Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, JW1230, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64190 Topics
447927 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210737 - 03/14/08 08:09 PM Interesting Discovery
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
As some of you know I have just returned from a psych hospital stay of 8 days for issues related to my CSA and stress.

This was my second 8-day psych stay in 8 months...nothing to be proud of, but let me tell you this; it was a positive experience and it kept me alive.

This recent trip was rather diffcult for me. There were some scary factors and people involved. But during the stay I learned a very interesting bit of info from my fellow patients/inmates.

We were all there for suicidal issues and/or some sort of substance abuse problem that reached life-threatening levels. Wanna guess what percentage of them were CSA victims?????

#210774 - 03/14/08 09:39 PM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: Still]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Rob,
So good to see you back, I'm glad to see your doing what you need to do to survive. You say that its not anything to be proud of (2 visits in 8 months) but I think it is. Your doing what you need to do for you to get your life on the right track. It would be easy for you to go back to your old ways but instead you faced it by getting help.

As far as the percentage of CSA, well I know it can't be 100%, but I'd say 80%.

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#210781 - 03/14/08 10:15 PM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: onlyakid]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I'll say 55%, I spent something like 3 months in a psych ward Robbie. I can tell ya it was really weird. I had to take my time and become acclimated to the outside world. Take your time and be good to yourself. OK?

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#210785 - 03/14/08 10:42 PM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: GateKPR4]
OKIE MIKE Offline

Loc: HULBERT OK
Alot of us have ben there . I have ben 3 times in a phyc ward . It is no fun . As far as a persent fo sexual trama victoms . My guess is around 25 %

"I HAD NO SHOES THEN I SAW A MAN THAT HAD NO FEET"

"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"

#210799 - 03/15/08 01:42 AM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: OKIE MIKE]
G5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I'll guess 35%-40%
I spent some time in a hospital also. I almost took my life and I thought I belonged there. That place woke me up real quick. I almost forgot I was there until I saw your post. Glad this visit was positive. It took me a long time to get over my stay. Flashbacks right now......wow.

Chris

Oprah 200
PA Support Group
WoR Alta Advanced '12
"Silence Buster"

#210800 - 03/15/08 01:44 AM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: G5]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
100%

#210829 - 03/15/08 10:26 AM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: EGL]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

DING DING DING!!! Eddie has it.

#210835 - 03/15/08 10:44 AM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: Still]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

That was my guess as well. I'm sure that is not always the case in psych wards, but I'll bet overall the percentages are very high.

#210862 - 03/15/08 01:19 PM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: WalkingSouth]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
WOW! I knew there was a lot of it happening but this is an eye opener. Wonder what the statistics are or if they even keep any on csa and mental/addiction problems? I know that when I was in AA I met quite a few survivors. In my own experience from all the women I dated almost all had some kind of csa history. I don't want to take away from the male side of the issue, just an observation from my own history.

__m__m__
|| || || || || || |

#211012 - 03/16/08 09:25 AM Re: Interesting Discovery [Re: GateKPR4]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Having been in two Psych hospitals, I can tell you that they do NOT want to delve into root causes of behavioral problems. In my first hospital, I disclosed to the group. About 80% of the others there confirmed that they too were CSAed. Most have never dealt with the issue before. Having raised the issue, I put some of them into a serious funk. During one session, a newbie to the group (whom was in for severe depression) heard me talking about my abuse. He promptly stood-up, took about five steps across the room and fainted flat on his face (breaking it).

I can tell you that of ALL the Psychiatrists I have worked with in-patient, have had an auto-reaction to turn away from the CSA, and deal with the symptoms it causes me. I was told by one Doc that "you've suffered enough having gone through that...you need to just let it go and move on with life." I was SO frustrated that I began to cry after he said that.

Anyway...this all just sucks...don't it?

Edited by Robbie Brown (03/16/08 09:27 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.