Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blakanezebruh (43), OneWithStrength (37), Parker (45), scottyg (42)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446625 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#208233 - 03/01/08 12:46 PM Breath, breathing...
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
My T has gotten me very slowly to be aware of, notice my breathing. Slowly I've become aware of how subjects, events cause me to hold my breath, stop breathing, sigh, etc.

In general, all this body awareness stuff (there's lots more) has been real pay dirt for me, but the breath stuff has been difficult. Mostly I can't find it.

Some tips I've seen are:

"breathing through it"...
What's that? Sometimes, when something triggery happens, I shift my awareness to my breath and consciously keep breathing deeply. It does seem to help.

anxiety
When you're super anxious, try breathing deeply. Something about keeping CO2 from building up and triggering more anxiety?

What else can you share about this?

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#208248 - 03/01/08 02:16 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: LandOfShadow]
Freedom49 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
I have never noticed this. This is a really interesting thing. I will have to pay attention to this sometime.

#209123 - 03/06/08 12:05 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: Freedom49]
DeafDavid Offline

Loc: NM
I too have noticed that deep breathing can help. My experience recently has been that I had surgery and there is a lot of physical pain associated with it. When the pain doctor worked with me, he showed me some deep breathing exercises that do in fact help. I am a kinda shy guy too and when I get into a place where I feel uncomfortable, I have found that the deep breathing does help me relax a little and that helps me as well. Just thought I'd add my two cents..

David

#209126 - 03/06/08 12:18 PM Re: Breath, breathing... *DELETED* [Re: DeafDavid]
awakening Offline
MaleSurvivor

Post deleted by awakening

#209130 - 03/06/08 12:36 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: awakening]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Hello all

when you have a moment or 2, another interesting thing to try is

gently breathing in through the nose while counting in yer head... start with up to 3 or 4
then hold it GENTLY ~ ya aint popping yer ears here \:\) ~ for the same count as inhalation
exhale gently through the mouth for double the inhalation count

in other words breathe in thru shnoz 1,2,3,4
hold gently 1,2,3,4
exhale thru mouth 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
try to match the same counting/breathing pace throughout

try for a minute or so
shallow breathing keeps stale air in the lungs
this method is yogic & helps to clear your lungs out

+++ if you feel lightheaded at anytime STOP +++
I sometimes try this while walking at a slow pace too

I think proper breathing is something that should be taught in grade 1

Craig

#209134 - 03/06/08 12:58 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: ineffable]
VLinvictus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
You can even use breath awareness as a form of regular meditation.

Sit or lie down in comfortable place where you will undisturbed for 15-20 minutes and remove as many distracting noises as possible.

Close your eyes lightly and start inhaling and exhaling slowly and deeply. Focus your awareness on your breath going in and out, filling your lungs and then being blown out again. The key is to relax your mind as well as your body -- thoughts will come up to distract you from the breathing. Don't fight to push them out of your mind, just acknowledge them and genty return your awarenes to your breathing.

I don't do this nearly as much as I would like, but it works great for me. A friend of mine does 20 minutes of this kind of meditation every day and it has tremendously improved his mood and outlook on life.

Dan

#209175 - 03/06/08 06:14 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: VLinvictus]
menspeakout Offline
New Here

I have panic attacks every so often and my breathing is so fast and shallow that it feels like I can't catch up with my breathing enough. I too have had to consciously look at my breathing.

I meditate every so often, which really has helped me. I have a routine where I can 'rediscover' my breathing and get myself to relax. I'd recommend meditation or yoga to anybody to get their breathing under control.

#209180 - 03/06/08 06:41 PM Re: Breath, breathing... [Re: menspeakout]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Allan,

In almost every aspect of my recovery I have heard at one point or another the advice to take slow deep breaths. As a recent Mike Lew workshop in NYC, he had signs halfway down the hall: "Don't forget to breathe." \:\) It was pretty good advice! When things during the workshop got intense he would remind us again, and that always seemed to help.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.