Newest Members
J44, Anura, reynel5, smc1972, Moi
12418 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
camdon (30), camdon greenwood (30), Denise (72), getteddie (66), morgoth (24), Ric (66)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12418 Members
74 Forums
63764 Topics
445305 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#209705 - 03/09/08 12:22 PM "Take me to Cuba"
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Let's define & dialogue on "hijacking" cuz I think it is needed

IMO hijacking is my starting a thread on Kraft dinner & it winds up being about piston engines
I think we forget this is aint a my way or the highway process
Each person who the thread touches brings thoughts, perceptions, feelings, connections, assumptions, triggers etc to the mix
That aint hijacking in my books
That is the way communication works
There is no "ownership" involved
It is a collaboration
Otherwise it is just me talking to myself

Have a lot more to say but this aint my soliloquy

Really want to hear from others

Craig

#209708 - 03/09/08 12:32 PM Re: "Take me to Cuba" [Re: ineffable]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Craig,
I agree with you on this. What one may see as hijacking a thread another may see as a progression of thought on the subject. We all come at the issues from different angles and I for one have appreciated the different points of view. Some I may not agree with but still find valuable in that I realize others may be seeing the issue from that perspective also. It helps shape my view of the subject to a little or in some cases a lot more rounded perspective. Hijack all you want.

#209712 - 03/09/08 12:58 PM Re: "Take me to Cuba" [Re: Freedom49]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
oops, posted to Ricky before I saw this, thought it'd be good here too.

I think this is such a tricky thing, how to express the support for the original post and still say all the things we want that come into our own head from the post. Definately not easy. I think we have alot more leeway than we think with this. Nothing wrong with asking our own questions and getting questions answered. I think it only becomes a problem when it goes off in another direction. (guilty myself of doing this )

I think it's sometimes good for other members to ask their own questions, in fact it might extend a post that wouldn't otherwise continue and that can be helpful to all, including the original poster.

I think the key is recognizing when a thought comes up in ourselves about another subject entirely. The best thing then is to start a new post.

You mentioned length of a post but I don't think that's it at all, length really has nothing to do with it, even taking over with the question's isn't so bad as long as the original subject is still being addressed.

I don't think apoligies are needed Ricky, I've never seen it from you. It's a rare occurance that a post get's hijacked. I think we all can understand how very easily our minds can go off in other directions.

Hi-jacking is probably a lot rarer than most of us think. It's not about the attention a poster gets but about the change of subject, which doesn't happen very often.

We're too hard on ourselves

Stay strong
Mike

#209725 - 03/09/08 03:18 PM Re: "Take me to Cuba" [Re: mogigo]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Good topic Craig!

Are you talking about me? \:\) I'm mostly kidding, but I remember a LONG post I made to your attachment post a few weeks ago. Afterwards I felt like I had said too much. I think it was "on topic" though.

But I tend to think of connected ideas a lot, so hijacking is kind of in my nature. Also, I'm kind of trained from groups I've been in to focus on my experience, not giving advice, probing or analyzing others, but relating MY experience that connects somehow. Is that perceived as a hijack? Hopefully not.

I can think of two solutions. Help us in the post by asking direct questions or telling us what you want or don't want in response. Then, try to reply in kind.

i.e. ask directly for feedback (i.e. anything but about the poster), advice, simular experiences, information, empathy,
encouragement, ... Or say it's FYI, or leave it open for pot luck. (anything is ok).

What do you think?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#210310 - 03/12/08 03:16 PM Re: "Take me to Cuba" [Re: LandOfShadow]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
I think I am in the company of wise men...
LoS, Freedom49 & mogigo

Craig

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.