Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447733 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210807 - 03/15/08 06:13 AM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: Jarrad]
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Hey Richard,

I'll ask guys to upload the record to the Internet so that I could watch it too.

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#210809 - 03/15/08 08:41 AM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: alexey]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
It would be great if we can get a legal link to the show. I like your hair, Richard. They took a few years off you. Nice.

If we can get a legal link, I've already heard from someone on another listserv I'm on who wasn't able to see it due to tornado power loss in Atlanta last night. If we get a post, I'll fwd it to her.
Ken

#210810 - 03/15/08 08:43 AM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: alexey]
GateKPR4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I chose not to watch it since the 20/20 web site had a review of the agenda. I was thinking parts would probably be triggering for me and I really don't want to deal with it. I have had enough for a while.

__m_ô¿ô_m__
|| || || || || || |

#210819 - 03/15/08 09:42 AM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: GateKPR4]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Richard was only on for a few minutes and what he said got glossed over by the main theme of the show which to me was that teens should NOT be on a sex offender registry for having sex or sexual contact with other consenting teens, note the consenting part. That seems to be what the whole thing was slanted to. Plus they perpetuated the idea that girls are more victim than boys which is only true by a small percentage margin. I hate when they do these things and try to put too much information into 1 hour. Pick a topic and stick to it!

One thing I did notice on Richard's segment was that the papers on his desk did say Malesurvivor - I guess that was the only plug 20/20 let through.

ROCK ON.......Trish

#210820 - 03/15/08 09:44 AM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: GateKPR4]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

One of the things that bothered me was when John Stossel (the investigative reporter hosting the show) was defending the 22 y/o teacher for having sex with her 15 y/o student. I think the lady who he was interviewing that was harrassing the teacher was crossing the line, sure, but I found his attitude somewhat ignorant and frightening.

#210853 - 03/15/08 12:22 PM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Ken Singer, LCSW
It would be great if we can get a legal link to the show.

Looks like at least parts are online at http://abcnews.go.com/2020/.

Might watch it myself this afternoon...

Mike

#210931 - 03/15/08 10:03 PM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: mike5]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: FEMA Region 1
Against my better judgement, I watched a lot of the segment.

These things piss me off to no end. I give up on the idea that the general public will ever things for what they really are.

For example; They totally missed the entire point that CHILDREN CANNOT CONSENT....THEY CAN ONLY COMPLY! (Meliferal 2007)

So we see MORE re-enforcement of the "oh....isn't that boy lucky" bullshit. This world is doomed!

#210932 - 03/15/08 10:08 PM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: Still]
Jarrad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: arizona
uh.. you all are missing the point. its a primetime discussion of the topic. that's very rare. it's still a step forward.

#210934 - 03/15/08 10:22 PM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: Jarrad]
mvnforwrd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NJ
To me the only good thing that was mentioned in the show lastnite was. A lady said " We teach our children how to have safe sex and the risk of sex but we do not teach them the statue of limitations".
The program was abviously geared more toward 13/14/15 year old girls having consented sex with Boys just over the statue age. And the parents getting pissed and reporting them regardles.
And also how society makes a hero out of a young boy that has sex with a older women.

The bottom line is the law is the law and if you are 1 day over the statue it makes it illegal to be with someone under the statue. there should have been more said about the time frame in which a victim can report and like a previous post said It waould take hours days to talk about all the problems regarding sexual abuse.

mvn4wrd

#210943 - 03/15/08 11:02 PM Re: 20/20 Friday March 14 "The Age of Consent" [Re: Jarrad]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Jarrad
uh.. you all are missing the point. its a primetime discussion of the topic. that's very rare. it's still a step forward.

You make a good point. It still bothers me that in some ways the program was reinforcing the stereotype rather than the truth, but yes, it was prime time and there were some excellent points made in spite of the negative reinforcement in certain segments.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.