Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blakanezebruh (43), OneWithStrength (37), Parker (45), scottyg (42)
Who's Online
3 registered (Scott1962, dan_in_newengland, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446621 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211208 - 03/17/08 03:50 AM Bedtime Rules for little children
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Bedtime Rules for little children (and big children who just can't remember)

okay so i was hoping that people could add to a list or share their experiences about getting a good nights sleep- i seem to be talking about sleep quite alot on this site so i thought it's about time that i do this

i seem to be neglecting the most basic things- that's how far my sleep pattern is messed up- i try to justify my weird sleeping pattern by telling people that the morning is just an approximation- that way i don't feel so odd walking around the house at 4am! and rule number 3 was one thing that i noticed when i woke up today lol

1) Routine and Consistency!
2) Change out of your clothes
3) Take your shoes off!
4) hug your dog/teddies if you must- that is okay
5) we're usually told to grow out of night-lights, but night-lights are better than nightmares!
6) Reverse psychology alarm clock? just a thought lol- the only time i feel like i can get to sleep is when my alarm clock prompts me to wake up

what do people do to prepare for bed? i don't remember anymore

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#211212 - 03/17/08 06:11 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

i have one of those sleep machines- they give you a choice of different sounds-----light rainng-----waterfall-----heartbeat-------ect---------helps me calm my mind when it is racing-------steve

#211220 - 03/17/08 07:03 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: sabata]
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
Try melatonin, it is a natural hormone that tells your brain it is time for bed. It has worked for my 8 yr old son and I.

I heard some where too, to make sure you dim the lights in the evening, the dark is what triggers the natural release of melatonin

Hope this helps.
David

Edited by des6263 (03/17/08 07:04 AM)

#211221 - 03/17/08 07:04 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: sabata]
dannym Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Boulder, Colorado
Take a warm bath or shower before you go to bed

go to bed at the same time everynight

turn down the heat or sleep with an open window so you don't get too hot

sleepytime tea

No alcohol after about 6 pm... alcohol makes you fall asleep quickly, but the quality is compromised

Don't watch T.V. in bed.. make is just for sleeping.

And I always have to leave the closet door open so i can see if the mosters are moving around in there \:\)

Dan

Marge Simpson

#211222 - 03/17/08 07:34 AM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: dannym]
spirit of winter Offline
New Here

Loc: Weaver Alabama
All these things work well.

Concerning temperature when sleeping. I read a study that said that the warmer your sleeping environment the more nightmares you will have and the worse they will be.

Personally if the thermostat is above 70 degrees, my sleep is much more disturbed than if it around or below 68.

Also, what goes for tv also goes for books. You kind of train your body not to sleep in the bed. So laying there for extended amounts of time when not sleeping is also bad (or so my doc tells me)

I want to be me. I want to be whole. I want to be the loving person me and my wife and family deserve. Mostly I want to feel like I deserve to live without fear of people, of who I am, of intimacy, and without fear of a past I canít change.

#211256 - 03/17/08 12:37 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: spirit of winter]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I have a similar problem with sleep. If it's too warm, I have unpleasnt dreams and I sweat profusely.

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#211261 - 03/17/08 01:07 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: cbfull]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
I'll add one to your list... Lay off the CAFFEINE!

I also strongly recommend for those who struggle to fall asleep:

Prepare your bedroom and yourself for sleeping 1 hour before actually physically going to bed. Turn down the sheets, crack a window to make it cooler, brush your teeth set out your clothes for the following morning. All that 1 full hour before bed.

Then, in that hour after getting ready for bed, avoid brain stimulants being televisions and computers and loud music. Reading works for some but for others it engages their mind. Stay in a dimly lit room for a while and just think of all the stuff that you'd usually think after you go to bed. The idea here is to train your mind to understand that BED=SLEEP.

Did you know it takes people an average of 7 minutes to fall asleep? When I first heard that I didn't believe it. I don't think I've ever fallen asleep in less than 15 minutes but I know my wife can easily do that.

From a recovered insomniac,
~Brian

#211280 - 03/17/08 04:06 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: frost]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
thanks everyone, all brilliant responses!

I'm going to implement as many as i can- this is the first time i've felt positive about sleep for ages now- i can already feel myself getting excited at the prospect of a good nights sleep

love the idea of getting ready an hour before bed Frost, i think that could be very beneficial

where do you get melatonin from David, is it a suppplement that you buy or do you mean you make the conditions right for your body to release it, and if it is a supplement does it make you too sleepy in the morning?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#211284 - 03/17/08 05:00 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: king tut]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
I don't really have a right to say anything here, not with the way my sleep has been going, but I've noticed that doing 20 minutes weights about an hour and a half before sleeping works very wellfor me. Any later and there's too much adrenaline, in my system, and any earlier and my muscles will have recovered and no longer feel tired.

Exercize in general I've found very good for sleep.

another old one I've found of course is %70 coco hot chocolate made with milk, bbut I know some people find coco to be a stimulant, I'm personally mildly addicted to coco so it helps me relax.

anther handy trick I used last week, which fixed my pattern over the weekend is if I happen to wake up at some hour of the morning (say 3 am), rather than lying in bed worrying myself silly trying to force myself to sleep, I get up and do something mundane, ----- just as in the hour before sleep, such as watch dvd's or read.

then I spend the day as awake as I can, and finally go to bed at the normal time with a bog standard nightol.

I'm not sure if this is correct, or even if I'm doing the right thing, and I'm sorry if this isn't ood advice.

#211301 - 03/17/08 06:14 PM Re: Bedtime Rules for little children [Re: dark empathy]
des6263 Offline

Loc: midwest, US
Actually both, your body produces melatonin, some people not enough so they have trouble falling asleep. You can buy melatonin at health food stores, walgreens, anywhere they sell supplements. the Kind my son and I take is a pill you put under you tongue and let it dissolve. Works wonders for us.

Nature's way Melatonin Lozenge sublingual form.
Took that off the label. I think the wife mail orders it for a better price. I will find out where.
Hope this helps
David

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.