Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
2 registered (tbkkfile, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63647 Topics
444512 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#210682 - 03/14/08 02:17 PM support groups
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Kathy Barbini, a film producer who is completing a production on male survivors and has posted here previously, sent me the following message. She might want to hear about the Healing Circles or other groups you may be aware of. Perhaps your therapist is aware of such groups or research that's being done or has been done. I'm not aware of any but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

If you want to contact her, pm me and I'll fwd the message to her. If she is ok with my giving out her email, I'll post that later.
Thanks,
Ken

I'm the producer of Boys and Men Healing documentary. We're in the midst of writing
a grant to finish production of the film, and wondering if you have any resources for research
that may outline the need for (or lack of?) male survivor support groups in communities (facilitated and/or survivor led) throughout the country-- and any related statistics.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Sincerely,

Kathy Barbini
Big Voice Pictures

#210703 - 03/14/08 04:38 PM Re: support groups [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Ken I would be glad to talk to her about the Healing Circles and the lack of help for male survivors.

Tom

#210710 - 03/14/08 05:45 PM Re: support groups [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I too would try to help if I can. I know there is a lack of support where I live and have to travel 3 1/2 hours to Raleigh for the nearest csa support group.

__m_τΏτ_m__
|| || || || || || |

#210711 - 03/14/08 06:15 PM Re: support groups [Re: GateKPR4]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
The Sexual Assualt Response Center here in Kenewick has a Male Survivor Support Gorup. It is only 6 sessions right now but I am trying to get an ongoing support group for hte Tri Cities Area in east washington state.

#210788 - 03/14/08 10:54 PM Re: support groups [Re: Freedom49]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
I have ben in the Veterans Hospital System for several years .
And I have repeatly asked for a Male Sexual Trama Group and have had not ben able to get a group started . They do admit that there are other male sexual trama victoms that are being councled at the Muskogee VA hospital. But they have not tried to form a group . If it were not for "Male Survivor" I would not have any contact with any other male victoms.
This seems to be a problem around the country That treatment for male victoms is hard to find. This is an issue that needs to be addresed by the people that are doing this reserch.

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#210811 - 03/15/08 08:43 AM Re: support groups [Re: OKIE MIKE]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Kathy Barbini said it was ok to give her email so anyone who wants to comment can reach her directly at:

kathy@bigvoicepictures.com

Ken

#210831 - 03/15/08 10:27 AM Re: support groups [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
Muldoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St Paul MN
Thanks Ken.

Maybe they can use some of the interviews that I has on tape already. Lots of useful information in the interviews.

Tom

#210845 - 03/15/08 11:33 AM Re: support groups [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
jcf1957 Offline

Loc: North Of The 49th Parallel
Ken;

I too wouldn't mind talking with Kathy Barbini. It would be a great step in having such a film educate the public about male rape victims not only in the United States; but, I am sure I can think of few interest groups in Canada from a federal and provincial level that would take interest in airing such a film in public venues.

Edited by jcf1957 (03/15/08 01:28 PM)

Today well lived...makes every tomorrow a vision of Hope.
Anonymous

#210861 - 03/15/08 01:17 PM Re: support groups [Re: jcf1957]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
There are no male survivor support groups where I live, and there is a population well in excess of half a million people in our county. There are mens groups, but they're for "Anger management groups" and "Domestic Relationships Groups" and "Nurturing Dads Groups" and "Substance Abuse Groups" for men, but nothing for sexual abuse survivors.

This really sucks for me because I don't need group support to stop hitting my girlfriend or how to be a better father or how to quit smoking crack.

Oh, but of course, as Tom has alluded to here before, there are plenty of groups for women sexual abuse survivors in the same area.

#210879 - 03/15/08 02:25 PM Re: support groups [Re: Hauser]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I go to a meeting on Saturday for "At Risk" kinda people, but I'm not sure they want psychologists coming in to study us or anything...

*shrug*

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.