Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AdawgJR (28), Brian (50), hikerpark (52), Jeremy Welch (47), Logan81 (2014), Olson30 (60), Patrick7958 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (WriterKeith), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441311 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#208964 - 03/05/08 11:53 AM Re: The reason I didn't finish college? [Re: KeithR]
J.R. Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I started college right after I graduated high school, and that was probably not the best idea. I went to college just because it was "the thing to do". Well, I did OK the first semester, but after that I went downhill. I noticed it's not only with college, but many things, that I just can't finish what I start, whether a project, school, work, etc. Anybody have any insight for me? I started drinking, hanging out with "friends" who didn't have my best interest in mind and all that happy jazz. Well, I eventually left and dropped out. Now I am back in college, and am doing well, but feel like it's too much stress right now with all the abuse recovery I am dealing with. I'll finish this semester, but I don't know if I shoudl continue next semester, or wait a while? I wish you the best.

JR

#208972 - 03/05/08 01:01 PM Re: The reason I didn't finish college? [Re: J.R.]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
For me, school was a total disaster from the time the SA started till I was 26+ and made another attempt at it.

Grades 1-2: Perfect..."true college material" they called me.
Grades 2-8: I can barely remember ever engaging in my education at all.

Highschool: It took me 5 years to get through it all..and even with that extra year, I barely had enough credits to graduate.

age 18: Attempted a community college...fully failed

age 20: Computer Tech School for 9 months...did really well and ended up working in the computer field in the 1980s...but the mental deamons were on my trail.

age 26: "woke up" in Germany during a drunken, drugged-out stupor, while consulting for a company there. Realized I needed an education and returned to the states...went to State College. By know, I had enough of my head screwed on right to do well in school. I realy engaged it for all it had to offer.

age 30: Graduated from State College and was accepted to an MBA program at a Big East school.

age 32: Graduated with an MBA in Marketing.

So Jason, your future path is not etched in stone. Things can change as time goes on. I had to be bold and just close my eyes and jump into things to make change happen for me.

BTW: I try not to equate my sence of self worth with what I do for work, my income or my education. I found those to be empty and futile pursuits. If you see in the member's section what is going on with me, you'll understand...money, position, education....it needs to be kept in perspective.

Edited by Robbie Brown (03/05/08 01:37 PM)

Still's Globs

New Video

#209074 - 03/06/08 04:00 AM Re: The reason I didn't finish college? [Re: Still]
copenbay Offline

Hi,

Though I did make it through college, it sure took a look time. I dropped out once, for about five years, less than a year away from graduation. For me, sixth and seventh grades were very rough. My concentration was mostly on staying alive, in one piece, during that time. It took most of the next two years to catch up to where I was supposed to be, though I'm a fairly intelligent person.
Of course, my college degree hasn't helped me a great deal. I mostly work temp jobs, because I hate the rejection process of interviews. So it's more than just hard work to get ahead in any way, and struggles are understandable. Maybe not the final say, but that's not my call.
Though I'm a graduate, I think I'm probably still a disappointment to most of my family, who think I'm an underachiever, and don't see why I don't have better jobs, more success, etc.
I did enjoy studies, for the most part, but that doesn't always carry over to selling myself to any employer or believing I can do any job presented to me. Strange how CSA can change your view of yourself to the point that success turns to survival, and even accepting yourself as a decent human being rather than a piece of shit takes a lot of work.
Bottom line: grad or no grad, success in this life may have much more to do with the man you are, rather than who others expect you to be, and being content with enjoying where you are, even if it's not where you want to be yet.

Ed

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.