Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (GT13568, takingitslow, Greg56, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442120 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#210770 - 03/14/08 09:31 PM spitzer
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
what do you all think about whats going with spitzer?

i have mixed feelings. part of me thinks that it is so blown way out of proportion. who cares that he hired a prositute. it's his personal life. part of me is pissed that the girl is capitalizing off of it. and part of me is thinking, that could totally be me... i dealt only with the rich powerful guys. i cant help but wonder if i will ever be involved in a scandal. and i wonder how i would handle that.

#210772 - 03/14/08 09:35 PM Re: spitzer [Re: Jarrad]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I don't think this would be such a big deal had it not been his agenda to be "holier than thou" - He really crusaded viciously for a non - corrupt system - He attacked and closed many prostitution rings - and sent many to jail. He worked the system and hurt a lot of people for his own political gain. In the end -his agenda was a total falsehood. That's what angers me.

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#210837 - 03/15/08 10:55 AM Re: spitzer [Re: markgreyblue]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mark has a point. It's interesting that the people who are the most vocal, and in the case of politicians the most active against something, are the very ones that seem to get caught up in the web of their own making.

Yeah, this gal is capitalizing big time off her little interlude with the Gov. One report said she'd be a millionare by the end of next week due to purchases of her single off a music download site.

Who knows for sure how it'll actually go, Jarrad, if a scandal arises involving you? Working on these things now will help you if or when it happens.

Lots of love,

John

#210841 - 03/15/08 11:16 AM Re: spitzer [Re: WalkingSouth]
tartugas Offline
Board Member
MaleSurvivor
Loc: NYC
As a a resident of NY state (and as someone who once met and voted for the guy), I'm enraged at the man. I could care less about the prostitute issue (although that doesn't win him many points as a human in my book). What makes me so angry is the sense of betrayal I feel.

This is a guy who really had built up a reputation as a reformer, and it really looked as though he had the ability to come in and breakup the logjam in Albany that has so often made things vastly more difficult in this state than they needed to be. But because of his hubris and his arrogance he transformed from a powerful force for positive change into a fool almost overnight.

The blind hypocrisy of his actions, combined with the moronic inability to conceive of the consequences of his actions, combined with the breach of promise he made to me as a voter and resident of this state to hold himself to a high standard of behavior just sickens me.

As a citizen, I'm am so disheartened by the state of our political process. I understand why Obama has gathered so much support, as he is someone who seems relatively free of the taint of a lifetime in politics. To me that's truly sad in a way. The more experience one has with government in this country, the more they seem to be viewed with fear and loathing, as though public service necessarily causes one to become tainted. It's a shame.

Personally, I would like to think that someone who enters any kind of public service, be they a politician, teacher, social worker, or even therapist, chooses to live their life to a different, higher standard. I'm not saying public servents need be angels, but I'm disgusted with the assumption that politicians must necessarily be devils. This assumption, made by a weary and bedraggled electorate, fosters the kind of dysfunction that we currently see in our nation. WE the citizens must be a sort of parent to our politicians. It is our approval they need to survive, and our reprimands that ultimately hold them in check when they go wrong. The vast majority of Americans have acted like disconnected, disinterested parents for too long, it's no wonder so many of our politicians act like spolied, untrained children.

I wish I had an answer for this problem. But sadly, I don't yet know how to get millions of people to open their eyes to see the truth before them. Instead, it seems most people are willing to enjoy the salaciousness of another sex scandal while blissfully remaining disconnected from the larger issues at stake.

Oh, and one last thing, how dare he make his wife appear with him while he gives some sort of self congratulatory apology. If the man had any guts at all he'd have stood alone and said very simply, "I screwed up. I betrayed the trust of you all. I'm sorry I'm not fit to be your govenor any longer."

Healing D.H. Lawrence

#210852 - 03/15/08 12:19 PM Re: spitzer [Re: tartugas]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

Plenty of those people around---------------the ones who crusade -wholier than thou--------------look at the religous leaders---------------who got cought-----------------do as i say not as i do-----------------------i could really get on a roll about all of these people---------------------but i will leave it alone--------------------------i dont need to get all twisted about these jurks-----------------------that i have no control over----------------------steve

#210859 - 03/15/08 01:02 PM Re: spitzer [Re: sabata]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I would like to know why it's perfectly ok to pay money to politicians (political contributions) in return for political favors, such as building football stadiums, or bridges to nowhere, courtesy of other people's hard earned money, but it's not ok for one consenting adult to give money to another consenting adult for the return of sexual pleasure. I find laws against prostitution, in a "free society" which our politicians so brazenly claim that we live in, more rife with hypocrisy than the double life that Spitzer lived. The very law itself has no place in our society.

One of the principle arguments for laws against prostitution is that it's "degrading" for those that do it. Well, you know what? I work for barely above minimum wage I find that even more degrading. If I could make $4,000 bucks per hour as a call girl, I would probably do it too!

#210866 - 03/15/08 01:28 PM Re: spitzer [Re: Hauser]
Scoutvictim Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Hauser,

Take if from me...

NOT the right career path for you!

Try some of the other things we talked about the other night, please!

Luv ya,
Carl

Happiness is like peeing your pants; Everyone can see it, but only YOU feel the warmth.

Peebles, Ohio WOR alumni, Oct. 2007

#210874 - 03/15/08 02:15 PM Re: spitzer [Re: Scoutvictim]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
i dont think anyone really did anything wrong here. i think its about two things. 1. everyone is human. and 2. its about choice.

yeah, spitzer was in the political spotlight but at the end of the day he was still human. he still has issues like the rest of us. i think that we need these scandals to remember that they aren't "holier than thou" and that they are humans. so tartugas, i kinda disagree with you. the best politicians, the best teachers, the best social workers are the ones who still operate ont he human level. they don't take their power to an extreme. we sometimes percieve public officals as higher than ourselves so when scandals do arise we get all pissed off at them. but if just step back, we realize oh... they are human too.

the other part is about choice. on all sides. he chose to hire a call girl. she chose to say yes. i think we are forgetting too that on both sides, choices were made in a certain sequence that led up the event. it all could have been very different if one choice along the way was altered.

as for the legal issues surrounding prositution, its a load of bullshit. they don't call it the oldest profession for no reason. it has been around forever, and will continue to be around for ever regardless of laws. its just taboo in society at this given point in history but it wasn't always. you can argue that its an intregal part of soceity. the sexually repressed are able to get that release they dont get at home and can then go on and function normally. "prostitution" sounds dirty to a lot of people, but at the end of the day, it's just sex.

#210878 - 03/15/08 02:24 PM Re: spitzer [Re: Jarrad]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Jarrad
yeah, spitzer was in the political spotlight but at the end of the day he was still human. he still has issues like the rest of us.

And therein lies a definite truth all mankind would be wise to bear in mind!

#211042 - 03/16/08 11:50 AM Re: spitzer [Re: WalkingSouth]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I just heard a pundit put this in a really good perspective.
"He (Spitzer) was a lawyer and law maker who so agressively used the law to further his agenda - without respecting the law."

Edited by markgreyblue (03/16/08 11:54 AM)

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.