 03/02/09 11:58 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: Riley]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
How did that happen again???

Duplicate!!!

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (03/02/09 11:59 PM)
Edit Reason: duplicate

#278051 - 03/03/09 01:05 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: des6263]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

I haven't read all of the posts yet but this is what I do...

I usually eat some hot/warm oatmeal before beginning my "routine" to go to bed. It helps me calm down. Sometimes I do some meditation so I'm "In the zone" so to speak so I can get ready for bed easier. If I'm rushed or anxious or anything it doesn't work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.