Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobdaFarmer61 (53), LeeM1974 (40), MATROS48 (57), victor valdez (40)
Who's Online
6 registered (Jay1159, Jude, Obi, Jay1946, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64008 Topics
446738 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#209876 - 03/10/08 08:09 AM The screwtape letters, Cs lewis
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Well, I'm not sure if this one would be for everyone, but on the advice of a friend of mine yesterday afternoon (the friend I called the Warrior in my last vague attempt at a poem), I tried reading this.

I'd read it before, but doing it again now, especially in the light of my recent crysis and considderations I found a lot of things in it helpful, ---- some of them stung, some enlightned, some amused, but all in all it was good.

for people who haven't heard of it before, it's a set of letters supposedly written by a senior devil to a junior devil, giving advice on how to successfully tempt a man into commiting vices and thus ending up in hell.

Particular bits I found enlightening including a discussion about what sort of traps we can fall into during low periods, a discussion of humer excusing anything (which has very much related to my experiences as a teenager), and some quite nasty stuff about unselfishness and humility which particularly hit me, in fact I think I'm going to have to reread it again quite soon to fully take in it's advice.

I'm not sure if it'd be useful to everyone, but as i'm feeling a hell (haha), of a lot better today because of that book I thought I'd share it. I've also phoned my friend and thanked her of course, ---- especially as I almost broke down on the phone to her last night, which obviously wasn't good.

#210003 - 03/11/08 12:55 AM Re: The screwtape letters, Cs lewis [Re: dark empathy]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Thanks for the info on the book, d.e. I really like C.S. Lewis (I rewatched Narnia just last night). I also really liked the Shadowlands movie which was based on his life. The book you talked about above sounds like it would be helpful reading to get through some rough times.

#210018 - 03/11/08 04:56 AM Re: The screwtape letters, Cs lewis [Re: EGL]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well EGL I would recommend it. I actually cameacross the audio version read by john clees quite recently, , which is another reason why my friend's recommendation seems appropriate now. Actually she uses lewis especially as feel good literature. I should probably reread some of his other books as well.

I don't precisely agree with everything in the screwtape letters, ---- particularly the stuff about mariage, but that certainly didn't matter, and the vast majority of stuff I found incredibly useful.

#210031 - 03/11/08 08:27 AM Re: The screwtape letters, Cs lewis [Re: dark empathy]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
I have read the Screwtape Letters a couple of times. It is really amazing how he gets into the mind of evil. I also like his SF trilogy. I liked the book a lot. My fav has always been Mere Christianity. When Iwas in HS it kept me from leaving God behind when I was so disillusioned with the church and I have read it many times when I had doubts.

#210036 - 03/11/08 08:47 AM Re: The screwtape letters, Cs lewis [Re: Freedom49]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's one I haven't read myself, but I know his Sf trilogy extremely well, and they were some of the books which I remember were able to actually give me a few pleasant experiences outside myself as a teenager (I first read them when I was 13 and deep in the middle of my abuse).

I have reread them many times sinse then though, and each time I get more from them.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.